SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

On 1/31/2023 at 5:57 AM, burd said:

That PP% is sick.  

The B1G is finally legitimately very good this year.  

A lot of people saw that coming a few years back with the recruiting trail. Only a matter of time. And it’s getting stronger.

30 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Feels weird to not have a game this weekend. I don't like it. With the PWR as it is, looks like we're watching NE vs. UCONN, Sparty vs. Notre Dame pretty closely.

In NCHC play are you thinking Miami (clearly) and Duluth this weekend? Last weekend's results made me pivot what I think needs to happen from a UND perspective in other conference games. 

1 hour ago, AJS said:

In NCHC play are you thinking Miami (clearly) and Duluth this weekend? Last weekend's results made me pivot what I think needs to happen from a UND perspective in other conference games. 

I mean, I think Western is significantly better than UMD and I'd be surprised if we got anywhere near catching them. I also do not want to play them. I don't think Omaha will stay at 2, whatsoever. I frankly don't think they are a good team. I'd say I'm cheering for WMU to beat UMD with the long game that Omaha will fall to the 4/5 ring. Your thoughts?

14 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I mean, I think Western is significantly better than UMD and I'd be surprised if we got anywhere near catching them. I also do not want to play them. I don't think Omaha will stay at 2, whatsoever. I frankly don't think they are a good team. I'd say I'm cheering for WMU to beat UMD with the long game that Omaha will fall to the 4/5 ring. Your thoughts?

Makes sense, definitely the safest scenario given where everything stands right now. Given the clear-cut Top 4 / Bottom 4 that would put UND in pretty good situation to move up to 5 since I do think Duluth / CC have hard schedules to end the year. I would want Omaha out of any of the top 4 teams currently in the 1st round. That being said, I'm cheering for Duluth > Western this weekend. Going all in on what appears to be a long shot at home ice given where they are now. Duluth takes points from Western; Miami somehow splits with SCSU. Start to tighten up things between the Top and Bottom 4. 

27 minutes ago, AJS said:

Makes sense, definitely the safest scenario given where everything stands right now. Given the clear-cut Top 4 / Bottom 4 that would put UND in pretty good situation to move up to 5 since I do think Duluth / CC have hard schedules to end the year. I would want Omaha out of any of the top 4 teams currently in the 1st round. That being said, I'm cheering for Duluth > Western this weekend. Going all in on what appears to be a long shot at home ice given where they are now. Duluth takes points from Western; Miami somehow splits with SCSU. Start to tighten up things between the Top and Bottom 4. 

Sadly, I don’t know if Miami has much of a chance this weekend at St. Cloud. I know they split with Cloud a few months back but that was in Miami and on the smaller sheet. St. Cloud is very difficult to play against on that Olympic ice. Here’s hoping though that the RedHawks can somehow manage to steel some points this weekend. 

This calendar year Miami has played six games and scored two goals (and one of those was a PPG v UND in garbage time). 

Even terrible offenses should muster two GPG on average. Miami is short ten goals by that standard. 

Here's hoping they find them in St. Cloud. ;) 

PS - Miami's remaining is brutal: SCSU, Omaha, UMD, WMU. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I agree. First, Western is going to be top 4 in the league because they have an easier schedule. Thus, we want UMD and Omaha to lose because those are 2 teams that we could realistically catch for home ice. Second, I can't EVER cheer for Duluth. I know Scott Sandelin and like him, but I can't stand Duluth, their fans or their announcers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJS said:

I agree! We have work to do, but we definitely can get there. I'd like to know, I don't think we have, but have we won a road series in the NCHC? May be a year we have to, to keep our season alive. 

I definitely get where you're coming from. Here's to hoping we come out with our pants on fire next week and get some big points (and the weekend after). Let the chips fall where we may. We kind of control our own destiny, still. 

1 hour ago, skateshattrick said:

I agree. First, Western is going to be top 4 in the league because they have an easier schedule. Thus, we want UMD and Omaha to lose because those are 2 teams that we could realistically catch for home ice. Second, I can't EVER cheer for Duluth. I know Scott Sandelin and like him, but I can't stand Duluth, their fans or their announcers. 

Couldn't agree more.

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

Sadly, I don’t know if Miami has much of a chance this weekend at St. Cloud. I know they split with Cloud a few months back but that was in Miami and on the smaller sheet. St. Cloud is very difficult to play against on that Olympic ice. Here’s hoping though that the RedHawks can somehow manage to steel some points this weekend. 

Call me crazy, but I kind of think I want St. Cloud to win. The NCHC's PWR is not fantastic and we need all the good wins we can get. I know it doesn't help us dramatically either way, but just from that point alone and that Miami is so completely irrelevant, I think I want the norm vs. the outlier. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I don't think Omaha will stay at 2, whatsoever. I frankly don't think they are a good team. I'd say I'm cheering for WMU to beat UMD with the long game that Omaha will fall to the 4/5 ring. Your thoughts?

I agree with this, especially about UNO. 
I wouldn’t mind them and UND finishing 4/5 (order TBD) and playing in first round. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I agree with this, especially about UNO. 
I wouldn’t mind them and UND finishing 4/5 (order TBD) and playing in first round. 

With the way this season has gone, I have no problem with going on the road to play them. If we lose, so be it. I'm still betting on my favorite team, though.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

This calendar year Miami has played six games and scored two goals (and one of those was a PPG v UND in garbage time). 

EPS - Miami's remaining is brutal: SCSU, Omaha, UMD, WMU. 

So, the RedHawks are due. ;)

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

Is it me, or does it seem like we rise most in the PWR when we don’t play? 

Well we can’t do any further damage ourselves when we don’t play and we are a very self destructive team, so that helps.

Other teams have to damage it for us instead… 

2 minutes ago, brianvf said:

But this team has way more talent than that team...which makes this year all the more frustrating.
On paper, this team should have a much better record than what they have.  On paper, that is.

On paper, the best minds in college hockey expected this to be a top 5 team.