SiouxSports.com Forum

Homecoming

shep

10 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

They called for a two point play at 26-21. To me that's easy; that's the right decision to try to go up seven. 

But at 32-21, they ran a two point play (yes, it worked, 34-21 and up 13); but, I would've called for the K and go up 12. Your thoughts? 

I didn't mind it.  What's the difference between being up 11 or 12?  At 13, we force a kicker who was 0/2 on FGs (3/3 on XPs, to be fair) to make 2 more XPs.

The XP vs 2 point decision that didn't make any sense was MSU choosing to take the XP and leave it a 3 score game (48-31) when they could've gone for 2 to cut it to a 2-score game.  Yes it was late in the game, but there was still enough time for a miracle.

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

My thoughts are regardless of what decision was made, it was a billion times better than Petrino going for the XP when down 18 and solidifying it as a 3 score game. I know there were just under 2 minutes left, but why bother with an onside kick and then also burning your last timeout after you didn't recover if you've thrown in the white flag?

The timeout at the end didn't make any sense.  Maybe he was still pissed about that TD on 4th and 5.  If you piss off the other coach, you're doing it right!!

19 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

My thoughts are regardless of what decision was made, it was a billion times better than Petrino going for the XP when down 18 and solidifying it as a 3 score game. I know there were just under 2 minutes left, but why bother with an onside kick and then also burning your last timeout after you didn't recover if you've thrown in the white flag?

Those really don't align to a coherent strategy. 

15 hours ago, iramurphy said:

No one else is shocked. You keep posting nonsense about Kostich. (A guy who was respected for his work at Minnesota before coming to UND).  Our special teams play has been very good this year and our special teams recruiting just got a commitment from an outstanding kicker from Fargo South. Somehow you have reached the conclusion based on a players mistake not only is Kostich to blame but you have continually posted he should be replaced. When our special teams have had a bad game you have wanted him fired, but when they are playing well you have changed to wanting him gone for one bad play.  

the reason i keep posting about kostitch is because our ST consistently suck...no other way around it....first punt of the year...blocked...first kickoff return at home...fumble

i remember the day when we could roll out a kicker and it's snap, place, kick, and its good...from 50 plus...JGT, Glas, the kid from Ankeny....

now we can't even field a kickoff without turning it over....or just get a damn punt off and you win the game against stoney brook.

and it isn't just coack k....who punts when your down 3 scores with 7 minutes left in a playoff game when you have already given up 250 plus yards on the ground...who goes for it on 4 and 1 on your own 25?  time management issues....

we win one game people on here say we are unbeatable then we get blown out the next week...for every game bubba wins he loses one...that's not a good ratio...

we gotta win 2 more road games starting this week against youngstown and and isu...and then 2 more homes against sodak and acu...assuming we lose to sdsu and ndac...

let's see what bubba and the coaches can do bc 7 wins probably won't get us in...and i hope making the playoffs don't come down to a game winning 39 yard fg thats wide left

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

I didn't mind it.  What's the difference between being up 11 or 12?  At 13, we force a kicker who was 0/2 on FGs (3/3 on XPs, to be fair) to make 2 more XPs.

The XP vs 2 point decision that didn't make any sense was MSU choosing to take the XP and leave it a 3 score game (48-31) when they could've gone for 2 to cut it to a 2-score game.  Yes it was late in the game, but there was still enough time for a miracle.

yes...you kick the extra point to go up 12...it's no brainer. requires 2 td's...if they would've kicked a long fg (after getting 6+2 obviously) as time expired to tie the game instead of a hail mary we would've gotta the ol' "shucks i just felt like going for 2 was the right move" from bubba.

I've been as down on Bubba as anyone regarding some of his (hyper-)conservative play. But I do think he is learning and adapting. He may have gone for it on 4th as much in five games this year as the total of his prior tenure. And he actually let his offense keep going after 34 points on the board.

Dare I say he may finally be changing with the game as it changes around him. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Everyone has to remember that Siouxfan97 yelled at Tommy for not running it on the play below. Tommy scrambled out to his left to bye time, yes he had a little open room but that defender in the flat was screaming upfield at him at full speed. Tommy wouldn't have picked up any yards on that play and he would have taken a hit. How many huge plays has Tommy made scrambling out to the right or left, and he has run it several times when it was completely wide open and picked up yards. But because Tommy threw it away on that play and doesn't run it every time he gets outside Siouxfan97 wants to pull Tommy and put Romfo in. He literally called for Romfo to come in and play yesterday, that is why you can't take half of his posts serious. Yeah let's pull a guy who is 1st in completions, completion percentage, and Interceptions in the conference for an unknown commodity just because he can run better. Makes perfect sense. 

