SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

11 minutes ago, the green team said:

Really?  I think he’s a decent coach, and there is no doubt that position group can run block well.  But to me part of the problems of being able to find receivers further down the field and our line doesn’t typically sustain a lot of time in the pass block game.  I can’t tell you how many how many times I got to 2 Mississippi— and it was already scramble & extend time.  Is it any wonder that we ran quick passing/ WR screen, more often than not. (Which everyone here is sick of).  To me, no one is irreplaceable.  

3 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Huge discrepancy between our run blocking and pass blocking ability. 

Are we putting too much into pushing NDSU around in the run game while ignoring 15 yards and 68 yards on the ground vrs UNI and Jacks respectively?  Valid points on pass block game, too.  Whether counting Mississippis or Bananas the pocket collapsed at 2, agreed.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Huge discrepancy between our run blocking and pass blocking ability. 

A lot of variables to pass pro, though, such as whether or not you should be passing it to begin with …

Or whether to throw hot or stick with it downfield … which falls on the trigger man himself.  

18 hours ago, Dustin said:

Possibly not the best, just the most likely. You never know how Danny would be as HC until he actually is one. 

Agreed it’s most likely, but definitely not the best. If NDSU operated like UND has/does, they would’ve promoted their offensive coordinator Tyler Roehl. Instead, they hire former NDSU offensive coordinator and most recent Wyoming OC Tim Polasek…

Freund most likely to get HC job at UND down the road, but remember, UND also has a recent coordinator that is now a coordinator at a Mountain West school … 

yeah ok… too aggressive for UND to ever dare to do something like that ….

12 minutes ago, AJS said:

None of them a surprise after Miller's most recent breakdown of the roster.

Five UND football players inform coaching staff they plan to use fifth season - Grand Forks Herald | Grand Forks, East Grand Forks news, weather & sports

Any reason to hold out hope that Fort will be back?

Glad Beach will be back. Hope he adds some weight. Hoping Nav gets quicker. Hembry was really good at times so I’m glad he’s back! 

Tom Miller Potential Offensive Starters for 2024

QB- Feeney or Kaminski  

RB- Ziebarth

WR- Belquist, Tai, Dennis

TE- Vaughn, Norby, Behymer (transfer)

OL- LT Anderson, LG Buxa, C Borud, RG Hagen, RT Thaden

QB-Kind of excited for the QB battle to take place this year!

RB-Not worried much about the RB room with Ziebarth, Smith and Siedel. Brunnel seems like he could be ready and hopefully can get some reps.

WR-Would like to maybe see some WR help come in from the portal with the loss of Wright and Eledor.

TE-Really interested to see if they start using TE in the passing game more with a different qb. And of course the Quincy formations will continue!

OL- Seems to be fine except for the fact that lost the two best. Thaden who I believe moved from TE is listed at 260 lbs so he would have to bulk up a lot this offseason. I think they should still be looking for transfer portal help there also.

2 hours ago, GoHawks said:

Tom Miller potential defensive starters for 2024

DE- Shultz, Mohr

NG- Orlando, Beach

OLB- Rucker, Navratil

ILB- Pedigo, McNeal, Kelley

CB- Hembry, Bluiett, Avery Scott (Transfer)

S- Davis, Erkman, Jy Martin (Transfer)

This list scares me! Of this list I only feel comfortable at the ILB and Corner spots. 

DE- Not much experience and undersized at 240 and 245 pounds. Would like to see Teiken step up at this position.

NG- Plenty of experience just need more help and a big boy like Griffin was.

OLB- Rucker gained some experience and looks to have a nice future. Need this position to step up.

S- Biggest question mark for this defense. I am guessing that Fort is not returning or Miller would have him listed? Erkman has zero experience and what I saw from Davis does not look good. 

Need to hit the Portal hard for some DL, OLB and safety help before spring ball preferably. 

2024 might be the final nail in the coffin. We’ll see. 

I know some games some teams looked physically bigger and faster. Hopefully with a new strength coach, that will not be as much of a factor against the top tier teams of FCS.

Offense will about the same for next year, it will be interesting to see how QB play develop….hopefully we will see more QB run game since the depth there is deep.  Defense needs to do fricken figure it out, 2 straight years of horrendous 3rd down play is 1.5 years too long. As many said get more depth/competition to start. Get bigger, stronger and faster with our D-Line.

