21 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

Ed Robson Arena

Pegula Ice Arena

Kohl Center

Mayo Clinic Health Systems Event Center

Value City Arena

Baxter Arena

Amsoil Arena

Arizona State University's (will be super nice once completed)

Here are my takes on your list:

Ed Robson Arena...nice looking, a little more than half the size of the Old REA, nice atmosphere if you have the fans and energy.

Pegula Ice Arena....nice looking, about the size of Old REA, nice atmosphere if you have the fans and energy.

Kohl Center...older than the Current REA, dual basketball-hockey arena, seats about 5,500 more people.

Mayo Clinic Health Systems Event Center.....the Mankato Civil Center, really?

Value City Arena.....older than the Current REA, a little bigger than Kohl Center, dual basketball-hockey arena.

Baxter Arena.....a little bigger than the Old REA, dual basketball-hockey arena, nice atmosphere if you have the fans and energy.

Amsoil Arena.....a little bigger than the Old REA, nice atmosphere if you have the fans and energy.

Arizona State University's (will be super nice once completed).....will be a little smaller than the Old REA, should have a nice atmosphere if you have the fans and energy.

The newer arenas seem to be built smaller and more compact, which creates an awesome atmosphere if the fans are present and active. And I would have no problem with UND playing in such a building if we didn't have REA. But calling them superior to REA because they are newer? I just don't see it.

6 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

I have explained it. Let me do it again. People say we can recruit the best because of our arena and history. Well guess what, that time has passed us. Again, arena's have caught up to UND. Those schools that you mentioned have done more by finding the right players for their program and I hate to say it but they have the correct coach for their program too. I know Berry would be snatched up by lots of other schools in a heartbeat but basically going 1-3 in NCAA play (not counting his first year) and missing out on the NCAA 2 CONSECUTIVE years, doesn't cut it. You think the folks at Alabama would allow that to happen?

So we are a plucky mid-major now? Really? I simply do not agree with that.

No one gets all the blue chip recruits, but we shouldn't lose as many recruiting battles as we have the past couple of years. We have a nice class coming in for Fall 2022, but I am more concerned about after that.

41 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

Ed Robson Arena

Pegula Ice Arena

Kohl Center

Mayo Clinic Health Systems Event Center

Value City Arena

Baxter Arena

Amsoil Arena

Arizona State University's (will be super nice once completed)

This is a list of rinks that are better than REA?  Oh my.
Kohl Center?  That's not even a real hockey rink, let alone one that is better than REA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Irish said:

Exactly my point.  Not saying we should get every blue chipper but we should be getting more.  Someone at Michigan must be doing a great job of selling their program.  And they're still playing.  And they haven't won a Natty since 1998.  They have some recruiting advantages we don't have and we have some they don't have.  Time for us to up our game.  

Do you have an idea how you'd like to do this? I'd be pretty shocked to find out that UND isn't doing everything in their power to get the best players possible.

30 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

No one gets all the blue chip recruits, but we shouldn't lose as many recruiting battles as we have the past couple of years. We have a nice class coming in for Fall 2022, but I am more concerned about after that.

Why do you keep saying this? Hoping it'll come true? We won the best conference in college hockey the past two seasons. 

The class coming in for Fall 2023 could be rated higher with Perron, Livanavage, Strathmann, James/Spicer

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

And you still haven't explained away how Quinnipiac, UMass-Amherst, Union and MSU-Mankato can arguably have more national success than we do. 

In the sample size of the last ten years:

• MSU-Mankato and Q'piac have more regular season wins, but have seen more cupcakes than Dolly Madison also.
  • None of that list have more National Titles than UND in the timespan

Just now, stoneySIOUX said:

Why do you keep saying this? Hoping it'll come true? We won the best conference in college hockey the past two seasons. 

The class coming in for Fall 2023 could be rated higher with Perron, Livanavage, Strathmann, James/Spicer

That is what some people on here are making us sound like. I do not agree with it and I sure as heck don't want it to come true.

34 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Here are my takes on your list:

Ed Robson Arena...nice looking, a little more than half the size of the Old REA, nice atmosphere if you have the fans and energy.

Pegula Ice Arena....nice looking, about the size of Old REA, nice atmosphere if you have the fans and energy.

Kohl Center...older than the Current REA, dual basketball-hockey arena, seats about 5,500 more people.

Mayo Clinic Health Systems Event Center.....the Mankato Civil Center, really?

Value City Arena.....older than the Current REA, a little bigger than Kohl Center, dual basketball-hockey arena.

Baxter Arena.....a little bigger than the Old REA, dual basketball-hockey arena, nice atmosphere if you have the fans and energy.

Amsoil Arena.....a little bigger than the Old REA, nice atmosphere if you have the fans and energy.

