SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 NCAA Regionals

Kevin G

3 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

It was in 2014 as well;)

Not even close.  Union College was a quality team.  Gopher fans were crazy in thinking they were going to the Dutchmen out.  One of the great individual performances in title game history by “The Ghost” too. 

Just now, MafiaMan said:

Not even close.  Union College was a quality team.  Gopher fans were crazy in thinking they were going to the Dutchmen out.  One of the great individual performances in title game history by “The Ghost” too. 

With the way they celebrated beating UND, Gopher fans thought they had it in the bag.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

With the way they celebrated beating UND, Gopher fans thought they had it in the bag.

Yeah they definitely thought it was in the bag. But they were the only ones who did. I met some Boston College fans after the semifinals and they thought the Gophers were going to get destroyed by Union. 

19 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I'm hopeful that UMN overlooks BU a bit, in hopes of a B10 showdown vs Michigan.  And then the Hutson bros crush their dreams.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I'm hopeful that UMN overlooks BU a bit, in hopes of a B10 showdown vs Michigan.  And then the Hutson bros crush their dreams.

BU is a solid hockey team. I’ve been impressed with their game. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them beat the Goofs. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

+7 in a 7-4 game.

16 hours ago, nodak651 said:

If we're being honest here, our fanbase is probably more insufferable.  It seemed that most of the fan base wanted Hak fired after all... this is prob what we deserve.  

What we deserve? Being passionate about the program is not a sin. I don't think the tweet I was referencing would have been sent by UND's hockey Twitter account. And calling for a coaches head is hardly exclusive to our fan base or this sport (Gopher fans were calling for Lucia's head for years). If you are talking about that insane All Things Fighting Sioux Facebook group, you may have a point. Anyway........F the Gophers.

34 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

What we deserve? Being passionate about the program is not a sin. I don't think the tweet I was referencing would have been sent by UND's hockey Twitter account. And calling for a coaches head is hardly exclusive to our fan base or this sport (Gopher fans were calling for Lucia's head for years). If you are talking about that insane All Things Fighting Sioux Facebook group, you may have a point. Anyway........F the Gophers.

The only part of your post that my comment was in response to was the "most insufferable fan base" part.  

Having a passionate fan base isn't a sin.. agreed.  Maybe karma is a better word.  A fan base that is unhappy about 7 Frozen Fours in 11 years (i.e. actually wants the coach fired) is, no doubt, insufferable, though.  Add to that the nickname voting crap,  Sioux Forever, and the people who !@#$ on other UND sports... 

17 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

The only part of your post that my comment was in response to was the "most insufferable fan base" part.  

Having a passionate fan base isn't a sin.. agreed.  Maybe karma is a better word.  A fan base that is unhappy about 7 Frozen Fours in 11 years (i.e. actually wants the coach fired) is, no doubt, insufferable, though.  Add to that the nickname voting crap,  Sioux Forever, and the people who !@#$ on other UND sports... 

Seven Frozen Fours in 11 years without a single NCAA title was maddening, especially since it happened over and over again. It was like we just kept doing the same things and expected different results. Bad karma is not cashing in when you have the chance, because you never know how many chances you will get. This current stretch we are on now makes all those semifinal losses even harder to swallow.

The nickname voting crap was the work of UND's administration, not the fans. The Sioux Forever nonsense is annoying, but I have learned to tune it out. The crapping on other UND sports I agree with you on. I have been fighting that for years.

That all being said, none of that compares to the official Gopher Hockey Twitter account taking cheap shots at a school that wasn't even in the tournament this year. Gopher fans are insufferable whether they are winning or losing. Anyway.......F the Gophers.

13 hours ago, bale31 said:

I'm not too proud to admit the petty side.of me wants to see qu vs bu in the final just so the big ten bozos have to quiet down a bit.

So you've seen the rest of my bracket. I've only missed DU and Hahvid so far. ;) 

20 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

As compared to North Dakota fans busting out the Holy Cross jerseys and chants whenever they play Minnesota…it’s been 17 years, we can stop with that now, right?

Or how about the one's that are complaining about the pairwise and wanting to get rid of auto-bids because UND wasn't in the tournament...

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

As compared to North Dakota fans busting out the Holy Cross jerseys and chants whenever they play Minnesota…it’s been 17 years, we can stop with that now, right?

I'd argue a slight difference between fan actions and the official team account making the comment.
Guessing Motzko wasn't the one to endorse that idea, especially given him and Berry's relationship.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I'd argue a slight difference between fan actions and the official team account making the comment.
Guessing Motzko wasn't the one to endorse that idea, especially given him and Berry's relationship.

I’d agree with that, but we all know the student intern isn’t consulting Motzko on Tweets before hitting the “post” button.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

I'd be willing to bet that the intern who wrote that will probably be retracting that tweet...

21 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

I'd be willing to bet that the intern who wrote that will probably be retracting that tweet...

I didn't think much of it.

Fair Hurtful But Fair Christina Applegate GIF - Fair Hurtful But Fair  Christina Applegate Jen Harding - Discover & Share GIFs

I did see Several Gopher staff, like their equipment manager and others thanked and commended the UND staff on their running of the regional.

Are we that soft?  The tweet wasn't even that bad... lol.   Not even CLOSE to as low as ASU's antics after their win in Vegas!  Should have been giving us a heartfelt thanks for the opportunity and instead they rubbed our nose in their one off win.  To be honest, I would have been disappointed in the Gophers if they didn't acknowledge the circumstances of their presence in Fargo, which they did in that tweet as a direct response to how we handled the Holy Cross game, as mentioned by mafiaman. 

It's all we really have these days to keep a little bit of the rivalry going..  Anyone remember when Lucia wanted to put the rivalry on ice because it was too "intense", or whatever it was that he said?  Would hate to go back to that mindset... BORING!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1