7 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

UND was #1 last year in kickoff return yards. You are a clown if you think we need a special teams coach……. We all know who we are talking about……..

Doesn’t matter what we want at this point. Coaching staff is staying together for 2024.

Fork in the road coming up though - does the team get better or worse? I see the latter with subsequent changes thereafter, but we’ll see. 

21 hours ago, GoHawks said:

Tom Miller potential defensive starters for 2024

DE- Shultz, Mohr

NG- Orlando, Beach

OLB- Rucker, Navratil

ILB- Pedigo, McNeal, Kelley

CB- Hembry, Bluiett, Avery Scott (Transfer)

S- Davis, Erkman, Jy Martin (Transfer)

This list scares me! Of this list I only feel comfortable at the ILB and Corner spots. 

DE- Not much experience and undersized at 240 and 245 pounds. Would like to see Teiken step up at this position.

NG- Plenty of experience just need more help and a big boy like Griffin was.

OLB- Rucker gained some experience and looks to have a nice future. Need this position to step up.

S- Biggest question mark for this defense. I am guessing that Fort is not returning or Miller would have him listed? Erkman has zero experience and what I saw from Davis does not look good. 

Need to hit the Portal hard for some DL, OLB and safety help before spring ball preferably. 

I will say this, it's exciting to see those five names listed. Bluiett expected, not surprised with Schultz / Rucker either. Mohr / Erkman, rave reviews for both. 

S - #1 most nervous spot with a bullet. Minimum you need one more from the portal. 

D-Line: Three from the portal

OLB - Unless Boecker takes this huge step, there's nobody behind the two starters. Need from the portal.

How's this for optimism. I don't think you could get worse than last year at 2 of the 6 positions listed (OLB / DE). As it stands now, this group could be rough. Get a handful of quality transfers and that can change quickly. 

18 minutes ago, Green Banner said:

Brian Shawn from Midco tweeted out the home schedule for next 2 seasons. It has NDSU playing in Forks in 24 and 25. Why is NDSU playing in GF 3 years in a row? 

UND is at NDSU next year.  2025 and 2026 the teams play in GF back to back for some reason. 

In the recruiting thread there was talk about where the team is at and playoffs 4 of last 5 years etc. 

My take is

Where we were before Bubba and where we are now is has been an improvement. As stated offense is better but needs to be more consistent and defense was decent to good has dropped especially the last two years. 

The team and especially the staff (very much most of us on this forum) that beating NDSU and making the playoffs is no longer good enough. Need to make deep playoff runs and a title. Next years schedule is tougher but we get a few more pieces on D and have effective schemes we could go from 6 wins to 8-10. 

If we don’t get the latter I would think there will be more coaching changes next year. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, UND Football Fan said:

In the recruiting thread there was talk about where the team is at and playoffs 4 of last 5 years etc. 

My take is

Where we were before Bubba and where we are now is has been an improvement. As stated offense is better but needs to be more consistent and defense was decent to good has dropped especially the last two years. 

The team and especially the staff (very much most of us on this forum) that beating NDSU and making the playoffs is no longer good enough. Need to make deep playoff runs and a title. Next years schedule is tougher but we get a few more pieces on D and have effective schemes we could go from 6 wins to 8-10. 

If we don’t get the latter I would think there will be more coaching changes next year. 

At some point, we need a clean slate. Preferably sooner rather than later. New culture. New ideas. You either change the culture or the culture changes you. The past ten seasons have been okay, but could’ve been so much better. Bring in some outside influence and get this thing rolling. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

At some point, we need a clean slate. Preferably sooner rather than later. New culture. New ideas. You either change the culture or the culture changes you. The past ten seasons have been okay, but could’ve been so much better. Bring in some outside influence and get this thing rolling. 

I agree with you. I know this affects people's lives, but we need a house cleaning (starting at the top) and a restart. UND needs to develop a culture where teams don't want to play UND in the playoffs. I am tired of first round exits and getting beat in the first round at the Alerus Center. This program oozes mediocrity. Good enough isn't good enough anymore. This mindset that it takes time to build a winning program is a loser's limp. How many years do we need to do the same thing over and over again? 

• Like 4