SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Non-UND FCS thread

The Sicatoka

37 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Did you miss the 3% lodging tax.  City and the county would increase.

Didnt miss it at all. But its a separate item. BTW I ve been to cities with a bigger hotel tax than Fargo. Why conflate the two?

8 hours ago, bison73 said:

BTW I ve been to cities with a bigger hotel tax than Fargo. 

So have I and I noted it.
Events I control won't be in those places and I point it out to others who site events. 

I stayed in Baxter/Brainerd earlier this month: 10.89% net tax on the room (state, county, city, lodging).

Fargo's mayor is also looking to raise property taxes this cycle. That combo is not going to sit well with tax paying voters.   

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

Does this include all the great shopping in West Fargo? 

Fargo city sales tax. 

On 13th Ave the WF/Fargo line is Spitfire*.

*A little shout to Spitfire because last I knew it's owned by a UND graduate. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Don't we hear from @Bison Dan that Fargodome operates at a profit?
Where are those dollars for improvements? Why tax increases? 

About seating: They should salvage the red/blue seats and sell them to VCSU to redo Lokken Stadium. :D 

They don't need it...their seats are way nicer at Lokken!

DSC_0327_J3rwH.JPG

As an anti-NDSU Fargo resident who never goes to the Dome you would think this would be an automatic no vote. I’ll be voting yes. The phrase lipstick on a pig would be appropriate. The way I look at it, vote yes, you won’t hear about anything in relation to big updates / new building for 30 years.

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Don't we hear from @Bison Dan that Fargodome operates at a profit?
Where are those dollars for improvements? Why tax increases? 

About seating: They should salvage the red/blue seats and sell them to VCSU to redo Lokken Stadium. :D 

Really - the dome has always been profitable except the Covid years.  The Alerus has never been if you take the subsidy hotel and restaurant away.   Did you even read the article?  They're putting 30M of the dome money into it.  By the way Fargo's tax will be 7.75 if it passes.  Just wait for the sales tax for the Alerus goes away in 29, who's going to pay for the improvements?  That tax will never go away.

5 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

The Alerus has never been if you take the subsidy hotel and restaurant away.   They're putting 30M of the dome money into it.  

Subsidy? Like a lodging tax going from 3 to 6%? 

And that $30M should've been put to use doing facilities improvements already. The lavatory facilities at Fargodome are a joke*. 

*I am so struggling to not make a Bud Light NDSU sponsorship, no one would notice Dylan in the men's room because women have to already because it's so bad, joke here. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Subsidy? Like a lodging tax going from 3 to 6%? 

And that $30M should've been put to use doing facilities improvements already. The lavatory facilities at Fargodome are a joke*. 

*I am so struggling to not make a Bud Light NDSU sponsorship, no one would notice Dylan in the men's room because women have to already because it's so bad, joke here. 

The dome has never had a lodging tax for it, if this passes it will have one for payment of the bonds not for the operating losses like the Alerus has.  You are really struggling to be negative and why would you care anyway.  We'll see what the Alerus needs after 30 years and what the city will do after 29 to support and do upgrades for it.  Another tax?

44 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

You are really struggling to be negative ... 

Then allow me to be positive:

- I'm positive the mayor of Fargo is looking to raise property and utility taxes outside of this proposal (already raised the utility franchise fee)
- I'm positive this requires 60% supermajority to pass
- I'm positive in this (inflationary) economic climate this will have trouble at the polls