SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2023-24

cberkas

13 hours ago, 1972 said:

Did anyone  catch the anthem to start the BU game?  Good gawd, where the he'll did they find that singer?  That was rough to listen to

She was a little "pitchy"?  That's probably the nicest way to describe it.;)

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Kevin G said:

Northeastern lost seven games in a row in the early part of the season. Talk about a turnaround.

True, but that said, they didn't impress me much at all.  BU was skating circles around them, and they just were hoping for an odd man rush every once in a while.  Kudos to them, it worked.   

• Upvote 1

The NCAA tourney field looks very tough this year.  If a team is fortunate enough to make a regional final, they will probably have to beat a very good team.

We've seen UND pass the eye test against some of those top teams, but we've also seen them lose some of those games.  Basically the corner-pickers are going to have to be on target, and the goalie will need to be at his best.  

12 hours ago, TwamleyShuffle said:

Wasn’t the issue that UMinn didn’t want to take part in the tourney?

Minnesota won the first one in a shootout that everyone wasn’t happy with. Then proceeded to win only the 2017 3rd place game. 

It also looked like Minnesota was going to keep Bemidji in the tournament just so they didn’t have to go there for two home games and changed the terms to the team not in it would get two home games to a home and home. 

3 hours ago, jk said:

The NCAA tourney field looks very tough this year.  If a team is fortunate enough to make a regional final, they will probably have to beat a very good team.

We've seen UND pass the eye test against some of those top teams, but we've also seen them lose some of those games.  Basically the corner-pickers are going to have to be on target, and the goalie will need to be at his best.  

If the NCAA regionals were seeded 1v16 etc, some great historical matchups come up:  8v9 is a rematch of the last final, Minnesota vs Quinnipiac, 7v10 is Denver vs UMass, who played a classic OT matchup in 2019. 3v14 BU v Cornell would be a rematch of 1972 final, the last time Cornell made the final game.  And 2v15 (which won’t happen due to auto bids) is UND vs Michigan, who last met in the FF in 2011 argh. Speaking of finding the corners and hot goalies. 

1 hour ago, farce poobah said:

If the NCAA regionals were seeded 1v16 etc, some great historical matchups come up:  8v9 is a rematch of the last final, Minnesota vs Quinnipiac, 7v10 is Denver vs UMass, who played a classic OT matchup in 2019. 3v14 BU v Cornell would be a rematch of 1972 final, the last time Cornell made the final game.  And 2v15 (which won’t happen due to auto bids) is UND vs Michigan, who last met in the FF in 2011 argh. Speaking of finding the corners and hot goalies. 

2016, when the ref leveled Cagguila after his opening goal and Sanderson had the stick-drop tip in. Ended Kyle Connor, Zach Werenski, Zach Hyman and Tyler Motte's NCAA careers.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

2016, when the ref leveled Cagguila after his opening goal and Sanderson had the stick-drop tip in. Ended Kyle Connor, Zach Werenski, Zach Hyman and Tyler Motte's NCAA careers.

Good memory. That Michigan team was pretty loaded--12 drafted players--and Connor (71 pts, +34) and Compher (63 pts, +35) were absolute beasts. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/12/2024 at 3:09 PM, RedFrog said:

What is up with the CCHA this year?  Mankato is their highest Pairwise team at 29 and the AHA has two teams higher (RIT 22 and Holy Cross 27).  I don't have the inter-conference records but the CCHA must have been blasted this year.

Another note is on CC.  They have a couple of comparisons they are losing to Augustana and Arizona State that will take a sweep of DU at the end of the year to flip.  Those two comparisons could prove very costly to their NCAA aspirations.

I mean, Mankato has typically propped up the conference when it comes to non-conference for years. We lost our top 9 scorers either through graduation, leaving early or going in the transfer portal in addition to all 3 coaches, the hockey ops and strength and conditioning coach. To put the player in context, the 3 that went to wisconsin have 23 goals and 65 points.

As for the rest of the conference, tech shat the bed. BG had a police investigation a week or two before the season. Nmu lost a few guys and are badly underachieving. Msu is still in 1st place (Granted we have a couple games in hand, so that plays into it. Just goes to show how important one or two teams are in non-conference results.

