SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

3 hours ago, shep said:

Not sure it belongs here, but Shannon is done with the 360 guys.

Dang, I will miss him on there. Sure Kelly maybe couldn't always say what he wanted too, but I always liked Shannon on the show and the History he brought with his quizzes etc.. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, F'n Hawks said:

Shannon no longer doing 360. Should I not read too far into this?

IMO one of those situations where Shannon voluntarily put in a lot of time in content development but with the history and research the rest of the team is able to do (especially KellY) there might be less window dressings but the content should continue to be solid. 

14 hours ago, Hawks_UND said:

Rumor is Baukol has been fired. Don’t think this will help us get stops on third down but you always need a scapegoat I guess. 

Would be a start. Leftover from Mussman era. UND players consistently not looking that “type” compared to xDSU’s players and development will be even more key with transfer portal (FBS programs keep plucking FCS players). Also, prevent injuries, prevent injuries, prevent injuries. 

10 hours ago, shep said:

Not sure it belongs here, but Shannon is done with the 360 guys.

Addition by subtraction, in terms of the podcast. Shannon, like his brother, is a really nice guy; but you can’t have an honest podcast when it’s co-hosted by the inept head coach’s brother. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Addition by subtraction, in terms of the podcast. Shannon, like his brother, is a really nice guy; but you can’t have an honest podcast when it’s co-hosted by the inept head coach’s brother. 

You should start one

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Would be a start. Leftover from Mussman era. UND players consistently not looking that “type” compared to xDSU’s players and development will be even more key with transfer portal (FBS programs keep plucking FCS players). Also, prevent injuries, prevent injuries, prevent injuries. 

Would help if coaches would recruit frame that could possibly look the type. The OL seemed to do just fine better to that point.

15 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Would help if coaches would recruit frame that could possibly look the type. 

100%. We don't "look" like other teams at some positions.

I know a strength guy who if I bring up UND FB Strength program he changes the subject. Midwest-nice way of not saying the negative I guess. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Because they are not who they want us to believe they are.

Even the fan forum to the south banned their village idiot.  There are way too many similarities in their poster(s) and our poster(s) yet they banned him and we would rather chase away posting activity from others.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

21 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

I will admit I know very little about almost everything.

That's 'cause college makes you dumber. 

Proof?
- show up at 18 and you know it all
- leave at 21-22 and you know all the things you don't know
- net effect: dumber

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Would help if coaches would recruit frame that could possibly look the type. The OL seemed to do just fine better to that point.

Always makes it easier if you recruit better players, no doubt. But, when you recruit guys with largely DII offers, and not ideal DI frame like you mention, then you sure better be able to do something with them via weight room and diet when they get on campus …

As for OL, it has been better with OL coach Pawlak on board. The defensive front (DL and OLB/edge) guys however are nowhere near where they need to be.

10 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Always makes it easier if you recruit better players, no doubt. But, when you recruit guys with largely DII offers, and not ideal DI frame like you mention, then you sure better be able to do something with them via weight room and diet when they get on campus …

As for OL, it has been better with OL coach Pawlak on board. The defensive front (DL and OLB/edge) guys however are nowhere near where they need to be.

Unless we recruit the right body types it doesn’t matter who is our SC coach. It’s been a gripe of mine from day 1 under Bubba. What’s odd is we have nice body types on the OL. Then you look at Bubbas supposed expertise, the defensive side, we are recruiting guys who aren’t big or long enough. Movement is number 1 always but if a guy gets there and gets run over it doesn’t matter how well they move.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Unless we recruit the right body types it doesn’t matter who is our SC coach. It’s been a gripe of mine from day 1 under Bubba. What’s odd is we have nice body types on the OL. Then you look at Bubbas supposed expertise, the defensive side, we are recruiting guys who aren’t big or long enough. Movement is number 1 always but if a guy gets there and gets run over it doesn’t matter how well they move.

Body types is a good start, but a lot of those guys are highly recruited, and thus hard to get to commit to UND. But I agree the recruiting needs to be better. Have to get more.

Late bloomers, so to speak, are nice to grab, and then what you do with those guys after they get on campus is what it is all about, especially at the FCS level. NDSU has been very good at this, hence their next level type of success. SDSU has become good at this now also. Of course, the worry is all this good development at the FCS level is just going to benefit the FBS teams as much as anything (transfer portal making FCS even more of a developmental level for the big boys).

We can all agree the defensive front is not where it needs to be. The offensive front, for how good it has become, is still not being relied upon consistently in the running game under Freund, which of course has been a hot topic this year.

21 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I think we recruit the right bodies but they are not quick and are too slow, result of S and C?

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Dang, I will miss him on there. Sure Kelly maybe couldn't always say what he wanted too, but I always liked Shannon on the show and the History he brought with his quizzes etc.. 

best thing to have happened to the podcast, listeners are tired of not getting the entire opinion out of Nelson and Howe. I’m sure their former teammates are some of the most vocal of the critics. We don’t need fan boys running the podcast

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

not getting the entire opinion out of Nelson and Howe

One thing I noticed Kelly especially does is when there is an inexcusable blunder (like 4th and 24 at Murray State) he places blame squarely on the players for not understanding the situation.  Now, would he have turned at least some of the blame to coaches for not preparing players for the situation on the coaching staff had Shannon not been in the room?  Not sure, but it would be a more authentic if the participants didn't have to speak in front of the coach's brother.

On another topic of discussion, is it too much to ask for two Schweigerts to hang it up when it comes to UND football??!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dustin said:

One thing I noticed Kelly especially does is when there is an inexcusable blunder (like 4th and 24 at Murray State) he places blame squarely on the players for not understanding the situation.  Now, would he have turned at least some of the blame to coaches for not preparing players for the situation on the coaching staff had Shannon not been in the room?  Not sure, but it would be a more authentic if the participants didn't have to speak in front of the coach's brother.

On another topic of discussion, is it too much to ask for two Schweigerts to hang it up when it comes to UND football??!!

I’d blame the players on that one too. It’s such a basic sports concept

• Upvote 3