SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ The John vs. Goofs - THE RIVALRY Friday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

Just now, scpa0305 said:

Brutal brutal loss…that was the game. Tomorrow will be tough. Mn way more skilled 

Yah, it felt like we were hanging on for dear life through much of the second half of the game. Didn’t seem like we generated any sustain O zone pressure. Minnesota have better skaters? 

We are getting out recruited by a lot of teams.  Starting to show. Got outplayed badly by a much younger team tonight. Our puck control and breakout is gawdawful. Because we couldn’t skate or compete for the puck with Minn.

• Upvote 1

Thought we were gonna hang on and steal a W

DeRidder was really solid but I think he'd want that tying goal back

Took advantage of opportunities but have to generate more, at times it felt like we'd have the puck in O zone with room to operate and we were almost more worried about just getting back to play D instead of looking to make a play. You have the puck look for offense!

Too many careless plays just getting rid of the puck, Minnesota's D is the best in the country you have to make things harder on them too many easy retrievals

Minnesota's offensive depth is much better than ours but I thought we did a decent job limiting chances from prime scoring areas. A much better job in coverage away from the puck as well as getting sticks on pucks/guys

After really sitting back in the 2nd I thought we came out decently aggressive in the 3rd but then about halfway through it is like a switch flipped and we went back to sitting back and chipping pucks in with really no purpose or even forecheck, Minnesota is too good of team to allow easy uncontested outs and think you can just win playing defense. The best defense against them is some o zone time and making their forwards play in the d zone.

6 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Yah, it felt like we were hanging on for dear life through much of the second half of the game. Didn’t seem like we generated any sustain O zone pressure. Minnesota have better skaters? 

Minnesota has better skaters than any team in college hockey. I'd put their d group at the top of the list as well. Part of the lack of o zone pressure was us as well though, seemed like at times they were so focused on playing defense they just pointlessly gave up the puck instead of looking to create and make plays offensively. 

That was a fun game to watch despite the outcome. Gophers are more talented and will be scary good when they gel better. DeRidder kept us in it and was the player of the game, but the Gophers took a lot of shots he had clean looks at; don't let the shot differential fool you. All-time bad call against Blake, Chesley slipped like EVERYBODY ELSE did tonight with how shoddy the ice was.

• Upvote 2

Armchair qb and not to pile on but…Judd could have laid out and prevented that tying goal. Made a half ass effort at blocking a shot. I get not taking yourself out of the play by laying down, but that guy was slapping his stick on the ice the minute he hit the blue line. You knew a shot was coming. If you aren’t gonna contribute offensively, at least be tough to play against defensively. We’ve seen him enough to know what he is at this point and he should be one of the guys bouncing in and out of the lineup instead of others. Albrecht brings more to the team honestly. 

11 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Blake was called for a very tacky hooking penalty only because it happened in front of the goalie. Bad call considering the no calls the gophers were getting tripping all night.

By the book, it’s a hook.  But I agree with you; it’s not consistent with how the rest of the game was called.