SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

22 minutes ago, Clark17 said:

nothing wrong with gong back to USHL at this point in his career - he will still be an NCAA D1 player somewhere 

Still could have been at Nodak. The portal gives guys a easy and fast out. I have no problem with him leaving but atleast wait until the season is finished. 

The reality in today's college sports is that as a have, UND should be pulling in portal guys every year. Just like we will lose football players to FBS teams and basketball players to high majors. . 

The overwhelming majority of our portal pickups have become solid contributors so staff clearly knows how to spot the right fits. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Green Banner said:

Still could have been at Nodak. The portal gives guys an easy and fast out. I have no problem with him leaving but atleast wait until the season is finished. 

I’m assuming he’s heading back to the ushl to finish the year. 

7 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

The reality in today's college sports is that as a have, UND should be pulling in portal guys every year. Just like we will lose football players to FBS teams and basketball players to high majors. . 

The overwhelming majority of our portal pickups have become solid contributors so staff clearly knows how to spot the right fits. 

I agree slightly. The idea used to be a combination of blue chips/really good true freshman and overagers. Now I’m wondering if it’s blue chips, transfers and then guys who know they won’t play and they’re fine with that. Younger skaters who are on the bubble will just go elsewhere in search of more PT

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, brianvf said:

If Croal, Swanson, and Boisvert come in next season (that'd be my guess, minimum)...and Albrecht, Gaber, Jammer, Johannes, and Ness all depart, he'd still have had a much better chance at getting a good amount of playing time as a soph.  Of course, Gaber, Jammer, and Ness could all use a 5th year if they wanted, but I'm guessing only 1-2 of them would if given the opportunity.

The guy had 64 in 60 last year, probably just wants to play. He most likely feels he’s getting slighted and he has the option of going elsewhere. Opens up a spot for us I suppose. I don’t fault the player the least bit, curious how this will impact recruiting going forward. I think this situation will happen a ton moving forward.

16 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Bummer, but the kid has to do what he has to do. He wasn't cracking the lineup and if he didn't see a way in, so be it. Sounds like UND wanted to make it clear that he wasn't cut and Emerson did it himself. 

Blows my mind that players have advisors telling kids to do things like this. I don't understand it. But again, you do you, boo. Wish you the best.

Sounds like we didn’t want him?

I wonder what his expectations were coming into this year.  It was very clear that he would be battling to get in the lineup all year.  Strinden isn't coming out, Kunz is progressing, and Albrecht is a veteran presence that brings a predictable game.  I didn't see a single flash the entire year from Emerson that told me he was getting slighted in the least.  If anything, he looked more and more like the clear cut bottom forward on the team (behind Ness and Montgomery).  Just my opinion, but I thought he would've brought much more to the table this year as an older freshman that just put up over a point/game in the USHL.

53 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I agree slightly. The idea used to be a combination of blue chips/really good true freshman and overagers. Now I’m wondering if it’s blue chips, transfers and then guys who know they won’t play and they’re fine with that. Younger skaters who are on the bubble will just go elsewhere in search of more PT

I spent most of the first half of the offseason continuously talking about how crucial it was to have a roster construction of 15F / 8D / 3G. W/ an emphasis that the 15th F / 8th D / 3rd G was designated. Those three were aware that was their roll. Outside of injuries they aren’t in. That hasn’t changed and Berry has done a good job of that. World is changing, I would include an extra F in that roll, I’d be ok w/ 2 more. 

I’m happy that he left mid-season. Better for him, better for the program. Year two of this Berry, hopefully this learning lesson finally sticks. Roster construction. Need guys that ok w/ not playing outside of injuries.

Not the place probably, but no more 5th years. You played your 4 years, thank you, but let’s move on. It is frustrating that they lost a guy w/ a lot of talent, to play Albrecht. Recruit talent, play talent, develop talent. 

1 hour ago, AJS said:

I spent most of the first half of the offseason continuously talking about how crucial it was to have a roster construction of 15F / 8D / 3G. W/ an emphasis that the 15th F / 8th D / 3rd G was designated. Those three were aware that was their roll. Outside of injuries they aren’t in. That hasn’t changed and Berry has done a good job of that. World is changing, I would include an extra F in that roll, I’d be ok w/ 2 more. 

I’m happy that he left mid-season. Better for him, better for the program. Year two of this Berry, hopefully this learning lesson finally sticks. Roster construction. Need guys that ok w/ not playing outside of injuries.

Not the place probably, but no more 5th years. You played your 4 years, thank you, but let’s move on. It is frustrating that they lost a guy w/ a lot of talent, to play Albrecht. Recruit talent, play talent, develop talent. 

