SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Pios - Chip and a chair

stoneySIOUX

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/gavin-hain-set-to-return-for-und-against-denver?fbclid=IwAR3Luu6eHAo5hiHwYx_YFsDyxefWbLWo2FeWKdEJFeT_YmXFKWrIXq6SqbI

Hain ready to play, but Schmaltz will still be out along with Montgomery.

There will be no suspensions coming from the Denver-Colorado College melee Saturday night near the end of their rivalry game.

As expected.  The league wouldn't want DU to be shorthanded.  Now, if Kleven would have been involved in that melee, he would have been retroactively given a game or two suspension.

23 minutes ago, brianvf said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/gavin-hain-set-to-return-for-und-against-denver?fbclid=IwAR3Luu6eHAo5hiHwYx_YFsDyxefWbLWo2FeWKdEJFeT_YmXFKWrIXq6SqbI

As expected.  The league wouldn't want DU to be shorthanded.  Now, if Kleven would have been involved in that melee, he would have been retroactively given a game or two suspension.

I did point out earlier the look that DU less calls against them than UND, but is this like a real thing? Do we think that the NCHC favors DU in general? Not sure why that would be the case haha. 

I have no idea why the refs seem to ALWAYS call big time penalties against us against DU, but I am not sure where a potential conspiracy would lie lol

On 2/7/2023 at 10:36 AM, siouxforce19 said:

I thought that 2017 game our only PP was with a minute left but I must be remembering a different game. That 2017 game also had a lame goaltender interference call take a goal away. Collin Adams tapped the goalie pad with his stick on a pass across the crease which was goalie interference apparently. 

Just looked at this play again. From my blog back then:

https://daddydumpandchase.blogspot.com/2017/11/roses-and-thorns-well-that-was.html

2:42 into the clip: 

This one is from the goonie! @Goon

Oofa. SO BAD!

• Upvote 1

On 2/6/2023 at 7:52 PM, siouxweet said:

I don't remember the year, but I recall a game where UND played virtually the entire second period on the PK and DU had like 10 or 11 PPs for the game.

Wasn't that the game where they put the wrong UND guy in the box, too. 

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

So now we have another precedent.  If you get a Major for facemasking in the last 19 seconds, there will be no further action.  Tyler should just take note of that, and test that precedent.  Of course there would be some other explanation.

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I did point out earlier the look that DU less calls against them than UND, but is this like a real thing? Do we think that the NCHC favors DU in general? Not sure why that would be the case haha. 

I have no idea why the refs seem to ALWAYS call big time penalties against us against DU, but I am not sure where a potential conspiracy would lie lol

I wouldn't say there's a conspiracy, more that DU seems to get the majority of calls at home, similar to MN at home.
If either of those teams are trailing in a home game late in the 3rd, it's pretty much a certainty that they will get a PP chance or two to get back into the game.

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

Hopefully this is accurate as I heard we might potentially be down an additonal forward this weekend.

4 hours ago, Goon said:

I agree that he should sit out the next game. Being it's Denver, he probably won't. I also believe that Magnus Chrona should be sitting out for the next game based on his antics at the end of the game. 

I think this message-board needs better emojis. @jimdahl We a tongue in Cheek emoji. ;)

On 2/7/2023 at 11:58 AM, Humboldt said:

LetsGoDU did an AI interview on the DU-UND series. Interesting to think about this technology once it gets refined. It has a long way to go but I can see it being a major source for betting data in the future. No real stats yet.
https://letsgodu.com/author/letsgodu/

Wisdom has been chasing LetsGoDU. 
But he has always been faster. 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Kevin G said:

I’m not familiar with InStats. Is the “InStat Index” like CHN’s KRACH rating? 

That's a good question. I haven't had a lot of time to play around with it because I am recovering from Carpal Tunnel Surgery. I will take a look at it. 

7 minutes ago, Goon said:

That's a good question. I haven't had a lot of time to play around with it because I am recovering from Carpal Tunnel Surgery. I will take a look at it. 

Oh man, sorry to hear that you needed surgery. I’ve heard that Carpal Tunnel can be pretty awful. Best of luck on your recovery! 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

Oh man, sorry to hear that you needed surgery. I’ve heard that Carpal Tunnel can be pretty awful. Best of luck on your recovery! 

Actually, it wasn't too bad. I am back at work after five days off. I was bored while I was at home. The first day back at work my incision was swearing at me. 

• Upvote 1

'We're a Much Different Team'

"There were some things that we weren't sharp at and they were," Berry said of the November series against Denver. "We're a way different team than we were then. Our habits and details have gotten a lot better in a lot of different areas.

"There are no secrets in the game anymore. You're exposed on video and things like that. When it comes down to playing hockey, there is system and structure — there's a lot of it — but at the end of the day, it's a mindset of the one-on-one puck battles, the possession plays that keep plays alive in the offensive zone. It's just a mentality-based will, a will to win those puck battles, to win situations where you have opportunities to control the play."

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/unds-power-play-is-clicking-at-rates-rarely-seen-in-college-hockey

The Fighting Hawks enter the month of February converting 32.4 percent of their chances. It's the best mark in the country, and if they keep it up, it would be the best of any college hockey team since 1995-96, when Colorado College hit 32.7 percent.

In fact, UND's power play has been even better as of late. The Fighting Hawks went 13-for-31 in January, a 41.9 percent clip.

That's because the Fighting Hawks have kept opposing penalty kills at bay by running numerous different plays and by randomly sneaking Gaber into different spots.

Jandric is the fourth-leading defenseman scorer in the nation with 26 points. Only three of his points have come at even strength. The other 23 are on the power play.