SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Indiana State 11/05/22

SiouxFan100

17 minutes ago, AJS said:

this team is what it is at this point. I'm having trouble accepting that though

Same with me.  I want to believe that our defense and special teams are still ascending to their season peak, but with nearly 3/4 of the season complete, is that a logical expectation?  There have been multiple opportunities to show growth and it hasn't been shown.  Disappointing to say the least.

12 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Does anybody if there's something wrong (specifically an injury) with Brady Stevens?  I don't think he kicked one touchback on Saturday.  IIRC, he was getting touchbacks regularly earlier in the season.  I didn't fully understand the importance of kickoff touchbacks until the season:huh:

GeauSioux is a wayyyy better authority on this than I am... but I don't think there is anything wrong (injury wise) with Brady's leg. He could kick touch backs all day long anywhere if he wanted to. I think he is simply doing what the coaches tell him to do before each kick, based on scouting and watching tapes. If there is high confidence our special teams can shut down a returner shy of the 25, then why automatically give them the 25 with a touchback? Now, granted after that it's up to player execution, from Brady to the kick-off coverage unit.. .and that was simply brutal on Saturday.

11 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Same with me.  I want to believe that our defense and special teams are still ascending to their season peak, but with nearly 3/4 of the season complete, is that a logical expectation?  There have been multiple opportunities to show growth and it hasn't been shown.  Disappointing to say the least.

Team is what it is unfortunately at this point. Odds are they go 6-5 and miss playoffs, but everyone stills celebrates Bubba for a winning record here at UND. I would call it a blatant failure considering UND would have two consecutive seasons without playoffs. 

But possible still to go 7-4 and make playoffs. That would be a successful season.

8-3 with win in Fargo is technically possible but improbable. I’ll be there cheering on UND if they set that matchup up, however, by winning @ISU and vs USD. Can’t miss the opportunity to watch UND beat the bizzzoons for first time in DI era. 

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Team is what it is unfortunately at this point. Odds are they go 6-5 and miss playoffs, but everyone stills celebrates Bubba for a winning record here at UND. I would call it a blatant failure considering UND would have two consecutive seasons without playoffs. 

But possible still to go 7-4 and make playoffs. That would be  successful season.

8-3 with win in Fargo is technically possible but improbable. I’ll be there cheering on UND if they set that matchup up, however, by winning @ISU and vs USD.

Who pissed in your cereal this morning?

4 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

everyone stills celebrates Bubba for a winning record here at UND. I would call it a blatant failure considering UND would have two consecutive seasons without playoffs

I've been supportive of the coaches, but missing playoffs this year would be a huge red flag that there's a flaw somewhere in the coaching ranks and can't be ignored.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I just mentioned complementary football in all three phases, but I'm ok for the rest of the season to leave the offense out and strictly handcuff the defense and special teams together. 24. That would be my goal this week for points given up. It'll start by not giving up large chunks on kickoffs or punt returns. At the same time, if the punt team pins ISU-Blue back inside the ten. Get a 3 and out. 

24. Giving up only that much will not only win the game but will allow some positive momentum for this team defensively.  

1 minute ago, AJS said:

24. Giving up only that much will not only win the game but will allow some positive momentum for this team defensively.  

That's even too much for me.  I wanted 17 or fewer against ACU.  I'll stick with that number.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

GeauSioux is a wayyyy better authority on this than I am... but I don't think there is anything wrong (injury wise) with Brady's leg. He could kick touch backs all day long anywhere if he wanted to. I think he is simply doing what the coaches tell him to do before each kick, based on scouting and watching tapes. If there is high confidence our special teams can shut down a returner shy of the 25, then why automatically give them the 25 with a touchback? Now, granted after that it's up to player execution, from Brady to the kick-off coverage unit.. .and that was simply brutal on Saturday.

If this is the case, then Kostich deserves every ounce of criticism he got on Saturday. I did bold this part, because to me it's completely situation then almost. I don't care how good you feel about your kick-off coverage, after a TD put the opponents on the 25 every single time. Last weekend was not the first time where UND gave up a huge return following a TD that completely changed momentum. 

