SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

59 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Q was very successful in short yardage and goal line plays last year. I certainly hope there is a spot for him to do it again this year.

It would be a going for it on 4th down in our zone in a tied game type of move to not use him on short yardage situations. Why quit doing something they can’t stop?

2 minutes ago, UND Football Fan said:

Bulletin board material right there, not even a mention of UND. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, UND Football Fan said:

UND was not ranked last year and it took us forever to get in. Doesn’t ranking help with playoff selection?

However, we need to prove we can consistently be a playoff caliber team. 

You’ve disclosed an unfortunate truth; off the field perception does influence playoff selection based on how the process works.

with that said, it ultimately comes down to how you perform on the field; Bubba and boys simply need to win more big games (FBS games, NDSU, SDSU, etc). 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UND Football Fan said:

UND was not ranked last year and it took us forever to get in. Doesn’t ranking help with playoff selection?

However, we need to prove we can consistently be a playoff caliber team. 

My point is that nobody can predict what will happen for any team before a single down has been played. Picking a playoff bracket now is a waste of time. If we run the table during the regular season, not being included in the preseason playoff bracket won't matter. But yeah, not being included in a pre-season playoff bracket is a slap in the face and (I hope) bulletin board material for the team.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I think Northern Iowa is overrated in the MVFC poll.

I think UNI is about right..  they could throw a wrench into MVFC this year.  SDSU needed a last second FG last year to win.  I think the top 4 SDSU, NDSU, UNI, UND are very close.  SDSU had the best D line in the MVFC last year.  They graduated a couple of disruptors from that line.  It will still be good.  But, not as good as it was last year.  So, it will be interesting to watch the MVFC.  I don't think SDSU runs the table in conference this year.

13 minutes ago, FSSD said:

I think UNI is about right..  they could throw a wrench into MVFC this year.  SDSU needed a last second FG last year to win.  I think the top 4 SDSU, NDSU, UNI, UND are very close.  SDSU had the best D line in the MVFC last year.  They graduated a couple of disruptors from that line.  It will still be good.  But, not as good as it was last year.  So, it will be interesting to watch the MVFC.  I don't think SDSU runs the table in conference this year.

I guess I am just tired of UNI getting into the playoffs with a 6-5 record more often than not.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Friday 8/4/2023 dispatch from the Pollard:

Both sides of the ball were buzzing today.

They practiced in helmets and shoulder pads and did 3 live 11 on 11 sessions and some skelly work.

The day started with a 11 on 11 and the defense looked pumped and blew up a play right from the start.

The defense typically has a leg up on the offense to start fall camp and this year looks to be no different..although the gap seems much closer this year.

Offensively, the focus was on quick tempo plays ....get up to the line and get the play off quickly. 

Running backs Smith, Skokna and Z, along with Q at TE and newcomer Korey Tai at WR got a lot of targets early.

Future watch: Winnipegger CB Marcus Wahl is slight and not very tall but it's quickly evident what coaches saw in him. He's quick and sticky on defenders and practices at game speed always.

Top 3 newbies to keep an eye on early in camp (This does not mean they are candidates to have shirts pulled yet)

1. Marcus Wahl, CB

2. Lance Rucker, LB 

3. Korey Tai, WR

True freshman QB Jerry Kaminski looks to be about where Feeney was at this time last year. Head is swimming. He tucks and runs early a lot. He'll give plays more time as he grows into the playbook and things start to slow down. He looks the part, has an accurate arm when he throws. He hasn't demonstrated any deep throws yet. His progress is all very normal for young QB's first week.

O line gained a member in former TE 6-7 Trace Thaden

Starting O Line at practice today appeared to be Anderson and Kilty at tackles, Hagen and Ventrelli at guard and Borud at center. Bryant did spell Hagen at right gaurd sometimes today. Depth at O Line is the best I've seen in a long time.

During the second 11 on 11 session:

The play was more even in this session with a slight edge given again to the D.

In an all former FM athlete affair, CB Dixon had a nice PBU on tall lanky freshman receiver Vuciri Hakim on a ball from lefty QB Feeney.

RB Ziebarth and Seidel had nice long runs during the this session.

Tommy hit Red in the backfield and the speedy WR darted around the end for a first down.

Newcomer Safety Tyler Erkman had a PBU on WR DeMontagnac on a 20 yard pass up the sideline, but, according to my eyes, Erkman got their a tad early.

During Skelly drills:

Tommy hit Jack Write on a rope for 25 yards over the middle.

LB Mullen stripped Skok,a who looked to be fighting for more yards, on a short pass play. Defense got the recovery. 

A player who needs to find a spot on the field other than QB is Simon Romfo, ala Brockstar Boltmann. He's just so poised and athletic.

Romfo hit Belquist on a 40 yard touch down pass during skelly drills. Romfo put it in front of Belquist who had to burst to catch up to it, grab it and score.

Impressive and talented back up CB Bleuett followed that play up with a PBU

Several times today, Skokna reminded us what we were missing last year. His legs are fresh after a year off and his cuts are still sudden and sharp with incredible burst.

Local LB Paine Parks has strung together 3 strong practices at fall camp. Good size and athleticism for depth to backup Kelley, Pedigo, and MacNeil.

Elijah Klein finally made his appearance known today in the final 11 on 11 session of the day with two 20 or so yard grabs over the middle, one from Tommy and one from Feeney.

Red wound things up with a nice misdirection play in the backfield. The D bit hard on another player one way and Red who actually had the ball took it around the other way for what would have been a long TD. 

Appreciate the excellent recap.  Thanks!

Read the Herald article and Tom mentioned that former player Greg Lotysz is having health issues.  I guess I've been under a rock, because I noticed that Peyton was no longer on the team.  Anybody know what happened there?

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Read the Herald article and Tom mentioned that former player Greg Lotysz is having health issues.  I guess I've been under a rock, because I noticed that Peyton was no longer on the team.  Anybody know what happened there?

Injuries. Not sure if ACL or what 

4 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Elijah Klein finally made his appearance known today in the final 11 on 11 session of the day with two 20 or so yard grabs over the middle, one from Tommy and one from Feeney.

Really hoping he sees the field this year, have to hope he can beat the injury bug and we get "one of the greatest wide receivers in North Dakota prep history" out on the field 

20 minutes ago, McBuckets said:

Really hoping he sees the field this year, have to hope he can beat the injury bug and we get "one of the greatest wide receivers in North Dakota prep history" out on the field 

For sure. When you watch him walk and run it looks like he’s patched together with spare parts. But my can he catch!