SiouxSports.com Forum

CC @ UND - NCHC Quarters - Game 1, Friday

stoneySIOUX

1 hour ago, farce poobah said:

I think it’s possible.  He’s a 5th rounder by Buffalo, who always needs talent, BUT he’s not the next top line scoring machine.  I love his game and two stats stand out: one minor penalty all season, and leads forwards in plus minus.  Those tell me he has good hockey sense, doesnt get caught out of position, and plays well with his teammates.  

Thanks for the reply, farce. As I said, I'm no great hockey mind, but the flashes of excellence we see from Costantini remind me of early UND Caggiula. Certainly not always great, and not even always good, but at least one time per game it shows up. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm going to keep my eye on him.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, N of GF said:

Thanks for the reply, farce. As I said, I'm no great hockey mind, but the flashes of excellence we see from Costantini remind me of early UND Caggiula. Certainly not always great, and not even always good, but at least one time per game it shows up. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm going to keep my eye on him.

Costantini's game isn't similar to Caggiula's at all.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, N of GF said:

Intermission topic: I'm certainly no hockey expert, I don't pretend to be able to evaluate future talent. Question; will we see Costantini in the green and white for four years? He looks to me like he could be our next Caggiula? Am I off base there?

Absolutely LOVED his game tonight. I think he'll be a four-year guy and be an absolute beast his senior year. He's not our next Cag because that's Gaber ;)

3 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

Costantini's game isn't similar to Caggiula's at all.

Look at this guy! He doesn't even realize that Costantini and Caggiula both play the same game of hockey.

Jeezes. I was just trying to start a civil conversation. I see a parallel between the two. They both played a small roll in the frosh year, but you can see the flashes where they get it, but just need time to catch up. I didn't say they play the "same game".

Can any of you have a fucking conversation without trying to prove you are more hockey bro than everyone.

Who wants to swing their dick next?

• Downvote 2

A playoff win is a playoff win and that's all that really matters. I thought that we struggled a little bit offensively tonight for two reasons 1) Juggled all the lines (had to with Gaber back and Ford out) and that caused some continuity issues throughout and 2) CC played with good pace and packed it in a bit. 

That was a defensive effort that wins titles. Hard on pucks all game and kept CC on the outside for a full 60. I honestly can't remember one true Grade A and Driz was a steady Eddy tonight once again. 

Sanderson is so good. So many little things he does that just give me a chuckle when I think of how frickin young he is. Special player and he's got plenty of magic left down the stretch. He's already a UND legend in my eyes and I think he could be one of the best all time after this run. 

Gaber looked great and he's our spark plug. Didn't look like he'd missed a beat. 

I think we get a better offensive effort tomorrow and put away CC and skate to STP. 

• Upvote 3

I'm not sure how you could best describe that game.  CC, I believe,  had two quality scoring chances all evening and scored on one of them.  UND just not in sync, and very early into the game both teams had 5 guys clogging up the neutral zone making it an ugly evening.

I was waiting the entire third period for CC to tie the game up, but UND didn't make a costly mistake and the game ends 2-1.

• Upvote 1

Just now, N of GF said:

Look at this guy! He doesn't even realize that Costantini and Caggiula both play the same game of hockey.

Jeezes. I was just trying to start a civil conversation. I see a parallel between the two. They both played a small roll in the frosh year, but you can see the flashes where they get it, but just need time to catch up. I didn't say they play the "same game".

Can any of you have a fucking conversation without trying to prove you are more hockey bro than everyone.

Who wants to swing their dick next?

Lol chill man, we won.

He's just saying he doesn't think Cag and Costo have similar playing styles and they really don't. Cag was is more of a playmaker, shifty player. Costo is north and south and does the right small things to succeed. I can see what you're saying in general, though. I expect him to keep getting better and his defensive game and effort stand out most to me. He'll be top 6 big time for us his last two seasons. He'd have to make a pretty big jump statistically to leave early. I think he's super talented but will likely never have the numbers Cag did.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I'm not sure how you could best describe that game.  CC, I believe,  had two quality scoring chances all evening and scored on one of them.  UND just not in sync, and very early into the game both teams had 5 guys clogging up the neutral zone making it an ugly evening.

