SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

23 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The Manitoba Bisons play the Moose (exh) Thursday night, then UND (exh) Saturday night, then the Moose again Monday afternoon. 
Not sure if this is better or worse than catching them after a Friday in Bemidji. 

https://gobisons.ca/sports/mens-ice-hockey/schedule/2023-24 

Thanks to Sic, TIL that "bisons" is the historically correct plural for "bison."

We have some small/slight dudes (Gaber, Blake, OMac, Perron, James). 

Let's hope the not-so small/slight dudes (Johannes, Kunz, Komzak, Pehrson) understand the "unwritten" part of their responsibilities. I call it the "paint rule": My guy is covered in green paint; I see any of that on you I'm taking all the paint off you. 

45 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Let's hope the not-so small/slight dudes (Johannes, Kunz, Komzak, Pehrson) understand the "unwritten" part of their responsibilities. I call it the "paint rule": My guy is covered in green paint; I see any of that on you I'm taking all the paint off you. 

IMO, being an especially physical presence has not been part of Kunz's game. He's got the size for such a role, and I'd love to see him become a true power forward, but I don't know if that's his game. 

On 10/5/2023 at 1:28 PM, The Sicatoka said:

We need to recruit Paul Newman.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/an-entertaining-trio-is-set-to-lead-und-this-hockey-season

So, when Riese Gaber passed on NHL offers in the spring to come back for a fourth season, he immediately entered rare company and gave UND one of the most accomplished players in the country.

Entering the season, no player in the country has scored more collegiate goals than Gaber’s 46. Only one player has more career points than his 95.

“I think he wants to get to another level,” UND coach Brad Berry said. “I know he can. You can see his motivation and the fire in his eyes. I firmly believe that he’s going to be a dominant player, which is something he wants to prove before he leaves here.”

Perron has been making big impressions on his UND teammates during fall practices.

“That kid is going to be something special,” Berg said. “He’s one of the best kids I’ve ever played with – as a person and as a player. Sometimes, he makes you go, ‘Wow, did he really do that?’ He’s going to be fun to watch this year.”

“The fans are going to love him,” Gaber said, “absolutely love him. There’s stuff every day I see where I’m like, ‘I need to learn that.’ He’s so fun to watch. His scoring is elite. His shot is elite. He’s strong on his edges and he’s just so fun to watch. I’m really excited for the fans to get to experience him.”

On 10/6/2023 at 11:19 AM, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Pretty cool that we'll have a battle of the Dakotas in hockey

Augie should be more than an exhibition. Would be ok with alternating them and Bemidji. At least Augie you can try to schedule around a USD or SDSU football game for a nice weekend trip. 

Playing an Augie exhibition in Rapid City would be a nice brand building opportunity.  Mini destination game and in Midco footprint 

41 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

Augie should be more than an exhibition. Would be ok with alternating them and Bemidji. At least Augie you can try to schedule around a USD or SDSU football game for a nice weekend trip. 

Playing an Augie exhibition in Rapid City would be a nice brand building opportunity.  Mini destination game and in Midco footprint 

You have to start somewhere but I agree. I also think Berry will try to get them on the schedule in the future.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/dillon-simpsons-first-assignment-as-a-coach-is-to-take-on-an-unprecedented-assignment

In Year 1, Simpson is facing a challenge that’s unique in college hockey history.

UND has zero returning defensemen.

According to research by UND’s sports information department, there has never been another college hockey team to bring back zero defensemen from a previous season.

“They all have good heads about them — where their games are at, what they need to do better, what their strengths are,” Simpson said. “That makes things easier when you’re having an honest conversation with them. All of them are eager to work hard and get better. I’ve seen nothing but their confidence grow since I got here. Each week, they’re more comfortable. They’re getting more up to speed. They’re pushing the pace in practice, which is nice to see.”