SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

1 minute ago, brianvf said:

Agreed.
Would rather we see 1-2 other players enter the portal before him.
He could have been a 15-20 goal scorer for us next season.

@stoneySIOUX this is me. If it ends up that 3 guys enter and two are way down the stat list, then I don't hate it.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Agreed.
Would rather we see 1-2 other players enter the portal before him.
He could have been a 15-20 goal scorer for us next season.

Really? I'm sorry, I just don't see a player who was going to score that many goals for us in this league. He's got a great shot and he's good in space, but he doesn't consistently create enough. I can understand wanting OTHERS to go before him, but I think he didn't want to be Bottom 6 and maybe not on PP, so he made his own decision. 

10 minutes ago, AJS said:

Two reasons. The biggest is the thought of, what if he's the only guy to the portal. That is why I wrote it as not liking that Calder was the first piece. Second being, I wrote yesterday that I like him as a 3rd line guy on a really good team. He's not a Top 6 guy. I do think he could be an effective 3rd liner. 

Bolded part is fair.

I think he didn't want to be Bottom 6 and maybe not on PP, so he made his own decision. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Really? I'm sorry, I just don't see a player who was going to score that many goals for us in this league. He's got a great shot and he's good in space, but he doesn't consistently create enough. I can understand wanting OTHERS to go before him, but I think he didn't want to be Bottom 6 and maybe not on PP, so he made his own decision.

He scored 11 this year on a team that was more offensively challenged than what I predict next year's will be.
He was also injured so missed 5 games...and I don't think he was fully healed when he came back because he tailed off after that injury.

Even if he was 3rd line, I think he'd be 10+ goals.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, brianvf said:

He scored 11 this year on a team that was more offensively challenged than what I predict next year's will be.
He was also injured so missed 5 games...and I don't think he was fully healed when he came back because he tailed off after that injury.

Even if he was 3rd line, I think he'd be 10+ goals.

I feel ya, man. Again, I don't think he wanted to play 3rd line minutes and potentially not be on the PP. If he doesn't sign, he can go and play top minutes and try to earn a pro contract. I don't think his pro prospects would be greatly improved if he stayed at UND another year.

47 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'm sure coaches told him where he'd be in the pecking order next year, unfortunately.

Just today? I wouldn't think Hain / Senden returning would affect him at all as far as moving him down the pecking order. Those two aren't taking his PP time or moving him down the roster. What would make more sense to me is if James solidified himself coming next year. The decision was more Calder vs James. For that to even become plausible, we need two more true low end guys to leave. 

11 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I feel ya, man. Again, I don't think he wanted to play 3rd line minutes and potentially not be on the PP. If he doesn't sign, he can go and play top minutes and try to earn a pro contract. I don't think his pro prospects would be greatly improved if he stayed at UND another year.

I could think of one team in particular where he’d be guaranteed top six minutes! Lol. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, AJS said:

Just today? I wouldn't think Hain / Senden returning would affect him at all as far as moving him down the pecking order. What would make more sense to me is if James solidified himself coming next year. The decision was more Calder vs James. For that to even become plausible, we need two more true low end guys to leave. 

Even before today, I didn't think he'd be Top 6 next year based on Blake being Top 6.

I'm sad to see Calder go.  He was pretty high on a list of guys I would most want to see with the puck and a chance.  This past year he and the team weren't a great fit, because he's a finisher on a team without setup men.  He didn't have the skating ability to create the space himself, so he was a trigger man without ammo. 

Likewise, I think the skating deficiency (I'm no expert, just how it looked to me) makes him not a great fit for a lower line.  UND needs guys down there who can fly around and disrupt, and that's not his game.  He needs to find space, receive the puck and shoot it.  That's a top 6 role.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Good luck to Calder.  Best of luck sir.

Dylan James should be coming in for sure now.  If one more forward drops then Spicer too perhaps.

We still have a logjam even with Calder leaving:

Super Senior (2) - Senden, Hain
Senior (2) - Caulfield, Albrecht
Junior (4) - Gaber, Jamernik, Ness, Budy
Sophomore (5) - Schmaltz, Costantini, Portz, Kunz, Montgomery
Freshman (3) - Blake, McLaughlin, Strinden

Still at 16F even with Calder entering the portal.  Unless we're planning on running with 16/17F for this upcoming year or more players from above enter the portal.
Or if a different freshman is coming in rather than Strinden.

2 minutes ago, crb1 said:

TBH and it’s just my opinion and nothing against the player but I would have rather seen #9 go than Calder. 

1 goal in 22 games isn't ideal.  Hoped for a bit of a progression from the previous year where he had 4g in 28 games.

35 minutes ago, brianvf said:

We still have a logjam even with Calder leaving:

Super Senior (2) - Senden, Hain
Senior (2) - Caulfield, Albrecht
Junior (4) - Gaber, Jamernik, Ness, Budy
Sophomore (5) - Schmaltz, Costantini, Portz, Kunz, Montgomery
Freshman (3) - Blake, McLaughlin, Strinden

Still at 16F even with Calder entering the portal.  Unless we're planning on running with 16/17F for this upcoming year or more players from above enter the portal.
Or if a different freshman is coming in rather than Strinden.

Budy will be a Senior next year.

35 minutes ago, crb1 said:

TBH and it’s just my opinion and nothing against the player but I would have rather seen #9 go than Calder. 

I thought Budy to the portal was a forgone conclusion, but starting to get some doubts. Why would he not be there by now?

Regarding Calder: easy come, easy go. We've seen quite a few transfers re-enter the portal after one year. Jandric's brother, Bo Hanson, Slava Demin, Dylan St. Cyr, Grant Loven, and these are just off the top of my head. Once you cross a line, it's less daunting to do it again, and considering how much a majority of hockey players move, travel and change teams growing up, it's not a big deal for them. Best of luck to him.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Ya know, I believe Montgomery has another year of juniors eligibility.  Would it be the worst thing for him to head back to the USHL and get more game action than what he would get next season in Grand Forks?  

It seems harsh having him start college because of a need after Weatherby left, but in the end it would give him a chance to get in the lineup more consistently down the road.  It’s been done before with guys like Quinn Fylling, Jeff McLean and Kevin McKinnon, the last two came back as huge impact players.  There definitely are some hard decisions to be made, but that’s what it takes to be successful in a big time program.

34 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Ya know, I believe Montgomery has another year of juniors eligibility.  Would it be the worst thing for him to head back to the USHL and get more game action than what he would get next season in Grand Forks?  

…and the question is would he head back to the USHL, or the BCHL, where he was headed before Weatherby left.