SiouxSports.com Forum

Crime

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

23 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Barakat's last browser history was a KVRR article "Thousands enjoy first day of Downtown Fargo Street Fair".  

Side bar.......go downtown on a weekend evening after 700 pm and if you look like me you'll be in the minority.

Is that because after 7pm most of the elderly are retired for the evening?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 90siouxfan said:

Is that because after 7pm most of the elderly are retired for the evening?

Probably true. Could be why Barakat was looking to shoot/blow up those at the street fair before 7 pm.

On 7/21/2023 at 10:21 AM, The Sicatoka said:

I still worry that naming the cops make them targets for retaliation. 

I think in this case it was a matter of "if" the officer that ended it would have also gone down in the initial salvo - this would have had a MUCH more horrendous result.   The shooter has free shots at whoever he wants.  If he would have been mortally wounded but had the presence of mind to shoot the tanks of explosives he had in his car it would have been an explosion from hell.  

Naming the officer says "yes there was 1 person who made a huge difference here and it was this guy" and it was.   His identity would have been easy to find out anyway.  His performance and heroism was astounding - DW broke down many times talking about it - I agree.  He is a true hero - it could have been SO much worse on so many levels.  

The Fargo cop killer (won't use his name) was from Syria. UND hockey great John Noah's parents were from Lebanon. Folks from that region can look very lightly pigmented, like folks with European ancestry. The photo surprises me none. 

On 7/19/2023 at 7:11 AM, The Sicatoka said:

Please link to what I posted on B'ville on topic. (Hint: I've said nothing there on topic.) 

PS - A former FBI agent assigned to ND and NW MN, a friend, she agrees with me that the officer that ended the situation should not have been identified by name or photo. 
PPS - "Need to know" has been used in place of "don't know" or "too scary to admit" too often. See: Vegas Route 91. 

BCA shares new details in shooting of Ricky Cobb II on Monday including the trooper who fired the fatal shots (msn.com)

Seems to be a common practice that the officers get identified after shootings...

32 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

BCA shares new details in shooting of Ricky Cobb II on Monday including the trooper who fired the fatal shots (msn.com)

Seems to be a common practice that the officers get identified after shootings...

I disagree with it but I'm not in charge of it. 

On 7/22/2023 at 5:28 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

sounds like he had some helpers........wonder if he did his part and the rest got cold feet and headed down the interstate to cedar riverside?

Haven't heard much more about him or them yet have we.....

Uncle Joe's DOJ used the quiet broom to sweep it under rug so far.... me thinks. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

On 8/3/2023 at 1:16 PM, The Sicatoka said:
  • I need transparency in this case only as far as "FPD officer" (to know it wasn't CCSO, NDHP, other). 

This is an agent of the government that shot someone to death. Yes, in this case it is clear cut, the officer was not only in the right, but it appears he was the last man standing before things got way worse, yet he still gave the POS multiple opportunities to give up and continue to live. Doesn't change the fact that he is a government employee that shot someone to death. There is no way to hide his name, and we really shouldn't want to try.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, N of GF said:

how so? Do you know something the rest of us don't?

Me spitballing.....lone ranger like this incident....no big deal....

Gang violence....where there is multiple people involved...you killed "one of them"...

They will easily find where you live and visit you in the middle of the night...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Cratter said:

Gang violence....where there is multiple people involved...you killed "one of them"...

They will easily find where you live and visit you in the middle of the night...

Yeah, I get where you're going, but the worst gangs in L.A. and Chicago don't even do that !@#$. The last thing 'gangs' want is tit-for-tat war with the local PD.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Cratter said:

Yeah, correct. Look what happened to the officer Darren Wilson in St. Louis after his use of force that ended up killing Michael Brown, he  had to go into hiding because of threats against his life. 

(CNN) — Darren Wilson has lived in the shadows for nearly four months, changing residence from house to house, spending spare time in dark movie theaters, in hopes he won’t be spotted.

But he has not sneaked around alone. He has had protectors.

Fellow officers have been by his side day and night, as deadly threats have driven the former Ferguson police officer into hiding, after he shot unarmed teen Michael Brown in August.

“Fraternal Order of Police members from the surrounding area volunteered and have provided him with security from that time, right up until the present,” FOP spokesman Jim Pasco told CNN.

They had to, because Ferguson police were either “unwilling or unable” to protect Wilson, Pasco alleged. It was the department’s duty, he said. “That’s what the police department’s supposed to do.”

• Upvote 1