SiouxSports.com Forum

Lunatics @ hawks Saturday thread

gfhockey

33 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

So I ask this board what is different from this year and last? Basically the same d corps and they struggle, and not just them them fowards have seem to forgotten they have responsibilities also. 

Is it possible that while ‘we’ have remained the ‘same’, other teams have changed, developed, studied and evolved?

1 minute ago, Sweethockey said:

Someone care to enlighten me about what positives there are in having 5th year athletes? North akota.................they are missing the D!

Personally, I hate the Covid year. It’s killing college hockey over 4 years in terms of recruiting and development. Seniors, maybe juniors, but all the way to freshman? Nahhhhhh…

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I agree - the season is toast. Try something different. Like tell the forwards that it's OK to cover the other teams' players in front of the net. And that clearing the puck is OK, just try not to ice it but don't do such a weak attempt that it doesn't clear the blue line. Tell the defensemen to stay on their skates! You know, the basics. And I can't see 25 coming back next season- he plays a game better suited for a pro league. I would like to see him stay but I don't think he will. Hopefully 15 comes back, but has already been said, the 5-year thing is hurting college hockey.

Oh yeah, maybe find a goalie that can stop more pucks.

53 minutes ago, Irish said:

I am seriously concerned about our Hockey program.  No way we should miss the tournament 3 out of 5 years.  No way we should have the worst goaltending in the nation.  Our defense (especially returnees) has regressed.  We don't have the mental discipline to hold leads, play where you should be position-wise, or not take stupid penalties - to say nothing about our first and last 2 minutes of each period lapses.  We seem gassed late in the game.  I hope this turns around next year but I am worried - most of our rivals have had much more success lately and seem to move forward and adapt.  Interestingly, the person in charge of goalie development and recruitment is mentioned as a possible successor.  I don't look for any help or changes from the Athletic Department.  Chaves is presiding over probably the lowest overall point that I can remember in Sioux athletics - look at Football, Hockey, Men's and Women's Basketball, and Volleyball and tell me how successful we are.  Only Women's Basketball seems to be improving.  When we look at the St. Cloud series and expect to get hammered changes need to be made.  I just don't think we will make them.

Extremely low point in UND athletics, much agreed.  

I'll be honest and say I'm all in hockey and football and can't name a single player on pretty much any other team.  Not like any of them are doing anything anyways.  

15 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

What do we have to lose we are in seventh place in the league. 

Exactly. 

The square peg hasn't fit in the round hole at this point for BB.

Can't roll out the same lines and pairings and expect different in game results.

Maybe 10 needs a new look on a different line. Same for 17.  Get the draft picks on the ice. They were drafted for a reason. Coach them up and develop them the rest of this season.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sweethockey said:

Someone care to enlighten me about what positives there are in having 5th year athletes? North akota.................they are missing the D!

Maybe they’ll update the “NODAK “ sweaters…Change them to “NO_AK”.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sweethockey said:

5th year?

seems like some are 6, 7 and going on 8 years

get back to 4 years and  graduate 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

So I ask this board what is different from this year and last? Basically the same d corps and they struggle, and not just them them fowards have seem to forgotten they have responsibilities also. 

Let's not forget this team struggled defensively for over half the year last year but not to this degree and the goaltending was better. 

7 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Maybe they’ll update the “NODAK “ sweaters…Change them to “NO_AK”.

More like "NODIK" - back in the day Gino and Dean would run them up and down the bleachers or skate them until they puked at the old Ralph.   Now you have to speak gently to correct them but not punish them so they won't feel too bad about themselves.  Barry uses the "nice" approach but it's clearly a hell of a job nowadays.   Not easy...I don't blame him - he's a great guy.   BUT I wouldn't want his job.  Would you?

I don't advocate for abuse - either physical or psychological - but there is clearly something missing from these current teams.  They have the greatest arena - the most modern and expensive training facilities - the best college experience any college hockey player could have...what's missing??  IDK