SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

3 hours ago, Kevin G said:

Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but wasn’t there a Gopher team in the past decade that was ranked #1 at about this point of the season, then ended up missing the national tournament? 

If I’m wrong don’t tell me. It’s a pleasant memory. 

You have some fond memories of Kate Upton too, eh?

39 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Somehow still 2nd in the NCHC after that disaster of a weekend.

4 pts behind 1st place SCSU and 4 pts ahead of WMU. 
All teams have played 8 games.

5th in the PWR.

Where was UND last year at this time? Heck, a lot worse off. 

• Upvote 1

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-ends-first-half-with-questions-to-answer-about-overtime-play

“I think it's one of those situations," UND coach Brad Berry said, "where you're trying to squeeze offense on 3-on-3, but you have to be responsible a little bit knowing that if you've got a couple guys driving, you need one guy to probably fold in over top, so you don't give up a breakaway or an odd number rush like that."

For UND, the skid ended a stretch of 12-straight unbeaten overtime games. The streak dated back to Oct. 22, 2022, when Mark Senden scored the overtime winner at Minnesota.

“We won a couple early on," Berry said. "We made some plays. Now, it's kind of went the other way on us. We have to look at it that we want to win the game, go in attack mode, but you have to make sure you do it smartly and have a situation where you live another day if you don't get your opportunity."

Persson played every minute so far for UND:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/ludvig-persson-plays-from-start-to-finish-in-first-half-how-common-is-that

With a college schedule — two games each weekend — it is possible for a goaltender to handle that workload.

Last season, Yaniv Perets started all 41 games for NCAA national champion Quinnipiac (though a backup entered in eight of them). Hunter Shepard did the same for Minnesota Duluth's 2019 NCAA national championship team.

The last time a UND goalie played every minute for an entire season was 1956-57, when Tom Yurkovich did it. UND only played 29 games that season.

NCAA minute leaders

1. Justen Close, Minnesota, 1097:58
2. Ludvig Persson, UND, 1087:38
3. Ryan Bischel, Notre Dame, 1044:56
4. Jacob Fowler, BC, 1028:24
5. Guy Blessing, Air Force, 1019:11
6. Chad Veltri, Robert Morris, 1002:48
7. Trey Augustine, Mich. St., 990:08
8. Ethan Langenegger, Lake Superior St., 970:33
9. Cameron Rowe, WMU 959:52
10, Mathieu Caron, BU, 959:08

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Unpopular opinion I’m sure…but if I’m Gaber I think I’m coming back for a 5th year. Unless they win the natty this year.

I like Reese, but his college playing days should expire at the end of this season. I believe we had kept a couple on the roster for a 5th year and it didn't work out.

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Unpopular opinion I’m sure…but if I’m Gaber I think I’m coming back for a 5th year. Unless they win the natty this year.

He mentioned on the ECH podcast (I think it was that one) that he's going to be done after this year. I think you're right that he could use another year here but it seems like he's going to go find a pro paycheck somewhere. He's built for Europe so I'm guessing he makes it there eventually. 

In general the 5th year just seems like it's a little much, especially when some of these guys went to juniors for multiple years before coming to campus.  It's such a weird thing when it comes to senior night and the finality of your college career being over(buy maybe not). Like many others, I'm looking forward to it expiring so you know how long a guy will be here. All of this to say, I love Riese and what he brings to this program and I'm sure come May I'll hope he's coming back to complement our top 2 lines.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

He mentioned on the ECH podcast (I think it was that one) that he's going to be done after this year. I think you're right that he could use another year here but it seems like he's going to go find a pro paycheck somewhere. He's built for Europe so I'm guessing he makes it there eventually. 

Right, it’s almost certainly not going to happen. He’s been fairly productive over 4 years (currently a click lower than I expected). But I have multiple buddies who played overseas and they all said their funnest hockey was college. Especially when bouncing overseas. I guess my point was that he would be able to potentially spin a masters degree out the deal with scholarship $. Decent to fall back on once the euro tour is over. 

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

On TH’s radio show this evening, Berry did confirm an illness going through the team. TH brought it up so not like he’s making an excuse but explains CC having more jump most of the weekend  

That explains the lack of energy. Get them healthy and healed up and they will get back to winning.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Right, it’s almost certainly not going to happen. He’s been fairly productive over 4 years (currently a click lower than I expected). But I have multiple buddies who played overseas and they all said their funnest hockey was college. Especially when bouncing overseas. I guess my point was that he would be able to potentially spin a masters degree out the deal with scholarship $. Decent to fall back on once the euro tour is over. 

Also the expectation would probably be that he would be a go to guy, and maybe take away opportunities for growth for guys like Perron, Boisvert, McLaughlin, etc.

• Upvote 1