44 minutes ago, bale31 said:

I mean, Mankato has typically propped up the conference when it comes to non-conference for years. We lost our top 9 scorers either through graduation, leaving early or going in the transfer portal in addition to all 3 coaches, the hockey ops and strength and conditioning coach. To put the player in context, the 3 that went to wisconsin have 23 goals and 65 points.

As for the rest of the conference, tech shat the bed. BG had a police investigation a week or two before the season. Nmu lost a few guys and are badly underachieving. Msu is still in 1st place (Granted we have a couple games in hand, so that plays into it. Just goes to show how important one or two teams are in non-conference results.

Swankler being a non-factor at Tech is poetic justice.

14 hours ago, bale31 said:

I think the CCHA has a bright future, assuming there aren't major shakeups with conf realignment.  BG will be back, and I believe they are planning or in the process of a small renovation, Mankato THE Minnesota State, Tech have solid programs, and Augie and St. Thomas both have bright futures.  It will be fun to see how the top of the conference shakes out over the next few years, but I think we will see a nice 3 way rivalry develop between Augie, St. Thomas, and MN State.  The two new private schools will hopefully push everyone in the league to improve.   Ferris really needs to renovate their arena or build new, as well.  They have the enrollment to do it, and if they could improve their facility that would help the league a ton.

Given that Lindenwood cut about 9 programs, its apparent that they will be able to invest more into hockey as well.  If they can become more competitive over the next couple years, anyone think the CCHA would be interested in giving them an offer?  I could see them as an eventual NCHC program, if they build the program and fan base up enough to move into family arena...

New bracketology from USCHO:

Not quite as much mayhem as last week since Maine dropped to a #2 seed and UMass moved up to a #3.
Some very intriguing 1st round matchups here.

Providence, R.I.
1. Boston College
8. Minnesota
9. Quinnipiac
16. Bemidji State

Springfield, Mass.
3. Boston University
7. Denver
10. Massachusetts
14. Cornell

Sioux Falls, S.D.
2. North Dakota
6. Maine
11. Western Michigan
15. RIT

Maryland Heights, Mo.
4. Wisconsin
5. Michigan State
12. Providence
13. St. Cloud State

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, brianvf said:

Not quite as much mayhem as last week since Maine dropped to a #2 seed and UMass moved up to a #3.

Providence, R.I.
1. Boston College
8. Minnesota
9. Quinnipiac
16. Bemidji State

Springfield, Mass.
3. Boston University
7. Denver
10. Massachusetts
14. Cornell

Sioux Falls, S.D.
2. North Dakota
6. Maine
11. Western Michigan
15. RIT

Maryland Heights, Mo.
4. Wisconsin
5. Michigan State
12. Providence
13. St. Cloud State

I'd definitely take that bracket. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, brianvf said:

Providence, R.I.
1. Boston College
8. Minnesota
9. Quinnipiac
16. Bemidji State

Springfield, Mass.
3. Boston University
7. Denver
10. Massachusetts
14. Cornell

Sioux Falls, S.D.
2. North Dakota
6. Maine
11. Western Michigan
15. RIT

Maryland Heights, Mo.
4. Wisconsin
5. Michigan State
12. Providence
13. St. Cloud State

I have a feeling we are destined to be battling UMTC on Saturday night in Sioux Falls.

• Upvote 1

Three big Hockey East Contests before our game starts tonight

#1 BC vs #10 U MASS
#3 BU vs #11 Providence
#6 Maine vs #16 UNH

All I believe will be on ESPN Plus. Normally I cancel ESPN Plus after the UND football season is over but it has been neat getting to watch these games out east this season.

• Upvote 1

If you haven't read "This Week in College Hockey" on CHN, do yourself a favor - don't. He (McMahon) schools us on how the Hobey should work and lists the games of the week, including the highlight of the NCHC schedule, which is UND at CC. Gee, I was thinking that maybe Miami vs Bye or St. Cloud vs Bye might be the choice.

1 minute ago, fargosioux said:

Harrison Blaisdell with a great effort to start off the scoring for UNH over Maine.

Beat me to it!  I was literally just gonna post that.
Blaisdell with the goal and Hellsten in net for UNH.  Two former UND guys.