SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

5 minutes ago, zonadub said:

I know it is water under the bridge at this point, but watching what DeBoer is doing at Washington or Vigen is doing at Montana State, you will never convince me that a team has to take a backwards step when there is a coaching change.

And I'll bet those student-athletes are building life-long relationships and learning life lessons while also winning. :wink:

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So it's no different than high school athletics? That is the attitude holding FB and other programs back.

You may be satisfied with 6-5 and 7-4 seasons with an occasional playoff appearance sprinkled in, but I think we are capable of so much more.

Can you please point out to me a single time they said they were satisfied with that? 

1 hour ago, SiouxBoys said:

Can you please point out to me a single time they said they were satisfied with that? 

It's the general attitude: We lost, bad game.....but they're just "student-athletes", so we should just move on. You have to read between the lines to see it, but it is there.

@UND-FB-FAN is right: We have been conditioned to accept slightly-above .500 football seasons as the best we can hope for. And I honestly think we can do much better.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Hans8891 said:

As we have all year, I expect we will play well at home, and I hope we have our full compliment of fans tailgating to support them.  We will certainly be there. We do, however, need to learn from these very very bad road losses. One, the coaches need to have the team prepared and ready to play on the road.  That has clearly not happened. 2, if something isn’t working, adjustments have to be made.

I wish all of these could happen too, but we all know we lost several attendees by losing yesterday (major momentum killer coming off the NDSU win) and why would the coaches just figure out the road issues now? It’s been an issue for years. It will continue to be an issue under this leadership structure. 

• Like 1

UND is like 23-2 in last 25 at the Alerus. So what does that make Bubba’s career road record.

I think Bubba is afraid to win on the road and make another coach look bad in front of their crowd.

Like I said, all the work against NDSU means nothing if you don’t follow it up. Well… 

Not having the team ready is on the coaches, starting at the top. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I think Bubba is afraid to win on the road and make another coach look bad in front of their crowd.

Certainly not a good quality or perspective to have if you’re a head football coach. 

It really is just baffling (and honestly embarrassing) how different the team is between home and away. 

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

UND is like 23-2 in last 25 at the Alerus. So what does that make Bubba’s career road record.

Like I said, all the work against NDSU means nothing if you don’t follow it up. Well… 

Not having the team ready is on the coaches, starting at the top. 

UND's road record under Bubba....18-37

31 minutes ago, UND Football Fan said:

Comparison to last 25 home and 25 away games. 

23-2 Home last 25

6-19 Away last 25. 
of those 6 wins only Youngstown 7-4 had a winning record.

Is Bubbas best road win against then #5 Sam Houston who finished 6-5? 0 road wins against teams who made the playoffs? Do I have that straight?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Is Bubbas best road win against then #5 Sam Houston who finished 6-5? 0 road wins against teams who made the playoffs? Do I have that straight?

I believe you would be right. Wyoming ended up 2-10 in 2015 so that win isn’t impressive either.

16 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I only went to last 25 for comparison so I did not include Sam Houston and yes no playoff teams. Most losses were FBS or teams with winning records. 

11 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Boosters/fans don’t make decisions (nor should they).They certainly can create pressure on the decision makers if they organize and provide enough of the necessary resources that would create a significant hardship if withheld or create important opportunities if given. 

Exactly boosters or fans with no $$$$ to influence a decision are going to get a say in the coaching 

18-37 under Bubba
6-19 last 25

Gino Gasparini used to preach "win at home; split on the road". 

23-2 (last 25 home) is "win at home". 

The other part, not so much.
Split the road would be 27-28 (or 12-13 last 25). 

A just 27-28 road mark (vs 18-37) would be about one more win for each of Bubba's ten seasons.