SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ The John vs. Goofs - THE RIVALRY Friday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Fair enough.....then it has to be Hain or James. On the top 2 lines tonight 5  guys are top 6 on this team. Need that 6th guy.

Everything should be on the table with lines.  39 shots the last two games combined and have had very little offensive flow the entire season.  Guys also need to be winning one on one battles.

20 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Assuming an L tomorrow, I’d say an 0-3-1 record in the last 4 games with 2 of those having been at home might be a cause for concern…

Or for sure.  But not "cancel all hope for the season" stuff.  UND is still a quality team this year, just has to shore up some issues.
Have to consider their competition in those 4 games as well...QU and UMN are both legit Frozen Four teams and UND is playing them back to back very early in the season.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

Everything should be on the table with lines. 

Agreed.
Split up some of the d-corps pairs that haven't been playing as well as hoped.
Judd gets moved to 3rd/4th line or in the stands (not even a sog tonight for him while on the supposed 1st line).
Get James out there to use his wheels on the big ice.
DeRidder earned another start.

15 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Or for sure.  But not "cancel all hope for the season" stuff.  UND is still a quality team this year, just has to shore up some issues.
Have to consider their competition in those 4 games as well...QU and UMN are both legit Frozen Four teams and UND is playing them back to back very early in the season.

Agree on not cancelling the season, but on the flip side, I’m not part of the “quality losses” bandwagon either…

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Tick tock = Bubba and company need to sort this out and we need to play with grit in the 3rd.

13 minutes ago, brianvf said:

For sure, I'd take subpar wins over quality losses any day.

Again, I’m not sure last Saturday’s loss counts as “quality.”  That was a good old-fashioned a**-kicking.  At home, no less.  Follow that up with tonight’s Gopher shooting gallery, yikes…

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-gives-up-late-lead-loses-to-minnesota-in-overtime?auth0Authentication=true

Closing out games in Mariucci has been a massive problem for UND in recent years.

This was the fifth time in the last 11 games between the rivals in Mariucci that UND has allowed a game-tying or game-winning goal in the final three minutes of regulation.

Ouch.  5th time in the last 11 games?  That's brutal.

UND didn't walk away completely empty handed.

An overtime victory is worth 67 percent of a regulation win; an overtime loss is worth 33 percent. So, there was some value for UND in the Pairwise Rankings, which are used to select and seed the NCAA tournament in March.

Well that makes me feel much better.  ;) 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Goon said:

I thought that was a horrendous call. IRC, wasn't a UND player tripped (no call), right before that penalty?

It looked quite obvious to me that the refs decided after UND's PP early in the third that UND was getting the next penalty unless a Gopher committed murder! McLaughlin with a head of steam and open ice in the neutral zone gets absolutely chopped down and no call. Brutal! All that being said, we didn't lose because of the refs. I don't have a good feeling about tonight. We looked completely gassed in the third.  

• Upvote 1

Don't have a good feeling about tonight after last night.  If our guys were that gassed in the third then all the healthy scratches have to play tonight, and someone needs to tell Kunz dumb roughing penalties can't happen tonight.

I think 9-8-17 should become a reality tonight.  

9 hours ago, brianvf said:

Agreed.
Split up some of the d-corps pairs that haven't been playing as well as hoped.
Judd gets moved to 3rd/4th line or in the stands (not even a sog tonight for him while on the supposed 1st line).
Get James out there to use his wheels on the big ice.
DeRidder earned another start.

They did split up the d pairs and I thought they played very well team D. The first two goals were weak…first goal was bad. The OT goal was unfortunate, very good player just absolutely walked jandric. Could have been saved but it would have had to be a big one. The problem with the game was that we had next to no possession. We got up and laid back a bit. 

9 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

They did split up the d pairs and I thought they played very well team D. The first two goals were weak…first goal was bad. The OT goal was unfortunate, very good player just absolutely walked jandric. Could have been saved but it would have had to be a big one. The problem with the game was that we had next to no possession. We got up and laid back a bit. 

Berry always talks about playing hard and heavy and you are 100 percent correct on the puck possession.  Heck it was like Balboa sitting back and taking shots from Apollo.  That wasn't playing hard and heavy that was hoping to survive at the end.

I'm still baffled by who was on the ice at the end there.  Yes, DeRidder has to make that save, but last three minutes we have to have 6 forwards in your rotation that will lay it on the line.....