SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

We had about a month of night games when the Alerus Center opened in 2001. They were well attended. But Dale Lennon kept bitching about not liking night games and pretty soon we were back to 1pm ad nauseum. A lot of other coaches make night games work all the time, so there is no reason why we can't do it again.

I always liked the night games.  Should definitely bring them back.  But only for the first couple home games.  I remember tailgating at a November game back in the day and it was dark and below zero.  That was miserable.  But early fall night games would be great!!  Have to do it before hockey starts.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jdub27 said:

SDSU definitely made the right call not moving on from Stiegelmeier.

There's no guarantees on staying the course or making a change. It's almost like the people making the decisions have a lot more information than fans that goes well beyond public information. Nebraska is literally a perfect example of letting fans have way too much input on coaching decisions. 

Well, Nebraska also has the longest sellout streak in the nation. UND could learn a thing or two about respecting and listening to the fans. I fear (and know from experience) there’s a lot of tone-deaf snobs in the UND athletic department with ulterior motives. Their heads are a bit too big, you could say. 
Alerus Center would be more full potentially if the fans had a larger voice.

When it all comes down to it, it is all about finances, but extending Bubba after a 5-6 season makes you wonder what else is going on.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I always liked the night games.  Should definitely bring them back.  But only for the first couple home games.  I remember tailgating at a November game back in the day and it was dark and below zero.  That was miserable.  But early fall night games would be great!!  Have to do it before hockey starts.

Agreed! Night playoff games also could be fun potentially, although would be cold. If I recall, the Richmond game in 2016 was a later start, and it was a fun atmosphere despite people being in New York for hockey. Team let us down again, but was still fun. Only other DI home playoff game was affected by COVID-19 restrictions (spring 2021) and wasn’t as fun of an atmosphere due to limited crowd. 

UND desperately needs home playoff games - they are a lot fun. But, football team and their coaches need to get the damn job done on the field …..

23 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I fear (and know from experience) there’s a lot of tone-deaf snobs in the UND athletic department with ulterior motives. Their heads are a bit too big, you could say. 
Alerus Center would be more full potentially if the fans had a larger voice.

Tell me more.

23 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Well, Nebraska also has the longest sellout streak in the nation. UND could learn a thing or two about respecting and listening to the fans. 

We're literally talking about product on the field and Nebraska has had 1 winning season in 8 going on 9, a 40% winning percentage and are on their 4th coach (counting one interim) since fans pushed Pelini out (who never won less than 9 games, was 7 for 7 in winning seasons and had a 71% winning percentage). Brilliant move by Nebraska. Really elevated their program....

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Tell me more.

We're literally talking about product on the field and Nebraska has had 1 winning season in 8 going on 9, a 40% winning percentage and are on their 4th coach (counting one interim) since fans pushed Pelini out (who never won less than 9 games, was 7 for 7 in winning seasons and had a 71% winning percentage). Brilliant move by Nebraska. Really elevated their program....

Hoops fan dislikes facts.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Agreed! Night playoff games also could be fun potentially, although would be cold. If I recall, the Richmond game in 2016 was a later start, and it was a fun atmosphere despite people being in New York for hockey. Team let us down again, but was still fun. Only other DI home playoff game was affected by COVID-19 restrictions (spring 2021) and wasn’t as fun of an atmosphere due to limited crowd. 

UND desperately needs home playoff games - they are a lot fun. But, football team and their coaches need to get the damn job done on the field …..

Playoff game times are dictated by ESPN, but our regular season home game times are not. Have some night games during September.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Tell me more.

Despite Nebraska’s product on the field being so sh*t, they’re still sold out year after year. Doesn’t make you wonder, huh? Fan appreciation, maybe? 
@iramurphy and I got into this a bit back, but you shouldn’t need a “special invite” to be looked onto favorably. I have the ability and connections in order to speak to the staff (I already do), no problem, so this is not a personal vendetta, but rather an observation on overall mechanics and function.

Alumni staff is not pulling their weight. It’s a weakness for UND right now for sure. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Despite Nebraska’s product on the field being so sh*t, they’re still sold out year after year. Doesn’t make you wonder, huh? Fan appreciation, maybe? 
@iramurphy and I got into this a bit back, but you shouldn’t need a “special invite” to be looked onto favorably. I have the ability and connections in order to speak to the staff (I already do), no problem, so this is not a personal vendetta, but rather an observation on overall mechanics and function.

