SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

2 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

He's going to be drafted this summer but he's not even close to being good enough to play here next year? We have four forwards returning who had 20 points or more. Four of them.

So, this goes back to the same argument that we've been having with current players, James, Blake, Etc... There are roles. Spicer would be in a suit basically all year unless we are all ok with bottom 6.

Never said he wasn't close to being good enough, but he's not better than 75% of our forwards, IMO. He's also not better than Blake, McLaughlin, and James, from what I've seen. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, brianvf said:

Agreed. 
Also agree with the take that Spicer might be panicking a bit…he would very much benefit from a year in the USHL and be able to contribute right away next season. Instead he’ll get bottom 6 minutes on a different team. 
This feels like the Donovan situation all over again. 

I'm pretty sure Gaber has scored as many points in a weekend as Ryder Donovan has in his NCAA career.  Tough to speak to his situation, but potentially dodged a bullet there.

No question this stings.  Would he have helped next year?  Probably not much.  2, 3, 4 years down the road?  He definitely had the potential and pedigree to be a top of the lineup player as an upperclassman.

Just now, stoneySIOUX said:

So, this goes back to the same argument that we've been having with current players, James, Blake, Etc... There are roles. Spicer would be in a suit basically all year unless we are all ok with bottom 6.

Never said he wasn't close to being good enough, but he's not better than 75% of our forwards, IMO. He's also not better than Blake, McLaughlin, and James, from what I've seen. 

How about we take a page from Denver / Michigan and have a Top 9 and a Bottom 3. 

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

For sure. I brought this up last week regarding James and my concern at that time was do the coaches potentially try to push for an extra year in Juniors, so that they aren't forced to make tough decisions with their current roster. My initial thought was the same as yours with Spicer. Is there an arrogance when it comes to local guys who grew up wanting to play for UND and is it easier to push them around. 

I'm doing my best to keep from running down the list of current players that next year I think Spicer will be more valuable then. 

I was thinking about this as well regarding James.  As good of a season that he is having, does he step right in next year in a Top-9 role?

13 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

He was told he was coming in. Coaches pushed him a year.

Not sure who is really at fault but I’m sure it’s somewhere in the middle (hopefully). Can’t stand Covid year coupled with portal.

Yep. Open ended dates and it changes per development. He was likely told at 15 that "we think you'll be ready in 22-23", but then James moved ahead of him, is what I'm guessing.

Looking forward to the end of this portal stuff, too. 

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

For sure. I brought this up last week regarding James and my concern at that time was do the coaches potentially try to push for an extra year in Juniors, so that they aren't forced to make tough decisions with their current roster. My initial thought was the same as yours with Spicer. Is there an arrogance when it comes to local guys who grew up wanting to play for UND and is it easier to push them around. 

I'm doing my best to keep from running down the list of current players that next year I think Spicer will be more valuable then. 

It goes both ways.  Did this player and his family assume that they should get special treatment because they are GF people and that they could push the UND hockey program around?  Kid will get drafted, but that doesn't mean he is ready to play NCAA hockey now.  Again, I trust Berry and his staff.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, as15 said:

I was thinking about this as well regarding James.  As good of a season that he is having, does he step right in next year in a Top-9 role?

I guess I wouldn’t bring him in to play 4th line minutes, so I’d expect him to be top 9. IMO you bring him in to challenge for a top 6 role. Might be more third line but have the flexibility to play top 6. 

Might be an unpopular opinion but there were a couple guys who disappeared from the scoresheet for long stretches last season who are returning top 6 guys. I’d like some more options when this happens. 

5 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

It goes both ways.  Did this player and his family assume that they should get special treatment because they are GF people and that they could push the UND hockey program around?  Kid will get drafted, but that doesn't mean he is ready to play NCAA hockey now.  Again, I trust Berry and his staff.

I did say with my first post on this and I should have stuck to it, that I'll reserve judgement until after the Forward situation shakes out.

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

OhMyGawd .... but he's #12 in scoring in the USHL! 

< relooks at notes > 

No, wait, that's #12 in scoring on his team. Call me when he's dominating the USHL. 

Harsh, but he's 17 and not top six on his current team. 

THIS! The portal is making for some really tough choices, both for the players and the coaches. Coaches believed he wasn't ready. He believes he is, he's making his choice. 

Again, he'd be in a suit this year playing in the NCHC.

Just now, AJS said:

I did say with my first post on this and I should have stuck to it, that I'll reserve judgement until after the Forward situation shakes out. 

From here on out, what would you prefer/like to see? Budy gone, bring in all four forwards? 

22 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

As stoney Sioux would say we didn’t want him

bur hard to miss on local talent 

talked to the boys over at the drum and guess they wanted him to wait a year

That's your pipeline?  Or did you read it here and then make your post...I'm thinking the GOBC is out of step on just about everything lately.  Better hold an emergency meeting over at Judy's and get things figured out, PRONTO!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

From here on out, what would you prefer/like to see? Budy gone, bring in all four forwards? 

Budy and one other "depth / 4th line guy" to the portal. Bring in the four Freshman forwards. Call it a day. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I did. 

Also, tough to compare spicer and McLaughlin/James without actually watching. Those three are also probably playing 3rd/4th line on that loaded NTDP team. Similar to guys like Sanderson, Troy terry, etc. Number don’t always pop from the program. 

Honestly? At 17? Alright, I'll take your word, but I don't think he's a kid who's ready for college hockey this year. I really don't like losing him, but he made his choice now that we told him we didn't want him this year.

I'm not saying you are 100%, but comparing Sanderson/Terry's unmeasurables to Spicer's seems .... well, silly. I get your point, though. My measurement is from what I have seen and what I've read and I don't think Spicer is ready this season. So, we would have had to move someone else to bring him in and maybe get him for three more years? Idk... I think it's the right call to have him not play here next year. From there, Spicer made his decision. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Did you trust Berry on the rizzo and morrow decision

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Disappointing to lose Spicer. I would've brought him in and tried to hold off Strinden for a year if possible.

You would think that there would be a conversation anyway.  Will Montgomery go back to juniors?  Would rather lose him than Spicer.

8 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

If I get to answer:

Budy finds a portal home (as does Calder). 
Bring in McLaughlin, Blake, James, and Strinden.

Run with 16F this year because of the Hain's untested injury in game situations. 

8 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

That's your pipeline?  Or did you read it here and then make your post...I'm thinking the GOBC is out of step on just about everything lately.  Better hold an emergency meeting over at Judy's and get things figured out, PRONTO!

We are At the drum right niw

• Upvote 1

For those ripping on Spicers slow start in the USHL......this season as a 17 year old his PPG rate is higher than Senden's was as a 20 year old in the USHL......and Senden's PPG rate has basically stayed the same through college.  

UND is gonna regret this one.  Spicer is exactly the type of high end potential they need.....not a team full of grinders.