SiouxSports.com Forum

What’s Needed To Hang A Green Banner?

geaux_sioux

44 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

I think Denver wins the natty now as Duluth had the best chance to slow them down. We are gonna have to get some kids that can score the puck if we wanna keep up with Denver as far as nattys.

Personally, any of the teams left have a decent shot to win it, although Quinnipiac a bit longer odds.

• Upvote 1

Not yet mentioned ... we will need, very soon I think, some form of NIL compensation for hockey players.   And football.  And basketball.  And volleyball.  

Its coming, and all too easy to see the big-money big-city schools look to trickle down to hockey which tilts recruiting toward whoever has it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

I think Denver wins the natty now as Duluth had the best chance to slow them down. We are gonna have to get some kids that can score the puck if we wanna keep up with Denver as far as nattys.

Denver always seems to have a handful of forwards who have a mercurial streak to them. Very dynamic, creative, always dangerous players. Risk takers. I don’t think we recruit enough of these types. Schmaltz, Caggulia, Jost and Gersich from our recent past come to mind. But they are too few and far between for me.

• Upvote 3

No reason we don't have more high enders - with our recruiting advantages we need to get in some elite front end talent.  Coaches need to hit the recruiting trail hard.  We should never be caught short.  One win in the tournaments since 16 is pathetic.  Get it done.  How did Mankato get better than us?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Irish said:

No reason we don't have more high enders - with our recruiting advantages we need to get in some elite front end talent.  Coaches need to hit the recruiting trail hard.  We should never be caught short.  One win in the tournaments since 16 is pathetic.  Get it done.  How did Mankato get better than us?

UND should have an elite top line every year shouldn't they? Decent school. Beautiful arena. Dedicated fans. Etc.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

The NCHC might need to think about moving the NCHC tournament a week earlier than it normally is scheduled. With the NCAA tournament starting on Thursday now, it is a quick turnaround to the NCAA tournament. 

40 minutes ago, #33 said:

The NCHC might need to think about moving the NCHC tournament a week earlier than it normally is scheduled. With the NCAA tournament starting on Thursday now, it is a quick turnaround to the NCAA tournament. 

I think the boys are fine

1 hour ago, JohnboyND7 said:

UND should have an elite top line every year shouldn't they? Decent school. Beautiful arena. Dedicated fans. Etc.

I got a downvote for saying you folks should have an elite top line every year lol.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 3/26/2022 at 10:22 PM, Irish said:

What advantages do we have over other school in recruiting? Most schools nowadays have just as good (or on the same level) arena/training facilities as UND. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Which schools have anything close to REA?

First of all that is down on a list of priorities for recruits. Coaches, teammates, location, opportunities to play all trump the arena. Many schools have new or updated facilities since the Ralph was built. Even though the arena is probably still at the top of the list many schools have locker rooms, player lounges, and training facilities that compare well to the Ralph. It’s a plus but it isn’t why kids come here. 

24 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

First of all that is down on a list of priorities for recruits. Coaches, teammates, location, opportunities to play all trump the arena. Many schools have new or updated facilities since the Ralph was built. Even though the arena is probably still at the top of the list many schools have locker rooms, player lounges, and training facilities that compare well to the Ralph. It’s a plus but it isn’t why kids come here. 

This is correct. 

1 hour ago, siouxkid12 said:

What advantages do we have over other school in recruiting? Most schools nowadays have just as good (or on the same level) arena/training facilities as UND. 

Best fanbase in the country - usually lead in attendance and travel unbelievably well.  Best facilities.  Proven track record of producing NHL players. Great player development.  8 National Championships and usually in contention for league championships and almost always make the regionals.  Great national reputation.  A long history of high end talent including Toews, Parise, Oshie, etc.  A good chance of playing in a high profile destination game.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

I wasn't just talking about the arena. We just spent millions to upgrade the locker rooms at REA. We also have training equipment in REA that is top-notch. And every few years, we are upgrading this or that in REA. I would imagine most schools are not upgrading their facilities that often. And our program is talked about favorably by a lot of people in the hockey world (collegiate and professional). So I think we still have all the tools to recruit high-end talent.

• Upvote 1