SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 Recruiting

Hardcore Hawk

5 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Crap....here we go... hopefully not too many.

Anyone know how many the other MVFC schools have had enter?  I'm sure everyone is facing this issue.

14 hours ago, NDRA said:

Anyone know how many the other MVFC schools have had enter?  I'm sure everyone is facing this issue.

I know other schools will lose guys too, we are not alone. Still sucks though. A good OL guy is probably the worst to lose, but a good OL probably has the most opportunities in the portal as every school is always looking for another good OL player. 

On 4/16/2024 at 9:00 AM, GoHawks said:

Yup. Sam Hagen is in the portal???? Did not see that coming

Any insights into how this goes down? A coach sits across from a player they have spent two years supporting and developing in their academic and athletic life. Kid says everything is fine one day and the next the coach sees them in the portal? 

So the kid was lying and plotting the whole time for a bag of silver. One injury, or they don't meet expectations, and that new school, which sees them as a piece of meat, will throw them on the scrap heap and have a new bag for the next one on the list.

Integrity, honesty, friendships, gone for a bag of silver that will be gone in a year.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

19 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Any insights into how this goes down? A coach sits across from a player they have spent two years supporting and developing in their academic and athletic life. Kid says everything is fine one day and the next the coach sees them in the portal? 

So the kid was lying and plotting the whole time for a bag of silver. One injury, or they don't meet expectations, and that new school, which sees them as a piece of meat, will throw them on the scrap heap and have a new bag for the next one on the list.

Integrity, honesty, friendships, gone for a bag of silver that will be gone in a year.

And a coach will sit down in a kids living room, look him and his parents in the eyes, and tell him he has no interest in taking any other jobs... then accept a new job the next day. Integrity, honesty, blah blah blah....

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GoodGood said:

And a coach will sit down in a kids living room, look him and his parents in the eyes, and tell him he has no interest in taking any other jobs... then accept a new job the next day. Integrity, honesty, blah blah blah....

... and the student-athlete still has his/her scholarship and a spot with the college and the program to which he or she committed, correct?

Speaking of commitment, how long before NLIs are declared null and void, and coaches can start prep for a season or a contest with a weekly Monday morning head count?

• Upvote 1

These kids make more than a CFL player does or NBA d league player 

they take a pay cut after graduation

i wonder how much of this money is left after graduation or is in gold around the necks of some of these players

same as the oil boom , everyone had all the toys in the world, no savings and nothing to show except bills when the bust came again 

‘tell me where I’m wrong 

11 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Do you think Hagen is getting NIL offers and goes FBS? I know he’s been solid but just wondering.

This is such a bad take

To me I feel it has to do more with Freund and Pawlek leaving. More with Pawlek since it was 2 OL that left. And maybe the new OL coach isnt the guy either. Yeah maybe they will get some money somewhere but I can't see it going over 25k. We will get more information when they sign with another team. Lets just hope Hagen doesn't go south a few miles.

11 hours ago, GoodGood said:

All the more reason they should be committing to the school and not a specific coach. 

1 hour ago, CMSioux said:

All the more reason they should be committing to the school and not a specific coach. 

More and more, people follow leaders, rather than schools, companies, brands, etc.   And it will continue to trend that way.   

2 hours ago, F'n Hawks said:

Do you think Hagen is getting NIL offers and goes FBS? I know he’s been solid but just wondering.

Would be surprised to be wrong, but 6'6" OL who has started a season plus, experience at guard and tackle with two years of eligibility left....he'll end up FBS and that almost always is coming with some extra money.

3 hours ago, Kab said:

These kids make more than a CFL player does or NBA d league player 

they take a pay cut after graduation

i wonder how much of this money is left after graduation or is in gold around the necks of some of these players

same as the oil boom , everyone had all the toys in the world, no savings and nothing to show except bills when the bust came again 

‘tell me where I’m wrong 

Well, kids that blow their NIL money will get a education in life.   Maybe it will teach them to save the money if they get a second chance at more.   Most times those lessons are better than what you learn in the classroom.

• Upvote 1

On 4/16/2024 at 8:32 PM, NDRA said:

I listened to a McFeely/Izzo podcast where, after the obligatory AC fawning, they addressed this issue. By their count, UND has had the third-lowest number of players entering the portal among MVFC teams since season's end at 10. The AC has had fewer at 6. SDSU at 4. Murray State has had 42 portal entries. Youngstown 26, Indiana State 20,  USD 15, SIU and MoState 13, and N. Iowa 12.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SooToo said:

I listened to a McFeely/Izzo podcast where, after the obligatory AC fawning, they addressed this issue. By their count, UND has had the third-lowest number of players entering the portal among MVFC teams since season's end at 10. The AC has had fewer at 6. SDSU at 4. Murray State has had 42 portal entries. Youngstown 26, Indiana State 20,  USD 15, SIU and MoState 13, and N. Iowa 12.

Some other schools are currently still in spring ball.  One can assume there will be movement when that wraps up.  

• Upvote 4

On 4/20/2024 at 4:49 AM, homer said:

Some other schools are currently still in spring ball.  One can assume there will be movement when that wraps up.  

Living a lie during spring ball.

UND gets an o-lineman via the portal, per gf herald. Curtis Gorder, 6'4" 300- pound center/guard from Iowa Central. Reportedly, offer out to 6'7" ol Stephan Stellar, portaling from Sacred Heart.

• Upvote 2

On 4/16/2024 at 6:42 AM, Nodak78 said:
Even though I’m committed to North Dakota!!!!, I still will be posting any new offers that I get!!!!

he received an offer from SIU last night.

Cut this guy loose.  He is cancer.  With draw the offer NOW.

Just rec'd an offer from Youngstown.  Cut him loose.