SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

< wet blanket alert >

What I saw this weekend was slower play by the Dmen than we saw v. Army, UW, UMn. 

Too much "skateblade to stick"; too slow in moving the puck; I bet it was double the time to get from D in the corner to out of zone compared to Army weekend. That won't work against The Beaver; they're immediately on you. 

Need to get back to the crisp, quick actions we had against Army and the Red Menace of the West. 

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

< wet blanket alert >

What I saw this weekend was slower play by the Dmen than we saw v. Army, UW, UMn. 

Too much "skateblade to stick"; too slow in moving the puck; I bet it was double the time to get from D in the corner to out of zone compared to Army weekend. That won't work against The Beaver; they're immediately on you. 

Need to get back to the crisp, quick actions we had against Army and the Red Menace of the West. 

Yep, now will go dry off & keep the faith they will rinse then repeat with extra starch & faster spin cycle

12 minutes ago, Green Banner said:

I feel like comments on here are worse now than when the team is underachieving/"down years".

I mean, I wouldn't go THAT far haha. I said it earlier and I'll say it again, being No. 1 in the country at any point in the season in any season is nothing but a positive for the program.

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

< wet blanket alert >

I saw it intentionally. Miami isn't a heavy forechecking team, so they worked to get the puck out in transition through the middle a lot and were a bit more deliberate. That caused us to make a few stupid passes, but it worked out fine for most of the weekend, IMO.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Thanks, I guess I always wait for the NCAA.com list to come out which IS the same poll, but yeah.

I am excited. Yes, the ranking doesn't mean much, but paired with #4 in PWR - things are so far looking good. And, its fun to be "ranked #1", been awhile! I love it. Room for improvement, sure.. but we have performed well against some tough teams so far. Denver will be telling. I am very happy with our goalie this year too, we look like a good contender this year. I also think Dillon Simpson was a great hire! His little video during the game on Saturday was real cool, and I think he is bringing a passion to the team with all the new players, and helping set the culture for what North Dakota Hockey is known for. Let's keep it rollin'! Avoid a loss with Bemidji, and go show Denver what's up!

Go Sioux!

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, FightingSU said:

Thanks, I guess I always wait for the NCAA.com list to come out which IS the same poll, but yeah.

I am excited. Yes, the ranking doesn't mean much, but paired with #4 in PWR - things are so far looking good. And, its fun to be "ranked #1", been awhile! I love it. Room for improvement, sure.. but we have performed well against some tough teams so far. Denver will be telling. I am very happy with our goalie this year too, we look like a good contender this year. I also think Dillon Simpson was a great hire! His little video during the game on Saturday was real cool, and I think he is bringing a passion to the team with all the new players, and helping set the culture for what North Dakota Hockey is known for. Let's keep it rollin'! Avoid a loss with Bemidji, and go show Denver what's up!

Go Sioux!

To be fair, Denver is giving up a lot of goals, so they have something to prove vs. us as well. And we have already performed well vs. good teams, so I am not worried about the trip to the Mile High City. Just get at least 3 points and get out of there.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I saw it intentionally. Miami isn't a heavy forechecking team, so they worked to get the puck out in transition through the middle a lot and were a bit more deliberate. That caused us to make a few stupid passes, but it worked out fine for most of the weekend, IMO.

Call me crazy but I'll take the quick zone exits we saw v UW. 

17 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Only polls that matter is pwr

Can still think its fun to be considered and VOTED number one. I hate when people say this. Im not saying you're technically wrong, but we can appreciate the ranking and have some fun about it.

3 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Great call. They've been as good, if not better, than every team they've played this season. 

the only game i felt they were not the better team was fri vs the goofs...looked shell shocked in the second and third period