Arizona State University's (will be super nice once completed).....will be a little smaller than the Old REA, should have a nice atmosphere if you have the fans and energy.

The newer arenas seem to be built smaller and more compact, which creates an awesome atmosphere if the fans are present and active. And I would have no problem with UND playing in such a building if we didn't have REA. But calling them superior to REA because they are newer? I just don't see it.

I never once said they were superior, so stop with that nonsense. Also, you said "nice looking" which means you have never been to them. 

The REA duals as a multi sports arena also, so stop with that non-sense about it being dual. Yes, the REA might be bigger but that if that is all you're trying to sell someone on, please. They have just as nice as a locker room, nice weight room, nice athletic training rooms, nice lunch/study/break room as the Ralph does. You also keep bringing up the size of the REA but it sure is empty and also look empty a lot of nights when all the fans are sitting in the concourse or in the bar on each side.

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

That is what some people on here are making us sound like. I do not agree with it and I sure as heck don't want it to come true.

Got it. Well, it's not lolol. And it just won't happen.

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

Wrong.

Three. 

Yeah, sorry, math is hard and I lost count :D

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, brianvf said:

They don't.

Union won it all in 2014 (over the Goofs). UMass won it all in 2021. Quinnipiac has been to two NCAA title games and I believe will get over the hump eventually. And Mankato is in the Frozen Four for the second consecutive year. Maybe more isn't appropriate, but either the same or close to the same level of success is. And those are small fish in the world of collegiate athletics. Not winning Nattys and not getting to the Frozen Four has consequences when it comes to recruiting. And those problems feed unto themselves. The sooner we turn it around, the better.

7 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

I never once said they were superior, so stop with that nonsense. Also, you said "nice looking" which means you have never been to them. 

The REA duals as a multi sports arena also, so stop with that non-sense about it being dual. Yes, the REA might be bigger but that if that is all you're trying to sell someone on, please. They have just as nice as a locker room, nice weight room, nice athletic training rooms, nice lunch/study/break room as the Ralph does. You also keep bringing up the size of the REA but it sure is empty and also look empty a lot of nights when all the fans are sitting in the concourse or in the bar on each side.

I looked up the photos online (inside with fans in them) and they look very nice. Just my 2 cents.

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Union won it all in 2014 (over the Goofs). UMass won it all in 2021. Quinnipiac has been to two NCAA title games and I believe will get over the hump eventually. And Mankato is in the Frozen Four for the second consecutive year. Maybe more isn't appropriate, but either the same or close to the same level of success is. And those are small fish in the world of collegiate athletics. Not winning Nattys and not getting to the Frozen Four has consequences when it comes to recruiting. And those problems feed unto themselves. The sooner we turn it around, the better.

But none of these teams are getting the blue chip recruits... 

I'm so confused.

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

But none of these teams are getting the blue chip recruits... 

I'm so confused.

Now we are getting back to the topic of what constitutes a "blue chip" recruit? That is a subjective measure in itself. Whatever you call them, they obviously have some good ones. I do think this forward class coming in has the potential to make us a Top 5 program again next season, assuming we don't have another bloodbath of players leaving early like last offseason.

36 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Did I ever say we were a mid-major? No. Did I say that school are catching up to us in recruiting and facilities, yes. You people talk about how we can sit on the REA and use that as our recruiting and I am telling you no we can't. Because if that were the case we would be getting all the Blue Chippers and we aren't, other schools are finally catching up to us. Do other other school have the same tradition as us? No but using our tradition isn't helping us. Hell Michigan has more national titles than us and they have great tradition too but they are not producing either. The kids have changed the way they play and what they are looking for in programs. It's fine if you want to sit and talk about how great the REA is (it is a fine facility) but I am willing to bet that it's not the number one reason why kids choose a school any longer. 

53 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Do you have an idea how you'd like to do this? I'd be pretty shocked to find out that UND isn't doing everything in their power to get the best players possible.

It's mainly on the coaches to up their recruiting game.  That's a big part of the job.  We are losing too many recruiting battles.  Mankato had 2 of the 10 finalists for the Hoby this year and have made two consecutive Frozen 4s.  It's up to the coaches to evaluate talent and sell our program.  

17 minutes ago, Irish said:

It's mainly on the coaches to up their recruiting game.  That's a big part of the job.  We are losing too many recruiting battles.  Mankato had 2 of the 10 finalists for the Hoby this year and have made two consecutive Frozen 4s.  It's up to the coaches to evaluate talent and sell our program.  

Dryden Mckay committed to Mankato just shy of his 20th birthday and was 21 when he started his college career. Nathan Smith was a 3rd round pick so probably wouldn't be considered a blue chip recruit by those on this board. He was also 21 when he played his first game for the Mavs. Mankato has done a good job at developing older talent. I agree UND needs to find a mix between the BU/Michigan Model and the Minnesota State model.