SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

1 minute ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Who needs speed and that hockey iq anyway, team full of fourth liners must be Berrys goal , WTF. 

LOL -- Sendo and Hain don't have hockey IQ? Plenty of arguments to be made against keeping these two... this is not one of them.

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

C'mon, can we do this without belittling Hain and Sendo's roles? Both of those two are very important to the program and this year's team, IMO.

This year feels like an "all-in" year. I never thought Spicer was coming this year. Did any of you?

It really, really sucks he's leaving, but other than maybe Strinden, who likely isn't on scholly and changes the equation a bit, would any of you pick Spicer over Blake, McLaughlin or James?

I would take Spicer over 75% of our current forwards.

I guess my biggest problem with this is the perceived lack of communication in some of these circumstances.  Somebody said they believed Spicer's family believed he was coming in this year.  I know you ultimately need to do what is best for your team in the upcoming season,  but I believe you need to know the player's thoughts that are being left behind.  I hope this isn't a circumstance that the coaches took for granted that this local boy is coming here no matter what, so we'll push him off without getting input.  Not sure what happened, but you can't afford to lose talented local recruits.  

• Upvote 3

Just now, siouxweet said:

What the verbal commitment from a 15 who wants to play at his dream school doesn't stick?? Who would have thunk it.  So he takes his toys to go play elsewhere. Sounds about right.

He was told he was coming in. Coaches pushed him a year.

Not sure who is really at fault but I’m sure it’s somewhere in the middle (hopefully). Can’t stand Covid year coupled with portal.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

If the only way to have him in two years is taking him now, then yes, you take him now.

Oh, well that's a different thing than you said. Sorry. I don't disagree with that. I don't think he's better than 75% of our current forwards. Not even close, IMO.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

C'mon, can we do this without belittling Hain and Sendo's roles? Both of those two are very important to the program and this year's team, IMO.

This year feels like an "all-in" year. I never thought Spicer was coming this year. Did any of you?

It really, really sucks he's leaving, but other than maybe Strinden, who likely isn't on scholly and changes the equation a bit, would any of you pick Spicer over Blake, McLaughlin or James?

I hope we can all start here with what I bolded. 

When you talk about "all-in", I would argue not as the Forward group is constructed right now. When Hain / Senden came back, my initial thought was, is Berry doing an internal audit. Hain / Senden stay, who are valuable pieces, but then two go who play a similar roll. So far, we've only seen Calder go. I'm going to withhold judgement until I see how it plays out, but I don't get why this taking so long. What's so frustrating is if he were to go "all-in", I would feel better with brining in 5 Freshman and clip off guys from the bottom of the pack. 

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Oh, well that's a different thing than you said. Sorry. I don't disagree with that. I don't think he's better than 75% of our current forwards. Not even close, IMO.

He's going to be drafted this summer but he's not even close to being good enough to play here next year? We have four forwards returning who had 20 points or more. Four of them.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Who needs speed and that hockey iq anyway, team full of fourth liners must be Berrys goal , WTF. 
if Berry can’t keep local kids from decommiting maybe that’s the reason they couldn’t get Cooley or other blue chips. 

Some days I think that Berry has forgotten more about hockey than I will ever know, than I snap out of it and remember how much I really know from the outside looking in :0

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

I would feel better with brining in 5 Freshman and clip off guys from the bottom of the pack. 

Agreed. 
Also agree with the take that Spicer might be panicking a bit…he would very much benefit from a year in the USHL and be able to contribute right away next season. Instead he’ll get bottom 6 minutes on a different team. 
This feels like the Donovan situation all over again. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tnt said:

I guess my biggest problem with this is the perceived lack of communication in some of these circumstances.  Somebody said they believed Spicer's family believed he was coming in this year.  I know you ultimately need to do what is best for your team in the upcoming season,  but I believe you need to know the player's thoughts that are being left behind.  I hope this isn't a circumstance that the coaches took for granted that this local boy is coming here no matter what, so we'll push him off without getting input.  Not sure what happened, but you can't afford to lose talented local recruits.  

For sure. I brought this up last week regarding James and my concern at that time was do the coaches potentially try to push for an extra year in Juniors, so that they aren't forced to make tough decisions with their current roster. My initial thought was the same as yours with Spicer. Is there an arrogance when it comes to local guys who grew up wanting to play for UND and is it easier to push them around. 

I'm doing my best to keep from running down the list of current players that next year I think Spicer will be more valuable then. 

• Upvote 1