• Upvote 2

Would love to see UND get out to the lead on Saturday and run away with it. Last Saturday had the feeling that UND was going to get burned by letting them hang around instead of putting it away given the opportunity. If UND gets one stop last week and goes up 17 instead of giving up a touchdown and only being up 3, the questionable calls by the refs would've been irrelevant and game over. That has to start with kickoff coverage after a TD being much better. Was getting to a point, they should've just borderline kicked it out of bounds, instead of a long return and losing all the momentum. Even when they squib kicked it, they still were able to return it to midfield. While the defense needs to improve, they were also being put out there with a short field way too often. 

41 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

But possible still to go 7-4 and make playoffs. That would be a successful season.

8-3 with win in Fargo is technically possible but improbable. I’ll be there cheering on UND if they set that matchup up, however, by winning @ISU and vs USD. Can’t miss the opportunity to watch UND beat the bizzzoons for first time in DI era. 

that's the problem i have....seems like a majority of people on here are content with "making the playoffs"...in bubba's tenure FCS has lost a bunch of higher level schools to FBS so just making the playoffs should be much much easier and god forbid we might win a couple of playoff games.......but

i still feel like our ST might cost us a close game down the stretch....and cost us a playoff spot

last play of the season .....41 yd field to win by one and make the playoffs...how confident are we/us that that kick goes thru the middle?

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, AJS said:

I just mentioned complementary football in all three phases, but I'm ok for the rest of the season to leave the offense out and strictly handcuff the defense and special teams together. 24. That would be my goal this week for points given up. It'll start by not giving up large chunks on kickoffs or punt returns. At the same time, if the punt team pins ISU-Blue back inside the ten. Get a 3 and out. 

31 yd punt in the first quarter iirc setting up acu with a very very short field and i think they scored on that drive too?

38 minutes ago, AJS said:

If this is the case, then Kostich deserves every ounce of criticism he got on Saturday. I did bold this part, because to me it's completely situation then almost. I don't care how good you feel about your kick-off coverage, after a TD put the opponents on the 25 every single time. Last weekend was not the first time where UND gave up a huge return following a TD that completely changed momentum. 

Agreed and Coach K gets it. He's a smart guy. But don't take the red hot spotlight off the kick coverage unit, as well. They need to execute in those situations.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

content with "making the playoffs"

I can't say I speak for everyone, but I would say that's the Tier 1 goal.  "Make the playoffs" and see what kind of noise we can make (kind of like making the NCAA in hockey - doesn't matter how you're in, just as long as you're in).  In my mind, Tier 2 goal would be host a playoff game (which we have done).  Tier 3 goal would to be seeded (which we have also done), and so on and so forth.  I am ok with the idea that this is a process that builds on previous accomplishments.  So far, we've played in the quarterfinals twice, but lost each time.  That would be my immediate goal for the remainder of the Tommy Schuster era - win the quarterfinal game and earn a spot in the semi-finals.  But don't take being a semi-finalist as my stamp of "mission accomplished;" that can only be sated with an NCAA FCS championship. 

• Upvote 2

wondering how many times two teams ended up with the same record and the teams that lost to the other team made the playoffs instead of the team that beat the other team...

makes me nervous that uni or ysu get in with 7 wins and we sit with 7 wins yet we beat both of them...including on the road against ysu

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Massey's predictor says UND has about 2/3 chance of beating each InSU and USD and a 1/4 chance against NDSU. 

Yeah not sure I agree with Massey. But we will see. I’ll happily eat crow if we go 7-4, as that or 8-3 should be what we want. But I sense 6-5. 

• Downvote 1

50 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Agreed and Coach K gets it. He's a smart guy. But don't take the red hot spotlight off the kick coverage unit, as well. They need to execute in those situations.

I don’t want to split here, but it’s not all about execution (and I’m not saying that’s what your saying). The other sideline has coaches playing a chess match, too. Coaches need to put their players in the best position. So when the opposing kick return unit has a player faster than anyone on your team, and they’ve proven they can get to the outside, don’t keep kicking it to him. Or do we just say - kick it to him and players go out and execute?

Needs to be a bit of both; players do their jobs, coaches do theirs. 

22 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I don’t want to split here, but it’s not all about execution (and I’m not saying that’s what your saying). The other sideline has coaches playing a chess match, too. Coaches need to put their players in the best position. So when the opposing kick return unit has a player faster than anyone on your team, and they’ve proven they can get to the outside, don’t keep kicking it to him. Or do we just say - kick it to him and players go out and execute?

Needs to be a bit of both; players do their jobs, coaches do theirs. 

You kick it five yards into the end zone- if you are capable of doing so