Alumni staff is not pulling their weight. It’s a weakness for UND right now for sure. 

How many alumni in any of our sports are giving back to that sport?

there are some wealthy alumni in several sports

also do you think they talk with the coaches about how the teams are doing?

4 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Doesn't your take on Nebraska conflict with your often repeated narrative that super passionate fans are the key to success & hardware?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

On 10/2/2023 at 10:56 AM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

4-4 so far.......any changes with USD beating the bizons in fargo?

After the Yotes beat the Bison, the game @USD moves to a "L" from a "toss up".  Remainder of the schedule gives us 2 more wins(W Ill and Ind St), 3 losses( NDSU, @UNI, @USD) and 2 "toss-ups"(@Murray St and Ill St).   

We will finish with 4-6 wins and 5-7 losses. 

Vintage Bubba ball.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 90siouxfan said:

Doesn't your take on Nebraska conflict with your often repeated narrative that super passionate fans are the key to success & hardware?

Have I ever said that fans are more important than the players/recruiting or coaching? No. You just falsely attributed something to me. Not a surprise. 

Nebraska fans are super passionate, and passionate fans are important, but don’t make it sound like I’ve said fans are more important than the coaches and players, because I never said that. 

• Upvote 1

I listened to the podcast last night and I've got some questions for those who used to play or know a lot more about football than I do. 

Especially on the defensive side (now I know both Kelly and Matt played defense, so that is what they know), they were very surprised at some of the things the defense was doing.  Who's to blame for that?  Obviously if the coaches don't tell the kids something, that's the coaches' fault.  But if the coaches are trying to instruct, but the kid doesn't get it, is that the coaches' fault or the kid's fault?  I mean, you can have a really good teacher and really dumb student, and if the student doesn't perform, who's fault is that?  Either way, it makes the everyone look bad.  Or was it the coaches' fault because they recruited a kid who isn't smart enough to get it?  Or is it because the kid just doesn't have enough experience??  That's one thing that's hard to teach - experience.

Another thing that Kelly often says after a game like SDSU (or Boise State) is "Burn the tape."  Isn't that a recipe for repeating your own mistakes?  Doesn't seem like the healthiest  approach.  Watch the tape and LEARN.  That's what I would think, anyways.

I would love to get some locker room input on this stuff.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Another thing that Kelly often says after a game like SDSU (or Boise State) is "Burn the tape."  Isn't that a recipe for repeating your own mistakes?  Doesn't seem like the healthiest  approach.  Watch the tape and LEARN.  That's what I would think, anyways.

Good point. Have to learn from your mistakes, including in football. A lot of good coaches - high school, college, professional - on record saying this (in context of watching game film from bad games/losses). Of course, Kelly is not on the coaching staff, so take this with a grain of salt. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

"Burn the tape" is BS.  We had a bye week to get ready for SDSU and couldn't stop them and couldn't move the ball.  That is just sh*t!y coaching...This team is not as good as as some of Bubba's past teams, especially on defense.  So much of football still comes down to coaching...game planning, motivation, belief, energy, play calling, in game adjustments...it’s football.

I posted this earlier this week. There is a chance that the reason it was so lopsided is because SDSU is a step or two better than ANY other FCS team, except for Montana State. Let’s let this one play out for a few more weeks. 

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

"Burn the tape" is BS.  We had a bye week to get ready for SDSU and couldn't stop them and couldn't move the ball.  That is just sh*t!y coaching...This team is not as good as as some of Bubba's past teams, especially on defense.  So much of football still comes down to coaching...game planning, motivation, belief, energy, play calling, in game adjustments...its football.

What does your first sentence have to do with the rest of the rant?

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, AJS said:

I posted this earlier this week. There is a chance that the reason it was so lopsided is because SDSU is a step or two better than ANY other FCS team, except for Montana State. Let’s let this one play out for a few more weeks. 

Very possible but it sure would be nice to be able to hang with them, at very least

21 minutes ago, AJS said:

Even if they’re the best FCS team, we had zero answers for them on O or D.  

Many of you have played and/or coached.  

Was this game over before it began?  (Art of War).  I’ve had that feeling  about this team the last season and a half.  Actually since the Bison debacle at the Alerus.

• Upvote 1