SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

9 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

Good points. And I could see a team with a very small arena hosting a regional. That would re-ignite the debate.

So set a facility minimum and teams have to declare what they'll use should they host. 

Say it's 5000 seats. UND declares REA; DU declares Mags; all the Connecticut schools (Sacred Heart, Q, UConn, Yale) plus Army and Brown and Providence pick and reserve a venue together. Yes, lots of risk for the arena reserving a weekend that could be nothing.

Use of home sites for the rounds of 16 and 8 solves the "small arena" issue and the last Four get Frozen. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/16/2024 at 2:56 PM, stoneySIOUX said:

It's kind of weird, but we've lost one time in 2024 and it was in OT. Remove that three-game OT loss streak, UND is 15-2-1 with wins over Minnesota, DU, BU and Wisconsin.

I understand the four OT losses don't feel great, but I feel like we're almost ignoring what they've already done based on that three-game streak, and four OT losses. 

Just feels so weird.

I actually don't mind losing. But losing games where we have 2-goal leads is frustrating, especially in our own barn. The Friday game against Omaha we lost 3 separate leads and one of them was a 2-goal lead. On home ice. Also having a 2-goal lead go down our legs against CC at home is a tough way to lead to a loss. I thought Saturday against Omaha we did an excellent job of locking things down defensively (with the exception of maybe 1 of the forwards ;)). We were able to lock it down with Zmolek out of the lineup, which made it even more impressive. So if we can consistently play that well defensively with a lead, then we can do some good things. But if we show flashes of last year where we lose leads repeatedly, then the hopes for this team go down drastically. 

On 1/17/2024 at 8:40 AM, The Sicatoka said:

So set a facility minimum and teams have to declare what they'll use should they host. 

Say it's 5000 seats. UND declares REA; DU declares Mags; all the Connecticut schools (Sacred Heart, Q, UConn, Yale) plus Army and Brown and Providence pick and reserve a venue together. Yes, lots of risk for the arena reserving a weekend that could be nothing.

Use of home sites for the rounds of 16 and 8 solves the "small arena" issue and the last Four get Frozen. 

If memory serves correctly, believe venue size has been discussed in the past as I believe 5000 seats was an NCAA deal but with added programs now, the disparity in venue sizes available is large, thus not amenable to large fan bases spending big bucks!

So for a program like CC whose arena only holds between 3,000-3,500, using the 5,000 minimum as the standard, what do they do? How do they feasibly lock in a commitment for the neighboring Broadmoor World Arena (seats roughly 7,800)? World Arena is constantly being used for other events throughout the year. How do you lock the venue down for something that may not even come to fruition if CC doesn’t finish top 8?

Edit: Just thought of something else here, World Arena is Olympic size, would they/could they even be used as an NCAA hockey tournament site given their ice sheet dimensions? What about other schools whose home ice isn’t the standard 200x85 as well, like Minnesota, Wisconsin, and St. Cloud, to name a few?

6 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

So for a program like CC whose arena only holds between 3,000-3,500, using the 5,000 minimum as the standard, what do they do? How do they feasibly lock in a commitment for the neighboring Broadmoor World Arena (seats roughly 7,800)? World Arena is constantly being used for other events throughout the year. How do you lock the venue down for something that may not even come to fruition if CC doesn’t finish top 8?

They also don't want Olympic ice sheets, so that would keep the Broadmoor from being used.

55 minutes ago, thUNDer said:

If memory serves correctly, believe venue size has been discussed in the past as I believe 5000 seats was an NCAA deal but with added programs now, the disparity in venue sizes available is large, thus not amenable to large fan bases spending big bucks!

Odd that Lindenwood's arena is hosting a regional where the main rink holds 2,500 and the outdoor rink holds 4,000. so not sure how they let them host. 

4 hours ago, brianvf said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/jayden-perron-gets-new-assignments-in-series-finale-at-st-cloud-state?fbclid=IwAR05GfBjKSCyelPAF0Vx9VOSrPhulRgrN65UCbFmeXcwLLCsE4YBxoTtKvE

Perron got two assists in the 3rd period once he was put on that line w/ Berg & Gaber.

