SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Indiana State 11/05/22

SiouxFan100

11 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Is every game that UND football plays, where they are considered the favorite, considered a trap game? And if so, why?

Maybe I can use another phrase to describe it, but how many times have we seen this where UND can control their playoff destiny, only to mess it up by losing to a team they shouldn't and be left out. Perhaps I should say, don't stub your toes.

I should call it Idalski syndrome because he managed to perfect that. 

I've seen the script so many times. I want them to finally change it. 

UND will be favored and I hope they act like it and smack ISU Blue around, so they can come home and the send the senior out with another win. 

• Upvote 3

You throw to score, you run to win. 

I don’t trust this UND team’s defense, so honestly, the key to the win is for UND to come out behind Hoosman, Smith, and Ziebarth (maybe some Red Wilson, too), and run the ball. Demoralize Indiana State early and take them out of the game. UND needs to get their running game rolling as we approach playoff football, anyway. And, of course, can’t have fumbles/turnovers or penalties. 

UND does those three things (1. run the ball well [4+ ypc], 2. win turnover battle, 3. win penalty ratio), and then UND can beat both Indiana State and South Dakota. Heck, that recipe will beat the bizzzoon. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

That isn’t how one determines talent. That is how most fans and media types evaluate talent. Waletzko had no other offers. The Hegg kid from NDSU was a walk on. Belquist is an FBS talent. If we evaluated talent by your method these guys would have been at Concordia or MSUM. We have a lot of talented kids on this team. The fact is every team we play has talented kids. Some more than others. There isn’t a cupcake on the schedule this year. 

and a guy like Mcneal had a ton of offers but hasn't played much at all.  

42 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

That isn’t how one determines talent. That is how most fans and media types evaluate talent. Waletzko had no other offers. The Hegg kid from NDSU was a walk on. Belquist is an FBS talent. If we evaluated talent by your method these guys would have been at Concordia or MSUM. We have a lot of talented kids on this team. The fact is every team we play has talented kids. Some more than others. There isn’t a cupcake on the schedule this year. 

You mentioned three players, only one of whom is on the current UND football team. Sure, there are always exceptions, but certainly not across the board. With that said, my comment was just meant to reflect that UND’s talent level isn’t at that of South Dakota State or North Dakota State, which should be obvious. When a kid is only offered DII scholarships that either means they weren’t scouted closely or other DI staffs didn’t think they could play for their institution. All of these kids with only DII offers are not future standouts, obviously.

Indiana State isn’t considered a cupcake, sure, but at some point there needs to be some confidence that UND football can beat 1-7 teams … when will that time come? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

ISU lost by 6 points or less to NDSU, UNI, Illinois State, and Youngstown.  And we all know we don't do easy, so I would expect this will be another 4 quarter game. Whatever it takes....just win!

Nailed it. They’re better than their record and better than their performance on Saturday. 

8 games into an 11-game season and all logic tells you this team is what it is at this point. I'm having trouble accepting that though. In four of their wins this season, their inability to seize momentum and truly put teams away has made the final scores closer than they could have been. They have put a few 1/2s of games together, but never a full game. It's not that they aren't close. I'm talking one stop when they are up 10 and then going back down the field and scoring. 

The great news is they are sitting at 5-3 (3-2). I'm still convinced 7-4 will get you into the playoffs. They will be favored in two of their last three. Yes, just win. No game will ever be perfect, but what I want to see this weekend is a complete game. All eyes for me are on Special Teams. Cannot have another performance like that this season.

• Upvote 2

Does anybody if there's something wrong (specifically an injury) with Brady Stevens?  I don't think he kicked one touchback on Saturday.  IIRC, he was getting touchbacks regularly earlier in the season.  I didn't fully understand the importance of kickoff touchbacks until the season:huh:

42 minutes ago, homer said:

Either the players are better than DII talent or the coaches are better than you give credit for.  

No it doesn’t have to be one or the other. In someone’s fantasy world, maybe there’s a unifying cause, but in reality, it’s a little of both. Can always use more talented student-athletes but also more innovative coaches that are good to great motivators.  

Lastly, again, my comments weren’t to suggest that the entire team is full of DII talent, but there’s more DII talent on it than there should be. As @iramurphy says in different words to rouse the crowd here, need to keep getting better; recruit better, coach better. 

• Downvote 1

54 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

Nailed it. They’re better than their record and better than their performance on Saturday. 

I think ISU is better than their record (1-7), but UND also needs to be counted on to win games like this. Again, expectations here are important, despite all the babble on that around here.

Let’s not be sandbagging for a letdown. UND football - led by Bubba Schweigert - needs to get the job done against a 1-7 team; after all, you are what your record says you are.

• Upvote 1