SiouxSports.com Forum

Here comes the Clowns for round 2.

Wilbur

2 hours ago, dustnyou said:

So on the contrary you want the fifth year guys who have gave their blood sweat and tears to this program for half a decade to sit in the stands and watch the potential last game of their college and perhaps hockey career? Yeah that’ll help recruiting and “culture “. These guys paid their dues and deserve to play every possible minute before it’s over. 

I should clarify that I’m referring to 5th year Sioux, not portal transfers. I would like to see #6 in the rest of the way. 

So you are referring to Hain and Senden. Hain took a stupid penalty 16 seconds into the Friday game, grabbing a guy by the head and throwing him on the ice. Then he follows that up with a dangerous slewfooting penalty for five and game. That is not the type of play that results in deserving to play. At least Senden scored. Neither should necessarily sit for the rest of the season but if the team is to be better next season the younger guys need to play. This season is toast.

So on the contrary you want the fifth year guys who have gave their blood sweat and tears to this program for half a decade to sit in the stands and watch the potential last game of their college and perhaps hockey career? Yeah that’ll help recruiting and “culture “. These guys paid their dues and deserve to play every possible minute before it’s over. 

So this is high school athletics now? Thanks for clearing that up. :silly:

38 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

So you are referring to Hain and Senden. Hain took a stupid penalty 16 seconds into the Friday game, grabbing a guy by the head and throwing him on the ice. Then he follows that up with a dangerous slewfooting penalty for five and game. That is not the type of play that results in deserving to play. At least Senden scored. Neither should necessarily sit for the rest of the season but if the team is to be better next season the younger guys need to play. This season is toast.

You’re right. I don’t disagree with mentioned players getting a night or weekend off. I disagreed with a previous comment that they should be in a suit the rest of the season. 

29 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So this is high school athletics now? Thanks for clearing that up. :silly:

No it’s not. I can totally see how that sounded though lol. I guess what I’m trying to say is our fifth year guys aren’t playing because they’re fifth year guys. They play because they are easily in the top 12 forward group on this team. So why wouldn’t they play? You’d just scratch two of the best players on the team? The two guys mentioned are not “healthy scratch” players so to do that to them now would be absurd to me at this point. Again, referring to the “rest of the season” comment. In my mind, no player is too good to not be punished or scratched for a game. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, dustnyou said:

No it’s not. I can totally see how that sounded though lol. I guess what I’m trying to say is our fifth year guys aren’t playing because they’re fifth year guys. They play because they are easily in the top 12 forward group on this team. So why wouldn’t they play? You’d just scratch two of the best players on the team? The two guys mentioned are not “healthy scratch” players so to do that to them now would be absurd to me at this point. Again, referring to the “rest of the season” comment. In my mind, no player is too good to not be punished or scratched for a game. 

Fair enough, I see your point.

13 hours ago, Siouxfancrazy92 said:

Couldn’t agree with u more about the 5th yr Sioux guys. Also, if you read and listen to what Schlossman says #6 won’t play another game for UND. 

That’s too bad. I’m assuming he’s transferring and wants to save a year of eligibility via under x amount of games played? He really payed with confidence to start the season. That first series he was skating with the puck like Jake Sanderson. Weird situation there. This is why I’m not a fan of the portal. It’s ok for most players to develop throughout college. Rarely do players like Blake or Boeser just step in and rip it up. 

On 2/12/2023 at 3:07 PM, dustnyou said:

I'll slightly disagree with you here. If you were to rank, I would agree they'd fall into the Top 12 overall. I guess if they are two of the best players, then I can clearly see why this team is under .500. The issue I've had is there have been games where I would argue they've been some of the worst forwards. I do think they should be scratched if their play dictates that. I'm not the only one who feels this way. It's not just those two. One of the many things that Berry does that is frustrating is certain players have a lock on a roster spot, regardless of how they play. Senden and Hain are two of those. Others do not have that luxury. 

Looking back on the games from earlier this season at the Herb, I am just trying to remember what the heck happened. I remember thinking that Clown wasn't that much better than us after the weekend. Combing through the stats and trying to remember, but I remember a slew of breakdowns and against an opportunistic and VERY quick-twitch and explosive team, that can't happen. Lead after 1 on Friday. Imploded in the 2nd. Saturday, goodness, I can't believe I forgot this, but we were up 3-0 two minutes into the second and then gave up six straight including a ENG. Absolutely gross. Shots basically even all weekend. Seems like a solid summation of the whole season, unfortunately. 

Clown not tearing it up over the past four after getting swept by Duluth in Duluth at the end of Jan and winning two shootouts against Miami in St. Cloud. Build momentum. Get points. Split is good, but honestly, we need a sweep to try and battle into that 5 spot. 

Looks like lather, rinse, repeat for the whole season -- eliminate turnovers, get good goaltending (.900 sv percentage at minimum), continue to capitalize on the PP, and do better 5-on-5.

• Upvote 1

On 2/13/2023 at 8:11 AM, dustnyou said:

That’s too bad. I’m assuming he’s transferring and wants to save a year of eligibility via under x amount of games played? He really payed with confidence to start the season. That first series he was skating with the puck like Jake Sanderson. Weird situation there. This is why I’m not a fan of the portal. It’s ok for most players to develop throughout college. Rarely do players like Blake or Boeser just step in and rip it up. 

I have seen no one skating with the puck like Jake Sanderson this season.  That goes for UND and all of their opponents.