SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

Berry is the easy fix guy , instead of coaching the guys you recruited let’s plug our portal or fifth year guys in instead of coaching. We do you think   6-18-21-20 are thinking right now. Instead of coaching them and helping them improve just go with the portal/5th year guys. How may teams would have 19-10-27 as top six players. Berry needs to do his job and recruit and develop players not come up with easier (for him) solutions in his line up. If he loses players to the portal don’t think that won’t be a black eye for recruiting. The goalie situation is just laughable. 

• Upvote 4

I've been pondering ... Covid.

Covid paused about everything for a year, including player development specifically reinforcement of fundamental concepts.

Did Berry and staff not understand this and fail to compensate? I say that because many of the problems this season were fundamental miscues. It's was like the concepts on defense were foreign instead of reactionary habit. 

"High off the glass" should be an action as easily done as a drink from the water bottle. How many of the D could do it casually and consistently? 

Mentioning fundamentals, how many times did we see a forward make a blind pass into space? You don't do that. 

And don't get me started on the lack of speed. If you're not going fast it's either because you're slow or you have no idea what you are or should be doing. 

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I've been pondering ... Covid.

Covid paused about everything for a year, including player development specifically reinforcement of fundamental concepts.

Did Berry and staff not understand this and fail to compensate? I say that because many of the problems this season were fundamental miscues. It's was like the concepts on defense were foreign instead of reactionary habit. 

"High off the glass" should be an action as easily done as a drink from the water bottle. How many of the D could do it casually and consistently? 

Mentioning fundamentals, how many times did we see a forward make a blind pass into space? You don't do that. 

And don't get me started on the lack of speed. If you're not going fast it's either because you're slow or you have no idea what you are or should be doing. 

They recruit players then put them on a shelf and bring in mercenaries , if your staff recuits these players then develop them into the players you recruited. 

The portal is the spakle that tries to hide the damage to the drywall.

And UND didnt use good pink stuff that dries white eiter...

UND went for the cheap $1 tub of crap you buy at Walmart at 3AM blasted drunk when you're move out inspection is at 9 AM in the morning.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

And UND didnt use good pink stuff that dries white eiter...

UND went for the cheap $1 tub of crap you buy at Walmart at 3AM blasted drunk when you're move out inspection is at 9 AM in the morning.

So you’re saying we need some new Sheetrock and someone who knows how to hang it properly?

• Upvote 2

Here are my categories ...

Gone: 2 3 7 10 19 34
Stunned if back: 6 25 
Don't know what they're thinking (portal potential): 4 5 11 18 24 32 
Pray they're back: 15 28*
Wouldn't be sad if they left: 17** 
It depends: 13*** 
Back (pretty sure): other 

*If I get 14 minutes a night of the monster that was a one man PK, the other 4 can be +/- even. 
**There, I said it. If hockey skills are: Skate, Pass, Stickhandle, Shoot, Positioning, 17 is above average in two. 
***If we hang onto in-house skill I'd keep him around as a PK and bottom six; that assumes we put skill back into the top six

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

... $1 tub of crap you buy at Walmart ... 

Speaking as a former Walsh RA ... spackle? No. Toothpaste was the choice. I forget if it was Crest or Colgate that dried just the right color. And why make a trip to Wally or Menards when it's in the bathroom already. 

If you were doing final inspection check-out and the room smelled minty-fresh, you knew. 

Overall tough season (obviously). We have a couple decent players coming in next year plus we relied on our freshman group heavily.

our D core will be very young next year and I have no clue on the goalie position. I’m guessing we may have more of the same next year. Without the expectations we had going into the year, it’ll hurt less :)

2 minutes ago, jk said:

I don't understand the disaffection for 13 by some.  He's an ideal fourth liner.  Can skate and is one of the few forwards on the team who actually hits.  Because he's not big, a hit is not an automatic penalty.  I'd personally like to see him back.

28 is a difficult one for me.  He had moments as a junior where he was a force of nature.  Then I didn't see much of that this year until last night.  Give me that 28 and I'm all in. 

I struggle with those two also. 

Give the 13 that went top corner at UMD and the 28 that killed a penalty by himself and I'll take 'em. 

2 minutes ago, jk said:

I don't understand the disaffection for 13 by some.  He's an ideal fourth liner.  Can skate and is one of the few forwards on the team who actually hits.  Because he's not big, a hit is not an automatic penalty.  I'd personally like to see him back.

28 is a difficult one for me.  He had moments as a junior where he was a force of nature.  Then I didn't see much of that this year until last night.  Give me that 28 and I'm all in. 

28s a solid 2nd third line compliment. After 4 years, that what you’re getting. TBH, I’d welcome him back with open arms. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Here are my categories ...

Gone: 2 3 7 10 19 34
Stunned if back: 6 25 
Don't know what they're thinking (portal potential): 4 5 11 18 24 32 
Pray they're back: 15 28*
Wouldn't be sad if they left: 17** 
It depends: 13*** 
Back (pretty sure): other 

*If I get 14 minutes a night of that monster that was a one man PK, the other 4 can be +/- even. 
**There, I said it. If the skills are: Skating, Pass, Stickhandle, Shoot, Positioning, 17 is above average is two. 
***If we hang onto in-house skill I'd keep him around as a PK and bottom six; that assumes we put skill back into the top six

The only overage F I’d bring back is Judd. If we keep 13 Bubs will play him over a younger player. Let’s start developing our own. It’s already hurting our recruiting.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Berry is the easy fix guy , instead of coaching the guys you recruited let’s plug our portal or fifth year guys in instead of coaching. We do you think   6-18-21-20 are thinking right now. Instead of coaching them and helping them improve just go with the portal/5th year guys. How may teams would have 19-10-27 as top six players. Berry needs to do his job and recruit and develop players not come up with easier (for him) solutions in his line up. If he loses players to the portal don’t think that won’t be a black eye for recruiting. The goalie situation is just laughable. 

27 in between 17 and 9 was a serious head scratcher. Basically punted any chance of an even strength goal. Just helped 9 and 17 defensively. 

If that’s not playing not to lose I don’t know what is. The entire lineup construction was so we didn’t lose. Crushed offensive though.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Speaking as a former Walsh RA ... spackle? No. Toothpaste was the choice. I forget if it was Crest or Colgate that dried just the right color. And why make a trip to Wally or Menards when it's in the bathroom already. 

If you were doing final inspection check-out and the room smelled minty-fresh, you knew. 

Did that hole in the wall thing ever get sorted?

It is what it is.  Gotta use the portal to fix things...it's like putting too much money on a credit card, it eventually catches up to you.

32 isn't the guy.  I don't think Hedquist will be right away either, Johnson serves his role well.  

#9 needs to be the NCHC forward of the year next season.  They have to find guys that can play with his skill set, and not worry about the liability defensively that comes with it.  I think Blake is a winner like his dad, and can absolutely take over games.  Find him a line that we can give a nickname to.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Find him a line that we can give a nickname to.  

Bring in Panzer from SF and put 9 and 29 with him.

The Jackson 3. " ... A B C, It's easy as, 1 2 3, as simple as, Do re mi, A B C, 1 2 3 ... "

Or ... Blake and Panzer are legacies. Is there another? 

Yeah, yeah, Panzer is Jaksen ...