Even if Johannes is cleared to play for this weekend, I'd like to see them keep that line intact against DU.  They obviously had some good chances and put up some points.
You could use these lines or similar:

Perron/Berg/Gaber
James/OMac/Blake
Jammer/Strinden/Johannes
Kunz/Schmaltz/Ness-Albrecht

Seriously a johannes-Jammer-Strinden line would be outstanding. You have size, speed, and skill. Jammer is a decent faceoff guy and all 3 of those guys know how to go hard to the net. But they also are reliable away from the puck. What you have above for forward combos is about as picture perfect as this team could be now that Perron is up to speed on how to play in the NCHC.

Schmaltz on the 4th line where he can be defensively reliable is a great spot for him too, there’s no need to try to force offense out of him. Plus with that bottom line you have, you know you could always rely on 4 of them (depending on who is the extra skater) to be smart and shut things down.

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

Seriously a johannes-Jammer-Strinden line would be outstanding. You have size, speed, and skill. Jammer is a decent faceoff guy and all 3 of those guys know how to go hard to the net. But they also are reliable away from the puck. What you have above for forward combos is about as picture perfect as this team could be now that Perron is up to speed on how to play in the NCHC.

Schmaltz on the 4th line where he can be defensively reliable is a great spot for him too, there’s no need to try to force offense out of him. Plus with that bottom line you have, you know you could always rely on 4 of them (depending on who is the extra skater) to be smart and shut things down.

Exactly what I was thinking as well.

As others have mentioned already, it seems Berry doesn't want to put Schmaltz on the 4th line, but I don't view it as a "demotion" for him, just pairing him with players that complement his playing style better.

Those first two lines would have as much skill or more than any other team they would face.  Would be quite the battle against DU's top 2 lines with all their talent.
And that 3rd line is pure energy.  All three of those guys skate with purpose and are heavy on the puck.  You could match them up against any line from the opposing team and I bet they'd do a good job at shutting them down and putting up some decent points at the same time.

C'mon Berry!  Make it so!

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, TwamleyShuffle said:

I thought I read it was a lower-body injury but I could be wrong

Schloss tweeted out before the game that Johannes had a lower-body injury. 

6 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

How "snuggly" is PWR right now?

I changed the Wisconsin/UND game to a UW win and Bucky goes up to #2 (from 4) and UND goes to #7 (from 3).  

I could sense how big that game was when UND won.  Remember thinking, we're going to be very happy we held on to this win come the end of the year.

On 1/17/2024 at 8:40 AM, The Sicatoka said:

Sounds just like  NE regional. 

8 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

How "snuggly" is PWR right now?

I changed the Wisconsin/UND game to a UW win and Bucky goes up to #2 (from 4) and UND goes to #7 (from 3).  

and you win one of the games against cc or dont tie with mankato...and we are 2

2 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I could sense how big that game was when UND won.  Remember thinking, we're going to be very happy we held on to this win come the end of the year.

Yes for sure.
UW passed the eye test that game, so you knew they were going to win a few games this season and be a big PWR bonus if UND held on for the win.
That game could have easily gone the other way too with how many posts UW hit.  :0

• Upvote 2

Face off numbers for the year. I just used those that I remember being listed as a Center on the line charts.

• 14 - 58.45%
  • 27 - 56.25%
  • 22 - 47.62%
  • 8 - 45.22%
  • 21 - 45.16%
  • 11 - 35.06%

Highlighting 8's numbers. I'm looking for any reason why he continues to stay as 3C. FO % would not be it. I'll keep looking. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AJS said:

Face off numbers for the year. I just used those that I remember being listed as a Center on the line charts.

• 14 - 58.45%
  • 27 - 56.25%
  • 22 - 47.62%
  • 8 - 45.22%
  • 21 - 45.16%
  • 11 - 35.06%

Highlighting 8's numbers. I'm looking for any reason why he continues to stay as 3C. FO % would not be it. I'll keep looking. 

Feels like we're all in consensus on this one, @AJS. May need to call Bubs haha ;)

• Upvote 1

On 1/17/2024 at 10:04 AM, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

This ^ who cares how small the arena is if it's packed and the students get to watch their team try to make the Frozen Four?  Oh and the added bonus of the exposure via national television for that school that EARNED that ranking.

ask onyone that has watched a hockey game at und- beatineau if arena size matters.....shirtless wonders with chainsaws hanging over the glass