SiouxSports.com Forum

What’s Needed To Hang A Green Banner?

geaux_sioux

42 minutes ago, Irish said:

It's mainly on the coaches to up their recruiting game.  That's a big part of the job.  We are losing too many recruiting battles.  Mankato had 2 of the 10 finalists for the Hoby this year and have made two consecutive Frozen 4s.  It's up to the coaches to evaluate talent and sell our program.  

Like I said, what should they do differently? We're still nabbing plenty of top end guys, but missing on the true "blue chippa" with a handful of exceptions. I love our recruiting pipeline right now. What do you think should be done differently to get a guy like Cooley to pick UND over Minny, for example? 

52 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Fine.

Have it your way.

Mandate to Ashton Calder that if he comes back he must revert to his LSSU fish bowl.

Otherwise, no deal. 

Shutterstock_10068859cw.jpg

People want green banners and I have the answer. Calder is a fish bowl guy I guess. The stats don’t lie. Let him spread his wings and carry this team to the promised land.

35 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Like I said, what should they do differently? We're still nabbing plenty of top end guys, but missing on the true "blue chippa" with a handful of exceptions. I love our recruiting pipeline right now. What do you think should be done differently to get a guy like Cooley to pick UND over Minny, for example? 

Along with almost everyone on this board, I have zero insight into Cooley's recruiting process.  Apparently Minnesota was able to convince him that his college career, development, and pro prospects were better there than here and he bonded better with the coaches.  While we certainly won't get all Blue Chippers to come here we should get more than we have.  Denver is in the Frozen Four and has 4 of 6 on the NCHC all rookie team (we have two - one is our pretty untested goalie.  The question was "What's needed to hang a green banner" - not so sure why more Blue Chippers is getting such push-back.  My second thing would be more team discipline - we had to lead the Nation in inopportune penalties.

I'm not gonna lie, If I was a decent hockey player getting recruited to the college game, you could throw all the Ralph has to offer and such, but if it came down to UND or playing at ASU.....ASU might win....:whistling:

The campus, the golf, the weather, the girls.....yeah some things are more important than Nattys to kids nowadays.....:lol:

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Irish said:

Along with almost everyone on this board, I have zero insight into Cooley's recruiting process.  Apparently Minnesota was able to convince him that his college career, development, and pro prospects were better there than here and he bonded better with the coaches.  While we certainly won't get all Blue Chippers to come here we should get more than we have.  Denver is in the Frozen Four and has 4 of 6 on the NCHC all rookie team (we have two - one is our pretty untested goalie.  The question was "What's needed to hang a green banner" - not so sure why more Blue Chippers is getting such push-back.  My second thing would be more team discipline - we had to lead the Nation in inopportune penalties.

Fair enough. I'm just speaking more of what's needed to be done. Lots of things being said, but not a lot of ideas on how to achieve it.

43 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I'm not gonna lie, If I was a decent hockey player getting recruited to the college game, you could throw all the Ralph has to offer and such, but if it came down to UND or playing at ASU.....ASU might win....:whistling:

The campus, the golf, the weather, the girls.....yeah some things are more important than Nattys to kids nowadays.....:lol: 

Depends on what level of player you were IMO.
If you had a shot at the NHL, you'd want to pick the school better prepared to help develop you for the NHL.
And in that regard, there's many many schools better than ASU.

1 minute ago, brianvf said:

Depends on what level of player you were IMO.
If you had a shot at the NHL, you'd want to pick the school better prepared to help develop you for the NHL.
And in that regard, there's many many schools better than ASU.

college at und and get drafted by the coyotes...........

12 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

college at und and get drafted by the coyotes...........

Ha!  Talk about weather extremes.
I grew up in GF and now live in Phx.

The 115deg summers take awhile to get used to...and you still don't go outside much for any prolonged time.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Fair enough. I'm just speaking more of what's needed to be done. Lots of things being said, but not a lot of ideas on how to achieve it.

I get your point - In my opinion how to achieve it is hard to quantify.  In essence recruiting is basically a sales job.  Think of a car salesman - some are very successful and some are not.  They are all selling the same basic product - they rely on their personal relationship with their customers, their reputation - especially among former customers, the deal they offer, and the facilities they have to back them up for service and repairs.  Our program has a lot to offer - we need to sell it to top recruits.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Irish said:

The premise of your argument is flawed: that UND does not get as many "Blue Chippers". If you define a "blue chipper" as a 1st round pick, please go back to the thread for "Prospective Recruits" from January 27, 2022 (page 510). In that post, I noted that since 2010, here are the 1st round picks:

(1) Michigan--14; (2) BU--12; (3) BC and UND--9; (4) Wisconsin--6; (5) Minnesota--5; (6) Denver, SCSU, Providence and Miami-- 2; (7) UMD, UMass, UConn, Northeastern, CC and Harvard--1. 

UND gets more top recruits than all of its NCHC rivals, and has for years. Only "blue bloods" Michigan and BC have gotten more. Even BU, with all of its recent success getting top recruits, is tied with UND. Minnesota now got Cooley, so they are up to 6, which is still less than UND. Minnesota is also a blue blood and most Minnesota kids grow up with the dream of wearing the "M". 

