SiouxSports.com Forum

CC @ UND - NCHC Quarters - Game 1, Friday

stoneySIOUX

Who's setting up the GoFundMe to buy whistles for last night's officials?

Apparently they don't have them. Proof? 

• 28 was cross-checked in the low back violently in the first in front of the net
  • 20 was nearly decapitated going to the student section boards in the third
  • 17 was at minimum tripped (stick hit skate boot) late in the third

No whistles on any of those, and those were just the egregious ones. 

Now, before you say "let 'em play" and "I don't want officials deciding the game" ... an official that does NOT make a call can have just as much affect on a game as one who does make a call. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

A playoff win is a playoff win and that's all that really matters. I thought that we struggled a little bit offensively tonight for two reasons 1) Juggled all the lines (had to with Gaber back and Ford out) and that caused some continuity issues throughout and 2) CC played with good pace and packed it in a bit. 

That was a defensive effort that wins titles. Hard on pucks all game and kept CC on the outside for a full 60. I honestly can't remember one true Grade A and Driz was a steady Eddy tonight once again. 

Sanderson is so good. So many little things he does that just give me a chuckle when I think of how frickin young he is. Special player and he's got plenty of magic left down the stretch. He's already a UND legend in my eyes and I think he could be one of the best all time after this run. 

Gaber looked great and he's our spark plug. Didn't look like he'd missed a beat. 

I think we get a better offensive effort tomorrow and put away CC and skate to STP. 

Good analysis Stoney. 

I think given CC’s deficiencies, they put together about as good of a road game as one could expect. They didn’t have much of any sustained o zone pressure and very few grade A chances but they worked their tails off and did a pretty good job of limiting UND’s offensive zone chances.

I expect the Tigers to leave it out there on the ice tonight for themselves and for their coaches but in the end UND should prevail.

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Puck possession matters: Not having Ford last night shows it because draws were almost even (31-28 UND). Ford wins a crazy fraction and when he does that possession and you dictate from that point, and the other side is left to chase and try to regain.

Here's hoping Ford is off the rack and back at full speed tonight. I feel much better when he's taking draws, especially in the defensive zone. 

CC's goal came directly off a lost faceoff in the UND D zone.

6 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

CC's goal came directly off a lost faceoff in the UND D zone.

I think we won the draw but our D man turned the puck over when he had a chance to chip it out of the zone but I could be mistaken, that was my recollection of it. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, N of GF said:

Look at this guy! He doesn't even realize that Costantini and Caggiula both play the same game of hockey.

Jeezes. I was just trying to start a civil conversation. I see a parallel between the two. They both played a small roll in the frosh year, but you can see the flashes where they get it, but just need time to catch up. I didn't say they play the "same game".

Can any of you have a fucking conversation without trying to prove you are more hockey bro than everyone.

Who wants to swing their dick next?

Dude, this is supposed to be a civil conversation. I am not sure I'd classify Costantini as playing a minor role. He's sixth on the team in scoring (7g-13--20pts).

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Who's setting up the GoFundMe to buy whistles for last night's officials?

Apparently they don't have them. Proof? 

• 28 was cross-checked in the low back violently in the first in front of the net
  • 20 was nearly decapitated going to the student section boards in the third
  • 17 was at minimum tripped (stick hit skate boot) late in the third

No whistles on any of those, and those were just the egregious ones. 

Now, before you say "let 'em play" and "I don't want officials deciding the game" ... an official that does NOT make a call can have just as much affect on a game as one who does make a call. 

I'm always on the side of "just let them play" if its consistent.  When I was officiating that was the bar I tried to set.  If my partner called something a bit on the "ticky tack" side then that was the precedent and I would try and call the game to that standard.

I was perfectly fine with Walsh/Schmitt letting a lot of that stuff go against a team like CC because they aren't going to generate stuff against us 5 on 5, and in the world of hockey officiating we all know the marbles need to "even up" in the long run.  The only chance CC had to score in the third was a dumb mistake on our end or a power play, and the amount of stuff that they let go there was no way they could call a marginal one on UND.   

Now, if we're playing Duluth, we've got to have those power plays or we aren't going to generate anything.  

6 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Must have had some of that potato salad I was keeping in my car’s back window last July.

Hugo's and sushi should never be used in the same sentence 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, LuvHockey said:

At least not the same thing that caused it! For a looooong time.

Once got food poisoning right before boarding a plane for a 12-hour flight. Spent nearly the entire flight in the bathroom. Pretty lousy experience. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

Once got food poisoning right before boarding a plane for a 12-hour flight. Spent nearly the entire flight in the bathroom. Pretty lousy experience. 

Mine was ordering a "chinese" dish in rural ND in a town of less than 3000 without one Asain American in the community.