SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

18 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

There is a lot to read, and I honestly do not want to go back and read it all, so if this has been covered, I apologize.
What if most of these players that are entering the transfer portal have been told by the staff that they should enter it? Let's be honest most of these players that are entering it didn't play or were not overly exciting as players and Berry think's that they aren't going to get better. The portal has been a detriment to college sports, but it also is a good way to clean house from players that aren't cutting it anymore.

I partially agree with the exception of Constantini.  From what I watched he brought some speed up front and I feel that we needed some of that last year.  I'm guessing there are a few variables that led to him leaving UND.  He might have been asked/told but I have a hard time believing the coaches wanted him to leave. Its not like there's a big traffic jam in the forward group and even if there was, Constantini wouldn't be on my list of players to move on from.  That's a subjective opinion from a fan that doesn't know what's going on behind the scenes. 

29 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

There is a lot to read, and I honestly do not want to go back and read it all, so if this has been covered, I apologize.
What if most of these players that are entering the transfer portal have been told by the staff that they should enter it? Let's be honest most of these players that are entering it didn't play or were not overly exciting as players and Berry think's that they aren't going to get better. The portal has been a detriment to college sports, but it also is a good way to clean house from players that aren't cutting it anymore.

But those leaving  were all "great" in '21-'22 on this forum and UND had the "best d-core in the country" for '22-'23. 

Would really enjoy our favorite hockey beat writer to ask the really hard questions as to why the man in charge thinks there has been such turnover. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BusinessSoot said:

But those leaving  were all "great" in '21-'22 on this forum and UND had the "best d-core in the country" for '22-'23. 

Would really enjoy our favorite hockey beat writer to ask the really hard questions as to why the man in charge thinks there has been such turnover. 

Yes, they could've been great but they also could've regressed in their development. It's no different than a 1st round pick getting his deal and then never even making it passed the AHL and moving onto foreign leagues. 

I am just saying that the portal can work in both parties' interests. We all know that Berry isn't going to let his assistants go so why not let the player leave that isn't able to do what they are coaching.

You are correct in the fact that our "favorite" beat writer should be asking harder questions, instead of giving us a some lame duck article on who is all in the transfer portal and how it's an anomaly.

18 minutes ago, Mhockey said:

I partially agree with the exception of Constantini.  From what I watched he brought some speed up front and I feel that we needed some of that last year.  I'm guessing there are a few variables that led to him leaving UND.  He might have been asked/told but I have a hard time believing the coaches wanted him to leave. Its not like there's a big traffic jam in the forward group and even if there was, Constantini wouldn't be on my list of players to move on from.  That's a subjective opinion from a fan that doesn't know what's going on behind the scenes. 

That's an honest take and actually I would agree with it. 
No one really knows what is going on behind the scenes, but what we do know is that this team underperformed BIG TIME this year and some changes were/are being made.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Great point......cause it was a blast to go to Scheels and watch three MN schools duke it out in a regional UND was hosting. Plus next years top D pairing is looking more and more like @Godsmack and @MafiaMan with @Wilbur between the pipes. 

everythings-gonna-be-ok-kenneth-parcell.gif

With the way the defense is going depth wise there isn't a reason I shouldn't get to skate out a game or two right? 

2 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

Yes, they could've been great but they also could've regressed in their development. It's no different than a 1st round pick getting his deal and then never even making it passed the AHL and moving onto foreign leagues. 

I am just saying that the portal can work in both parties' interests. We all know that Berry isn't going to let his assistants go so why not let the player leave that isn't able to do what they are coaching.

You are correct in the fact that our "favorite" beat writer should be asking harder questions, instead of giving us a some lame duck article on who is all in the transfer portal and how it's an anomaly.

I know in this small market he has to maintain a relationship with coaches but a little probing that might offer some insight into what is happening in our program would be great and probably calm down this board if we can understand what went wrong and how it is being addressed.  All coaches use "coachspeak" but Berry is a master of it leading to the "culture" comments on this board because that is basically all we get out of him.  A little info that coaches have a plan to change things would be great - When we speculate on this board we often assume the worst and many are worried that we are on the road to being in a group that includes Wisconsin.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Irish said:

I know in this small market he has to maintain a relationship with coaches but a little probing that might offer some insight into what is happening in our program would be great and probably calm down this board if we can understand what went wrong and how it is being addressed.  All coaches use "coachspeak" but Berry is a master of it leading to the "culture" comments on this board because that is basically all we get out of him.  A little info that coaches have a plan to change things would be great - When we speculate on this board we often assume the worst and many are worried that we are on the road to being in a group that includes Wisconsin.

Small market or not, Berry still needs to respect (and I am sure he does) all the questions Brad would ask. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

Small market or not, Berry still needs to respect (and I am sure he does) all the questions Brad would ask. 

Maybe I missed it, but has Berry even had the end of season press conference he always has once the season is over? I am waiting to see what questions are asked then. 

29 minutes ago, dustnyou said:

How about some good news! Who else is exited to watch Tyler Kleven’s NHL debut tonight? I can’t wait to watch him put someone on their wallet without getting a penalty for it. K-Train is coming through. Get off the tracks! So happy for this young man. 

Also on a good note , our former captain Mark senden had a goal in his first AHL game

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, dustnyou said:

How about some good news! Who else is exited to watch Tyler Kleven’s NHL debut tonight? I can’t wait to watch him put someone on their wallet without getting a penalty for it. K-Train is coming through. Get off the tracks! So happy for this young man. 

With the way its gone in the NHL I wouldn't be so sure

1 hour ago, dustnyou said:

44 minutes ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

With the way its gone in the NHL I wouldn't be so sure

87C1069A-C9D5-423D-B361-8360F23730AD.jpeg

16 hours ago, FightingSU said:

Just because they weren’t good doesn’t mean it isn’t odd

That's just the thing, it's odd.  I don't think the fan base should be upset at or about the players that left individually (the D men were constantly blasted by the SS.com peanut gallery), but cumulatively it's odd.  I attribute it to players having the mindset that they are more entitled and more likely to jump ship coupled with having a few more misses with players that were projected to have more success.

In the last 3 years I believe we've brought in 5 fr D.  2 are in the NHL, and 3 are gone to the portal.  The portal players will almost certainly, objectively, be trading down with their new program  40% NHL rate in that time period is impressive, but the situation is odd.

I really hate the portal.