PXL_20221003_031010792.jpg

PXL_20221003_033336090.jpg

so tommy couldn't have broken his ankles like the guy in the uni game?  any yards are better than no yards...run for sideline at the 35 and maybe get 15 added on...

7 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

so tommy couldn't have broken his ankles like the guy in the uni game?  any yards are better than no yards...run for sideline at the 35 and maybe get 15 added on...

If Tommy can create time and space for himself and not get hit, I'll accept the throw-aways because some of the other connections are well worth it (this week: 39 yards to Maag; past weeks: game clincher to AdZav). 

41 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

the reason i keep posting about kostitch is because our ST consistently suck...no other way around it....first punt of the year...blocked...first kickoff return at home...fumble

i remember the day when we could roll out a kicker and it's snap, place, kick, and its good...from 50 plus...JGT, Glas, the kid from Ankeny....

now we can't even field a kickoff without turning it over....or just get a damn punt off and you win the game against stoney brook.

and it isn't just coack k....who punts when your down 3 scores with 7 minutes left in a playoff game when you have already given up 250 plus yards on the ground...who goes for it on 4 and 1 on your own 25?  time management issues....

we win one game people on here say we are unbeatable then we get blown out the next week...for every game bubba wins he loses one...that's not a good ratio...

we gotta win 2 more road games starting this week against youngstown and and isu...and then 2 more homes against sodak and acu...assuming we lose to sdsu and ndac...

let's see what bubba and the coaches can do bc 7 wins probably won't get us in...and i hope making the playoffs don't come down to a game winning 39 yard fg thats wide left

In what world will 7 wins not get us in? That would mean 4 losses if that happens. The 4 losses would be a P5 school, NDSU, SDSU, and a pretty good SIU team.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

No I don't think Tommy would have broken the DB's ankles if he ran it on that play.  Yes he did it at the goal line that one time where he was about to go in the end zone so the defender went all in on him going straight ahead.  Tommy can run but he's not the Michael Vick type and routinely going to break CB's ankles when he has them 1 on 1 out in the flat.  Maybe Romfo could have broken the CB's ankles out in the flat.......maybe we should just play him the whole game  :wink:

3 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

In what world will 7 wins not get us in? That would mean 4 losses if that happens. The 4 losses would be a P5 school, NDSU, SDSU, and a pretty good SIU team.

Another clear example of you can't take some of his posts seriously at all.  There is absolutely ZERO chance we don't get in the playoffs with only 4 losses this year.  

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

The good ol' days certainly get better with age. Glas missed 29 FGs (67/96) over 4 years, Zeb missed 20 (45/65) over 4 years, and JGT, though having the fewest attempts of the three, missed only 13 FGs (31/44) over four years. Their career FG% are pretty close -- 69%, 69%, and 70%, respectively. 

Compare that to Brady Stevens, who has only been kicking FGs in 2021 and 2022: Stevens has missed 7 FGs (11/18) over those 1.5 seasons, for a 61%. AVG.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

No I don't think Tommy would have broken the DB's ankles if he ran it on that play.  

14, 90, and 2 all had vectors on him to the sideline; and, the DB coming from "Hugos" guaranteed no escape.

That was a "live to another play" situation.
Pitch it away; run another play. 

And don't take unwarranted hits. 

1 minute ago, Teeder11 said:

The good ol' days certainly get better with age. Glas missed 29 FGs (67/96) over 4 years, Zeb missed 20 (45/65) over 4 years, and JGT, though having the fewest attempts of the three, missed only 4 FGs (31/44) over four years. Their career FG% are pretty close -- 69%, 69%, and 70%, respectively. 

Compare that to Brady Stevens, who has only been kicking FGs in 2021 and 2022: Stevens has missed 7 FGs (11/18) over those 1.5 seasons, for a 61%. AVG.

It would be worth breaking those percentages out into 3 distance categories. <35, 35-50, 50+ 

• Upvote 1