SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

Calder had 11 goals on a very offensively challenged team.....same as Luke Johnson in 15-16 yet Calder was basically told to look elsewhere. Meanwhile Budy is around cause he needs a "scholly". Spicer was told we don't need your talent cause at 18 you're not Johnny Toews. If I missed anything let me know.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

One needs a scholly, the other does not.

Is this true, Men's hockey, very few players are on a true full scholarship (100%)? Or was it like that at one time? I would also guess that very few are truly not on any portion of a scholarship. It's not a stretch that Budy's % would be cut if elected to stay next year, but the numbers are still not adding up. To varying degrees, all four Freshman would be getting scholarship $. When I think of guys that wouldn't be getting $ or at least a small portion it would be Feeney / Albrecht (at least the first few years), guys that are truly brought in for depth.

I know you aren't saying this, but redirecting my post a little, if we believe that we'll see 4 Freshman forwards, then they won't be staying at 17 and we will see movement. It just doesn't make sense to keep it at that number.

53 minutes ago, AJS said:

Is this true, Men's hockey, very few players are on a true full scholarship (100%)? Or was it like that at one time? I would also guess that very few are truly not on any portion of a scholarship. It's not a stretch that Budy's % would be cut if elected to stay next year, but the numbers are still not adding up. To varying degrees, all four Freshman would be getting scholarship $. When I think of guys that wouldn't be getting $ or at least a small portion it would be Feeney / Albrecht (at least the first few years), guys that are truly brought in for depth.

I know you aren't saying this, but redirecting my post a little, if we believe that we'll see 4 Freshman forwards, then they won't be staying at 17 and we will see movement. It just doesn't make sense to keep it at that number.

18 scholarships per team divvied out as the team sees fit. Some are definitely getting little to no money athletically (can still get academic scholarships, too). My guess is that Blake and McLaughlin are close to full, James a little less and Striden less than James. Strinden could also be getting large academic scholarships. My guess is that Budy is getting very little money if any at all.

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Calder had 11 goals on a very offensively challenged team.....same as Luke Johnson in 15-16 yet Calder was basically told to look elsewhere. Meanwhile Budy is around cause he needs a "scholly". Spicer was told we don't need your talent cause at 18 you're not Johnny Toews. If I missed anything let me know.

I think the point is that having Budy go to the portal will NOT free up any scholarship money.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

35 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

I think the point is that having Budy go to the portal will NOT free up any scholarship money.  

Yes, that is the point, thank you lol. Calder was also very likely told he was getting little to no scholarship this season. 

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Like @Walsh Hallsaid, regardless if Budy stays or goes has no bearing on why Calder is gone or why Spicer isn't coming in. Spicer is not coming in because he's not better than the four recruits ahead of him, otherwise he'd be here this season. He was told to wait a year and he decided not to. 

• Upvote 3

There's a school of thought that says, bring him in to keep from losing him.  I'm sympathetic to that.  It's easy to trim another lower rung player for the roster spot.

Here's where it gets problematic. Let's say the coaches think he's not physically ready to win a spot in the lineup, because the other guys are just better right now.  (I don't know what they think, and if they think it they could be wrong. But I could see this being the case.)  He spends most of the year in a suit, largely misses a year of development, and could get disgruntled and leave.  If you're the coach and see it this way, of course the best thing is a year of juniors.  In this regard, Spicer could indeed end up being just like Toews.  David Toews. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Like @Walsh Hallsaid, regardless if Budy stays or goes has no bearing on why Calder is gone or why Spicer isn't coming in. Spicer is not coming in because he's not better than the four recruits ahead of him, otherwise he'd be here in this season. He was told to wait a year and he decided not to. 

Well said, and who is ‘right’ doesn’t matter. Both sides made decisions and that is ok. This conversation has taken pages with no known substance. Both sides moved on, maybe we ought to as well…

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, jk said:

There's a school of thought that says, bring him in to keep from losing him.  I'm sympathetic to that.  It's easy to trim another lower rung player for the roster spot.

For most schools looking at the transfer portal that does seem to be the case. My concern with Berry is he appears to be the only coach where this is very difficult / he's unwilling.

7 minutes ago, AJS said:

For most schools looking at the transfer portal that does seem to be the case. My concern with Berry is he appears to be the only coach where this is very difficult / he's unwilling.

Do you have any idea on how Berry has handled the scholarship dollars?   Who's scholarship dollars were cut or eliminated to bring in the (4) Freshman(F)?   How does Berry pushing non-scholarship players to the portal assist in bringing in a scholarship player?  Do you believe Spicer would come in with no scholarship?  

None of this is just a simplistic player-for-player analysis.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Walsh Hall said:

Do you have any idea on how Berry has handled the scholarship dollars?   Who's scholarship dollars were cut or eliminated to bring in the (4) Freshman(F)?   How does Berry pushing non-scholarship players to the portal assist in bringing in a scholarship player?  Do you believe Spicer would come in with no scholarship?  

None of this is just a simplistic player-for-player analysis.  

Good questions. No, I don't know how Berry has handled the scholarship dollars. I keep hearing non-scholarship players, I think we're making assumptions on that part. I don't want to get into this where it turns into player by player comparison as this conversation is already negative. My question would be, why is Motzko and other schools pushing so many low (or non-scholarship) players to the portal? 

Edit:

One more thing. Part of my frustration as it sits on 04/18, is I'm watching what Motzko is doing at Minnesota. Five or Six guys in the portal, to me, he took all available from 5th year to eligible recruits and he is piecing together his perfect roster. Not bloated. Personal opinion is Berry seems to be spinning his wheels at the Forward group after hitting home runs at Goalie / Defense. I want to point out the as it sits on 04/18. We've already been down the path of what I hope happens. 

35 minutes ago, AJS said:

Personal opinion is Berry seems to be spinning his wheels at the Forward group after hitting home runs at Goalie / Defense. 

He got G and D figured out, went to bed, and woke the next day not knowing how to manage a roster. 

Somebody get him to a Holiday Inn Express! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Any of you guys on here got some free time in the next few days? Seems like a lot of great advice on here that Coach Berry could and should be listening to. Maybe someone with a line to schloss could print these posts out so Berry knows he has to make tough decisions and get rid of the awe shucks attitude. There’s a treasure trove of good information on this board that the coach doesn’t have!!

Just now, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Or just play juniors for one year and go to your home town school

Meh. Too easy. 

If you play for USNTDP you must be college ready.
Just ask Grant Mism..., um,
Gavin Hai..., er,
Judd Caul... 

Nevermind. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Sweethockey said:

Probably not the right thread for this. I see that the Force is playing Sioux Falls on Friday. Looking at SF roster, they have Panzer listed from Grand Forks Minnesota….Really?

Gophers use to do that to the potulny boys 

8 minutes ago, Sweethockey said:

Probably not the right thread for this. I see that the Force is playing Sioux Falls on Friday. Looking at SF roster, they have Panzer listed from Grand Forks Minnesota….Really?

He did play for East Grand Fork High ... < shrug > ... maybe they forgot the "East".