SiouxSports.com Forum

CC @ UND - NCHC Quarters - Game 1, Friday

stoneySIOUX

7 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I think something that gets overlooked by our fanbase is how lucky we've been in the faceoff circle.  Our best draw guy is out last night and we still end up slightly ahead in that category going 31-28.

Maybe puck possession wasn't the best thing last night though since both teams weren't great when they did have possession. 

Yes, lucky as a fan base, but I would drill down even further to say we are lucky to have Jason Ulmer, as our proficiency in the face off circle isn’t by accident.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Godsmack said:

I think we won the draw but our D man turned the puck over when he had a chance to chip it out of the zone but I could be mistaken, that was my recollection of it. 

Yep. Jandric skated it up, but didn't chip it past blue.

6 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Who's setting up the GoFundMe to buy whistles for last night's officials?

Apparently they don't have them. Proof? 

• 28 was cross-checked in the low back violently in the first in front of the net
  • 20 was nearly decapitated going to the student section boards in the third
  • 17 was at minimum tripped (stick hit skate boot) late in the third

No whistles on any of those, and those were just the egregious ones. 

Now, before you say "let 'em play" and "I don't want officials deciding the game" ... an official that does NOT make a call can have just as much affect on a game as one who does make a call. 

I thought the Gaber non call was a good non call. I thought the officials were consistent for both teams and imo that’s all you can ask for.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, N of GF said:

Thanks for the reply, farce. As I said, I'm no great hockey mind, but the flashes of excellence we see from Costantini remind me of early UND Caggiula. Certainly not always great, and not even always good, but at least one time per game it shows up. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm going to keep my eye on him.

Wouldn’t it be neat if Constantini caught fire like Cagulia did in the 2016 NCAA tourney. Gaber really reminds me of Duncan, even occupies the same office. Maybe his Junior or senior they’ll be chanting Hobey Baker like they did when Duncan scored goals his hobey year. Didn’t hurt Duncan that he had pretty fair line mates to set him up.

1 hour ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

Wouldn’t it be neat if Constantini caught fire like Cagulia did in the 2016 NCAA tourney. Gaber really reminds me of Duncan, even occupies the same office. Maybe his Junior or senior they’ll be chanting Hobey Baker like they did when Duncan scored goals his hobey year. Didn’t hurt Duncan that he had pretty fair line mates to set him up.

Duncs acceptance speech one of 3 best in the country. Not sure if I was one of the 3 best on my team. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

Duncs acceptance speech one of 3 best in the country. Not sure if I was one of the 3 best on my team. 

11 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

A class act for sure

The best part of a lost weekend in St Louis, was the genuine surprise on his face when they announced his name.   Very humble guy.

Well that, and the enormous roar from a throng of Sioux fans there to cheer him on.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

A class act for sure

My youngest son always said Duncs was his favorite player.  Sent an email to his team over in Switzerland (after he left UND) and my son got a note and an autographed Duncan hockey card a couple weeks later.  Class act is right.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

The best part of a lost weekend in St Louis, was the genuine surprise on his face when they announced his name.   Very humble guy.

Well that, and the enormous roar from a throng of Sioux fans there to cheer him on.  

I was lucky enough to be there covering the Four for the Dakota Student back in the day and was at his presser when he won it. He was just blown away. Such a great dude. So humble and genuine. 

Funniest part... They brought the Hobey in to put it on the table he was sitting at and this trophy is kind of a monster. The guy working the presser went to lift it on the table, stumbled back, nearly dropping it, but caught his balance. The audible, collective gasp in the room was so funny and Duncs' face was frickin priceless. He goes "nice catch" to the guy and we all laughed our butts off. I'll never forget that. Dude almost dropped the Hobey in front of everyone hahaha.

• Upvote 1