SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

2 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I believe he’s still adjusting to the college game. He could very well come on strong to end this year and watch out for him next season.

I agree.  Perron will be big for us.  I think maybe he is going through the process of being coached how to keep his shifty offensive game from being a defensive liability.  Learning that one giveaway at the wrong time can cost a game.  HIs skill, quickness, and lightening trigger will be a big deal, IMO.  

• Upvote 4

I think it's great that this team has learned how to play a tight defensive game without taking many penalties.  It seems to come from not getting into situations where they are chasing around their D zone.   

I also like that they generally avoid the cross checking/face washing displays around the net after the whistle has blown.   That behavior has always struck me (in the last 15 years) as being more or less a meaningless display anyway, since they are not going to fight and everybody has full face protection.    Despite not showing those behaviors, they are still doing a good job of keeping bodies out of Ludvig's line of sight--moreso in the last several weekends.  

One down side of not committing very many penalties is that the PK is not getting as much real-game practice.   You just have to hope they get game-like workouts in practice.   And continue to improve of faceoffs to minimize PK time in the zone.    A bunch of the teams they may face in the tourney will have skills similar to DU.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I believe he’s still adjusting to the college game. He could very well come on strong to end this year and watch out for him next season.

Hasn't been as noticeable lately but he has hit iron 8 or 9 times this year that I recall.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

He's got a great shot. Was hoping Boo Berry would give him more power play time, in hopes that would help his confidence and morale. Only speculation, of course.

13 minutes ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

I was hard on Blake’s defensive play but he has really started turning a corner the last 2 weekends. The coaches are doing some great work with him and more importantly, he seems to be listening. 

He had a couple bad turnovers this weekend that could have resulted in goals. It’s part of his game. He will learn that the best goal scorers let the play develop, instead of trying to do everything himself. That’s why the golden cake eaters never win a title. They all think they’re superstars. 

18 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

He had a couple bad turnovers this weekend that could have resulted in goals. It’s part of his game. He will learn that the best goal scorers let the play develop, instead of trying to do everything himself. That’s why the golden cake eaters never win a title. They all think they’re superstars. 

I've been saying that as well. If he let's the game come to him, his talent will shine.

10 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I think we can blame me. I told Virg Foss in the press box a few weeks ago that Perron was going to break out soon. I guess we're still waiting. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Goon said:

I think we can blame me. I told Virg Foss in the press box a few weeks ago that Perron was going to break out soon. I guess we're still waiting. 

His presence on top line was very evident this series even though he didn't break out. Just DU knowing his skill capabilities opened up ice for Gaber and specifically Berg. 

18 minutes ago, Goon said:

Virg has seen his share of highly skilled Sioux hockey players

A big time lesson that our team can take is just not taking the risk on big hits.  Behrens isn't a dirty player at all.  Plays heavy minutes for a very good team.  Stepped up to make a hit, elbow wasn't high, but just caught Strinden in the chops with his shoulder.

That hit cost Denver the game.  Years back Trevor Olson got lucky in Tampa that he didn't get a five against Denver.

You do that in the NCAA tournament and you could see your season end because of it.  I love good physical hockey as much as the next guy, but just like if a guy turns late and it turns into a CFB, a guy puts his head down cutting across the middle can turn into a head contact in a split second.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

His presence on top line was very evident this series even though he didn't break out. Just DU knowing his skill capabilities opened up ice for Gaber and specifically Berg. 

I think when he does break out, it's going to be significant. He's a skilled player. 

16 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

14 hours ago, burd said:

I agree.  Perron will be big for us.  I think maybe he is going through the process of being coached how to keep his shifty offensive game from being a defensive liability.  Learning that one giveaway at the wrong time can cost a game.  HIs skill, quickness, and lightening trigger will be a big deal, IMO.  

5 hours ago, Goon said:

I think when he does break out, it's going to be significant. He's a skilled player. 

My $.02 on Perron.   And my flashback goes further back in Sioux history than Bochenski.  I'm getting Dave Christian vibes.  Both came in as 18 yo freshman, as smaller players, into a lineup filled with excellent players.  Both skate very well, have great hands, can pass, and can score. Flashes of brilliance as freshmen interspersed with stretches where the play went somewhere else. 

Christian finished 9th on the UND team in scoring.  Which is where Perron is now. 

I predict (like a lot of other people) a long and distinguished career for Perron.  Keep the faith bro.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Denver put a body on Perron every chance. Another year of strength for Perron and that won't work. 

Remember: McLaughlin used to look light and weak out there. That changed. Perron will too. 

The Man speaks the truth.  

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Denver put a body on Perron every chance. Another year of strength for Perron and that won't work. 

Remember: McLaughlin used to look light and weak out there. That changed. Perron will too. 

There are ways to take advantage of what he brings now. Put him out in positions to use his great shot.

Following the sweep this weekend, UND has now gone 19 straight games without a regulation loss -- the third-longest streak in program history.

21 games - 2006-07
20 games - 2007-08
19 games - 2023-24

Could tie that record this weekend.