Notice that DU has only gotten since 2010, and Mankato has 0. There is a lot more to building a team that getting "blue chippers." Michigan has 7 1st round picks on its roster, and several 2nd round picks. Michigan may win it this year, but it is not guaranteed.

The bottom line: RELAX. UND is a power in college hockey, is well-coached, gets good recruits and will continue to be one of the top programs in the country. Not every top recruit will come to UND because of many factors--geography, quality of education, playing time, top minutes, coaching, etc. All we can ask is that we are in the conversation, and the Cooley situation shows that UND is usually in the conversation. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

The premise of your argument is flawed: that UND does not get as many "Blue Chippers". If you define a "blue chipper" as a 1st round pick, please go back to the thread for "Prospective Recruits" from January 27, 2022 (page 510). In that post, I noted that since 2010, here are the 1st round picks:

(1) Michigan--14; (2) BU--12; (3) BC and UND--9; (4) Wisconsin--6; (5) Minnesota--5; (6) Denver, SCSU, Providence and Miami-- 2; (7) UMD, UMass, UConn, Northeastern, CC and Harvard--1. 

UND gets more top recruits than all of its NCHC rivals, and has for years. Only "blue bloods" Michigan and BC have gotten more. Even BU, with all of its recent success getting top recruits, is tied with UND. Minnesota now got Cooley, so they are up to 6, which is still less than UND. Minnesota is also a blue blood and most Minnesota kids grow up with the dream of wearing the "M". 

Notice that DU has only gotten since 2010, and Mankato has 0. There is a lot more to building a team that getting "blue chippers." Michigan has 7 1st round picks on its roster, and several 2nd round picks. Michigan may win it this year, but it is not guaranteed.

The bottom line: RELAX. UND is a power in college hockey, is well-coached, gets good recruits and will continue to be one of the top programs in the country. Not every top recruit will come to UND because of many factors--geography, quality of education, playing time, top minutes, coaching, etc. All we can ask is that we are in the conversation, and the Cooley situation shows that UND is usually in the conversation. 

Great research - you went all the way back to 2010 when Hak was recruiting.  Not suggesting you do it but It would be interesting to see how many blue chippers have been recruited by current staff.  After seeing our lack of firepower this year it may be a concern.  Since 2016 there have been 5 Frozen Fours counting this year - none in 21.  Denver has made 3, Duluth 4, MInnesota State 2 and St. Cloud 1.  We, on the other hand, have a total of 1 regional victory.  "Blue Chippers" - meaning first rounders - may not be the solution but more firepower certainly is.  Not sure what is causing this but I am hoping for a swift turn-around and winning some recruiting battles would be a good start.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Irish said:

Great research - you went all the way back to 2010 when Hak was recruiting.  Not suggesting you do it but It would be interesting to see how many blue chippers have been recruited by current staff.  After seeing our lack of firepower this year it may be a concern.  Since 2016 there have been 5 Frozen Fours counting this year - none in 21.  Denver has made 3, Duluth 4, MInnesota State 2 and St. Cloud 1.  We, on the other hand, have a total of 1 regional victory.  "Blue Chippers" - meaning first rounders - may not be the solution but more firepower certainly is.  Not sure what is causing this but I am hoping for a swift turn-around and winning some recruiting battles would be a good start.

Off the top of my head, Tyson Jost, Jacob Bernard-Docker, Shane Pinto and Jake Sanderson. Kleven was a 2nd rounder. That's not a bad group. You also have to keep in mind that in 2019, UND was #1 in the power rankings, and the NCAA tourney was cancelled. In 2020, they lost in 5 OTs even though they outplayed Duluth for much of that game, particularly the OTs. They also lost to BU in 2 OTs after dominating and having the winning goal waved off. This team has been very competitive except for 1 year, which was not unexpected after they won in 2016 and lost most of the team. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

Off the top of my head, Tyson Jost, Jacob Bernard-Docker, Shane Pinto and Jake Sanderson. Kleven was a 2nd rounder. That's not a bad group. You also have to keep in mind that in 2019, UND was #1 in the power rankings, and the NCAA tourney was cancelled. In 2020, they lost in 5 OTs even though they outplayed Duluth for much of that game, particularly the OTs. They also lost to BU in 2 OTs after dominating and having the winning goal waved off. This team has been very competitive except for 1 year, which was not unexpected after they won in 2016 and lost most of the team. 

Good points - in those tough losses we struggled to put the puck in the net - that's why I would like some more firepower.

5 minutes ago, Irish said:

Good points - in those tough losses we struggled to put the puck in the net - that's why I would like some more firepower.

Denver just won 3-2 and 2-1, and they are the number 2 offense in the country. MSUM is No. 1 and beat Notre Dame 1-0. Goaltending and defense win this time of year. Look at Duluth. It is usually a race to 2 but they win more 2-1 games than any program. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1