SiouxSports.com Forum

UND hockey collective

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

16 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Devil's advocate here, but I'd rather win without one.  NIL is destined to ruin college sports anyway.  Why not buck the trend and compete straight up?

Players who would come here only for the easy money are probably here for the wrong reason.

Jost left a year early to get paid, with NIL he could have stayed.  Hockey players are generally not from poor families, but not everyone is the son of an NHLer or banker. The anecdotes about Kristo and Forbort sharing an 80's minivan were amusing, but considering what they could have been making from NIL shouldn't happen again.

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

The anecdotes about Kristo and Forbort sharing an 80's minivan were amusing, ...

Hey, don't knock vans.
Murray Baron had one.
Admittedly it was more "Mr T / A-Team" than Chrysler Town & Country ... 

On 8/30/2022 at 8:11 AM, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Are there any whispers of one starting? McFeely did his part to kick the tires for the JV football dynasty, maybe Brad could do the same? While hockey is different from football, it'd be pretty frustrating to find out we missed on a targeted recruit because they got a nice NIL deal elsewhere.

We have.

17 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Devil's advocate here, but I'd rather win without one.  NIL is destined to ruin college sports anyway.  Why not buck the trend and compete straight up?

Players who would come here only for the easy money are probably here for the wrong reason.

Nice sentiment, but spectacularly foolish to even consider at this point. 

Just utterly ignorant to think NIL is something to ignore.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Jost left a year early to get paid, with NIL he could have stayed.  Hockey players are generally not from poor families, but not everyone is the son of an NHLer or banker. The anecdotes about Kristo and Forbort sharing an 80's minivan were amusing, but considering what they could have been making from NIL shouldn't happen again.

Exactly.

1 hour ago, Frozen4sioux said:

We have.

Nice sentiment, but spectacularly foolish to even consider at this point. 

Just utterly ignorant to think NIL is something to ignore.

NIL is here to stay, if we don't accept it - we will continue to get out recruited. Great Jost example. Possibly same with others that left early as well.

• Upvote 1

On 8/30/2022 at 10:38 PM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

We might wait 200 yrs for former FB powerhouse Nebraska to beat Alabama, probably longer. Bama fans demand a winner so they get a winner, there is nothing wrong with that. As a rabid CF fan I haven’t met anyone who doesn’t respect that. 

1 hour ago, shep said:

Ignoring it is like ignoring cellphones or the internet. 

Good or bad, NIL money is needed for all UND sports.

True, and I will say mostly, if not all, good. 

It’s patently unfair for athletes to work and sacrifice to become the best, give all their time to an institution that might make millions from them, have no time for a job, and expect to get paid in just tuition. Even more so when we recruit them knowing full well they won’t or can’t stay for a degree.

7 hours ago, CarpeRemote said:

It’s patently unfair for athletes to work and sacrifice to become the best, give all their time to an institution that might make millions from them, have no time for a job, and expect to get paid in just tuition. Even more so when we recruit them knowing full well they won’t or can’t stay for a degree.

Give me a break.  Most schools are losing millions on athletics.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, CarpeRemote said:

So you're saying they are using UND to develop and get to the next level?   They have an option in hockey to go to Major Junior to get paid, but many want to get at least a start on their career after hockey.  

3 hours ago, tnt said:

So you're saying they are using UND to develop and get to the next level?   They have an option in hockey to go to Major Junior to get paid, but many want to get at least a start on their career after hockey.  

We need to be compensating hockey players at the very minimum on par with CHL stipends. I'm still convinced Gerlach bolting for MJ cost us a tournament appearance.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

We need to be compensating hockey players at the very minimum on par with CHL stipends. I'm still convinced Gerlach bolting for MJ cost us a tournament appearance.

They get FCOA which is more isn't it?  Not saying I'm not in favor of hockey and other sports at UND getting involved with NIL though.  In regard to hockey, the players could promote the Engelstad Foundation...

7 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Give me a break.  Most schools are losing millions on athletics.

No offense but not sure how “most” is relevant in this case, but if so it makes nil even more important at UND. So at the risk of going off tangent I’ll bite. 

When talking UND hockey these kids pack the house, sell beer and grinders, fill the bars and restaurants, and bring in the media contracts, licensing dollars, boosters and more. Not to mention they are entertaining as hell. 

In 2016 the F Forum printed an article saying all sports at UND and NDSU lost money. It also went on say some sports, specifically women’s hockey, Und football, and NDSU women’s BB were bleeding money while others, Sioux hockey and ndsu football were losing relatively small amounts due to the required “specific” accounting format. Then it said counting “non-specific” revenue like media revenue, clothing etc licensing, boosters, advertising, and corp help, UND hockey and NDSU football were well into the black. None of that counts the afore mentioned community economic impact, and revenue carrying other sports.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, CarpeRemote said:

No offense but not sure how “most” is relevant in this case, but if so it makes nil even more important at UND. So at the risk of going off tangent I’ll bite. 

When talking UND hockey these kids pack the house, sell beer and grinders, fill the bars and restaurants, and bring in the media contracts, licensing dollars, boosters and more. Not to mention they are entertaining as hell. 

In 2016 the F Forum printed an article saying all sports at UND and NDSU lost money. It also went on say some sports, specifically women’s hockey, Und football, and NDSU women’s BB were bleeding money while others, Sioux hockey and ndsu football were losing relatively small amounts due to the required “specific” accounting format. Then it said counting “non-specific” revenue like media revenue, clothing etc licensing, boosters, advertising, and corp help, UND hockey and NDSU football were well into the black. None of that counts the afore mentioned community economic impact, and revenue carrying other sports.

My comment stands and I don't feel the need to move the goal posts.

• 2 weeks later...

The discussion of arena music over in "Ralph Fan Engagement" just gave me a freaking brilliant idea (for someone else to implement) for money-laundering a NIL collective.

Step one: establish a "Fighting Sioux Fan Collective" (FSFC for short) as a legal entity whose purpose is to create NIL deals and partnerships for men's hockey student-athletes.

Step two: members of the FSFC create one arena-rock style song and copyright it. (I'm not even sure copyrighting would be necessary in this scheme.)

Step three: the FSFC as a legal entity licenses the song to UND/the Ralph for $1 million per year.

Step four: the FSFC then uses that income to create NIL deals for players on the hockey roster.

Step five: need more cash for more NIL deals? Repeat steps two through four. 

I mean, like, BOOM! Right!?!

1 hour ago, Kevin G said:

The discussion of arena music over in "Ralph Fan Engagement" just gave me a freaking brilliant idea (for someone else to implement) for money-laundering a NIL collective.

Step one: establish a "Fighting Sioux Fan Collective" (FSFC for short) as a legal entity whose purpose is to create NIL deals and partnerships for men's hockey student-athletes.

Step two: members of the FSFC create one arena-rock style song and copyright it. (I'm not even sure copyrighting would be necessary in this scheme.)

Step three: the FSFC as a legal entity licenses the song to UND/the Ralph for $1 million per year.

Step four: the FSFC then uses that income to create NIL deals for players on the hockey roster.

Step five: need more cash for more NIL deals? Repeat steps two through four. 

I mean, like, BOOM! Right!?!

Great idea! 

Too bad Heavy Metal Hockey is already out there in the public domain. That would be a huge hit at the Ralph. LOL!

But seriously, any lawyers around? Seems like this could actually work since the Ralph is a separate entity from UND.