SiouxSports.com Forum

UND hockey collective

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

9 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Yeah he was on the radio a few weeks

yada yada yada taking a philosophical approach yada yada yada sit back and watch it evovle

Hopefully he’s not waiting for the NCAA “interim” policy to become something different.

After the the Supreme Court ruled, the NCAA paid 43 million in attorney fees and has sinse shown zero interest in anti-trust lawsuits. They punted to the schools, state AGs (for 501c3 rulings), donors, compliance departments and firms, and athletes.

Facilitating, helping the athletes, and compliance is where an AD can be invaluable. It’s a little complicated but so is everything when it’s new. 15 months supplies plenty of data points and precedence. As policy evolves so should the AD. Collectives and schools now have 3rd party firm resources available. 

At this point saying “I’m watching” might be saying “I’m not up to the task”. But in his defense maybe nobody has shown interest in nil so neither has he. 

sorry for the whole War And Peace thing 

• 4 weeks later...

Penn state collective buying disability insurance for football team. University has been helping facilitate. 

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/en/Daily/Issues/2022/10/10/Colleges/Penn-State-NIL-collective-disability-insurance

“varying levels of remaining eligibility linked to a policy that ensures they can continue to receive partial income if they sustain injuries or are unable to play.” We Are NIL is also “receiving support from the university, despite not being directly affiliated.” Penn State coach James Franklin “has been particularly supportive” 

11 hours ago, CarpeRemote said:

Penn state collective buying disability insurance for football team. University has been helping facilitate. 

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/en/Daily/Issues/2022/10/10/Colleges/Penn-State-NIL-collective-disability-insurance

“varying levels of remaining eligibility linked to a policy that ensures they can continue to receive partial income if they sustain injuries or are unable to play.” We Are NIL is also “receiving support from the university, despite not being directly affiliated.” Penn State coach James Franklin “has been particularly supportive” 

A six-figure premium for 13 potential pros?  What risk pool are they using???  I'm sure that the "support" of the coach means a lot, though, when that bill comes due.

Easier to just let players use their NIL income to purchase their own personal insurance.

I have a gripe against NIL, or at least my understanding of NIL. I thought NIL was supposed to be a way for colleges with revenue-rich programs to share some of their money with the players who are generating all that revenue. The obvious examples are SEC football programs and blue-blood men's basketball programs. 

So along comes NIL rights for college athletes. But instead of the money coming from the college athletic departments, NIL money has to come directly from the fans through fan collectives. The colleges, as I understand it, aren't even allowed to give money directly to the athletes.

So NIL has become another fee for fans, even though many (most?) of whom are probably already maxed out on what they can afford to spend on tickets, merchandise, travel, streaming subscriptions, and direct support of their favorite athletic department. Now we have to donate even more money to a Collective so that our team can get good players to be competitive? And if our team doesn't win, then it's our fault because we didn't give enough money to lure the best players to his team? Is that the new reality?

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Kevin G said:

I have a gripe against NIL, or at least my understanding of NIL. I thought NIL was supposed to be a way for colleges with revenue-rich programs to share some of their money with the players who are generating all that revenue. The obvious examples are SEC football programs and blue-blood men's basketball programs. 

So along comes NIL rights for college athletes. But instead of the money coming from the college athletic departments, NIL money has to come directly from the fans through fan collectives. The colleges, as I understand it, aren't even allowed to give money directly to the athletes.

So NIL has become another fee for fans, even though many (most?) of whom are probably already maxed out on what they can afford to spend on tickets, merchandise, travel, streaming subscriptions, and direct support of their favorite athletic department. Now we have to donate even more money to a Collective so that our team can get good players to be competitive? And if our team doesn't win, then it's our fault because we didn't give enough money to lure the best players to his team? Is that the new reality?

Good post. . thats an interesting and probably accurate way to look at it.

I see it's intent more as an avenue for the player to do the work of obtaining the comp for their NIL....

But that is not the reality.... you are more accurate in your assessment.

• Upvote 2

On 8/31/2022 at 11:09 PM, CarpeRemote said:

We might wait 200 yrs for former FB powerhouse Nebraska to beat Alabama, probably longer. Bama fans demand a winner so they get a winner, there is nothing wrong with that. As a rabid CF fan I haven’t met anyone who doesn’t respect that. 

Go back to 1994 and then forward for a few years until the Nick Sagan hire and let me know what you think of Alabama football.  What is today won’t stay the same forever. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MafiaMan said:

Go back to 1994 and then forward for a few years until the Nick Sagan hire and let me know what you think of Alabama football.  What is today won’t stay the same forever. 

Nick Sagan?  Is that Carl’s brother?;)

• Upvote 1

On 10/14/2022 at 10:53 PM, Frozen4sioux said:

Good post. . thats an interesting and probably accurate way to look at it.

I see it's intent more as an avenue for the player to do the work of obtaining the comp for their NIL....

But that is not the reality.... you are more accurate in your assessment.

This was the original intent....College Athletes should be able to market their name and image was the arguement which I agree with. if a player wants to run a hockey camp in the summer or shoot a commercial and get compensated for it they should be able to. The biggest market for some of these athletes is as a brand influencer and using their various social media accounts....this lasted for a few months and while that is still the main avenue for many athletes it has quickly turned into a complete free for all and the NCAA gas basically said fu*& it, do whatever you want.

Something like this needs to be a top priority and it's 100% legit and aligned with the spirit of the original NIL rules.  I hope Chaves doesn't think a wait and see approach is necessary for something like this.  UND could sell authentic hockey jerseys with the names and numbers of current players, and they could sell jirts of current players as well.  

https://frontofficesports.com/college-football-jersey-sales/

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Something like this needs to be a top priority and it's 100% legit and aligned with the spirit of the original NIL rules.  I hope Chaves doesn't think a wait and see approach is necessary for something like this.  UND could sell authentic hockey jerseys with the names and numbers of current players, and they could sell jirts of current players as well.  

a lot of them would sell too

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

In theory, this should work, but not until there is a players' association or some entity to bargain on behalf of all athletes collectively.  Schools are not going to want to do one-off negotiations with their own students.  Can you imagine the chaos when player B finds out that his teammate, player A, got a better cut of jersey sales?  Or player C who didn't push for a better shirt deal gets more playing time than player D who did.  Nightmare scenarios.

The Customs shop at REA likely has a direct deal with the NHLPA.  That would keep them from having to track down individual athletes, and keeps UND out of it other than the fact the UND jersey being customized was itself legally sold (and UND got their cut). 

EDIT: The article doesn't indicate whether any of the 40 schools were actively or directly involved, so whether this is a UND decision at all is unclear. If it's entirely a student opt-in, then criticism of UND is simply misplaced.