Aren't we almost out of the woods on this? If my math is correct, guys that were in their 1st year of eligibility during the COVID season would be on their 5th year next season.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, as15 said:

I wonder what his expectations were coming into this year.  It was very clear that he would be battling to get in the lineup all year.  Strinden isn't coming out, Kunz is progressing, and Albrecht is a veteran presence that brings a predictable game.  I didn't see a single flash the entire year from Emerson that told me he was getting slighted in the least.  If anything, he looked more and more like the clear cut bottom forward on the team (behind Ness and Montgomery).  Just my opinion, but I thought he would've brought much more to the table this year as an older freshman that just put up over a point/game in the USHL.

In his defense, he was buried on the 4th line when he did play and didn’t touch the PP. Now, I’m not saying he should have a different role (based on practice results), just stating the obvious. Tough to do much on a bottom line.

Tough deal all around because he’ll, most likely, be a solid college player at point.

27 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Aren't we almost out of the woods on this? If my math is correct, guys that were in their 1st year of eligibility during the COVID season would be on their 5th year next season.

One more season of the option for the 5th year. 

35 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

You're right on. One more year to hope Berry learns. The question he needs to ask is can this players skill set be replaced by someone already on the roster or with an incoming Freshman. Persson is the only player who should be considered after this year. It really is crazy that Berry did not see this coming. It's so embarrassingly short-sided. It wasn't any different with Hain and Senden, but you had way too many people throwing a parade when that was announced. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, AJS said:

You're right on. One more year to hope Berry learns. The question he needs to ask is can this players skill set be replaced by someone already on the roster or with an incoming Freshman. Persson is the only player who should be considered after this year. 

It’s not like Emerson was told to wait a year to make room for Albrecht though (like the Spicer situation last year). There was room for both of them and they both played limited minutes in limited games. If Albrecht showed “it” more in practice and game situations, then I understand playing him. You still have to earn your playing time regardless of if you’re a frosh or a 5th year. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, AJS said:

You're right on. One more year to hope Berry learns. The question he needs to ask is can this players skill set be replaced by someone already on the roster or with an incoming Freshman. Persson is the only player who should be considered after this year. It really is crazy that Berry did not see this coming. It's so embarrassingly short-sided. It wasn't any different with Hain and Senden, but you had way too many people throwing a parade when that was announced. 

Senden won both a HS championship and USHL championship as a captain, so there was hope of history repeating itself. Hain was a head scratcher.

8 minutes ago, brianvf said:

It’s not like Emerson was told to wait a year to make room for Albrecht though (like the Spicer situation last year). There was room for both of them and they both played limited minutes in limited games. If Albrecht showed “it” more in practice and game situations, then I understand playing him. You still have to earn your playing time regardless of if you’re a frosh or a 5th year. 

Not shocking that a 26-year-old 5th might look the part over a 19-year-old Freshman. Tough to develop if you rarely get minutes. It's simple for me, it's completely unnecessary to bring back someone for a 5th year to play a 4th line roll, killing one player's development. Looking ahead. You don't need Albrecht for a 6th year or Jamernik for a 5th year, playing a roll that Boisvert or Croal could easily step into. Develop talent. I do want to clarify, I don't dislike or think Albrecht is a bad 4th liner, he's not. It's just a younger player can play that roll and succeed and develop. 

It's over. In the middle of a great year, so moving on. Another learning experience for this coaching staff.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, AJS said:

Not shocking that a 26-year-old 5th might look the part over a 19-year-old Freshman. Tough to develop if you rarely get minutes. It's simple for me, it's completely unnecessary to bring back someone for a 5th year to play a 4th line roll, killing one player's development. Looking ahead. You don't need Albrecht for a 6th year or Jamernik for a 5th year, playing a roll that Boisvert or Croal could easily step into. Develop talent. I do want to clarify, I don't dislike or think Albrecht is a bad 4th liner, he's not. It's just a younger player can play that roll and succeed and develop. 

It's over. In the middle of a great year, so moving on. Another learning experience for this coaching staff.

Albrecht isn’t just filling a hole in the 4th line. One of our best penalty killers. He has fairly good stick handling too. Emerson really struggled in his limited game time. He didn’t want to wait. Is what it is.

• Upvote 4

I'm very confused by this conversation. Emerson left. We didn't cut him. We didn't bring someone back in lieu of him. I can understand that we maybe could have developed him in his 3rd or 4th year, but again, he left. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Albrecht isn’t just filling a hole in the 4th line. One of our best penalty killers. He has fairly good stick handling too. Emerson really struggled in his limited game time. He didn’t want to wait. Is what it is.

He’s really never played. I mean, I guess I’m not overly disappointed he left. But I’m not oblivious to fact his only minutes were 4 line minutes. 

6 hours ago, AJS said:

Absolutely agree.