I was waiting the entire third period for CC to tie the game up, but UND didn't make a costly mistake and the game ends 2-1.

Yep, well said. Did our job very well defensively and did just enough on two very special plays by two very special players. We'll get more offense tomorrow and get the job done, IMO.

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Lol chill man, we won.

He's just saying he doesn't think Cag and Costo have similar playing styles and they really don't. Cag was is more of a playmaker, shifty player. Costo is north and south and does the right small things to succeed. I can see what you're saying in general, though. I expect him to keep getting better and his defensive game and effort stand out most to me. He'll be top 6 big time for us his last two seasons. He'd have to make a pretty big jump statistically to leave early. I think he's super talented but will likely never have the numbers Cag did.

Cag's also had quite a nasty side to him. Spent a decent amount of time in the penalty box and I seem to remember him as a freshman blowing guys up routinely. Frozen Faceoff against Miami he destroyed Sean Kuraly. Not Costantini's style at all. The only similarity I see is they can both put the puck in the net. Hopefully he develops as well as Drake did. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, SiouxBoys said:

Cag's also had quite a nasty side to him. Spent a decent amount of time in the penalty box and I seem to remember him as a freshman blowing guys up routinely. Frozen Faceoff against Miami he destroyed Sean Kuraly. Not Costantini's style at all. The only similarity I see is they can both put the puck in the net. Hopefully he develops as well as Drake did. 

Totally agree. Cag was a psychopath in the best way possible haha. Yep, Costo has shown a knack for burying that makes me excited to see what he becomes.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Lol chill man, we won.

I hear you, stoney. I never said they "played the same game." I was referring to their potential... the player Costantini could become. In Cagguilas frosh year, did any of us know what he would become? No, not truly. From what I see, Costantini has that much upside.

14 minutes ago, N of GF said:

I hear you, stoney. I never said they "played the same game." I was referring to their potential... the player Costantini could become. In Cagguilas frosh year, did any of us know what he would become? No, not truly. From what I see, Costantini has that much upside.

Definitely think Costo has a lot of upside. I'll say it's a different kind of upside. Cag is just more of a flashy, playmaker type while Costo is more of a right place, right time kind of dude. Gonna be fun to watch him develop. 

39 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

A playoff win is a playoff win and that's all that really matters. I thought that we struggled a little bit offensively tonight for two reasons 1) Juggled all the lines (had to with Gaber back and Ford out) and that caused some continuity issues throughout and 2) CC played with good pace and packed it in a bit. 

That was a defensive effort that wins titles. Hard on pucks all game and kept CC on the outside for a full 60. I honestly can't remember one true Grade A and Driz was a steady Eddy tonight once again. 

Sanderson is so good. So many little things he does that just give me a chuckle when I think of how frickin young he is. Special player and he's got plenty of magic left down the stretch. He's already a UND legend in my eyes and I think he could be one of the best all time after this run. 

Gaber looked great and he's our spark plug. Didn't look like he'd missed a beat. 

I think we get a better offensive effort tomorrow and put away CC and skate to STP. 

Well said, and agreed on your points.
I think CC had one Grade A chance, and they scored on it.
Defense did a great job limiting their chances, for sure.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Agree.   I would also like to see Time on Ice stats for UND tonight, because it seemed like even playing time across all four lines and all three D pairs.  (Special teams excepted of course but there was very little of that.)  Playoffs are also a game of attrition and fatigue, and I like how fresh our top guys are going into tomorrow.  And knock-on-wood if we win tomorrow, that saves a game that would be nice not to play.

18 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Definitely think Costo has a lot of upside. I'll say it's a different kind of upside. Cag is just more of a flashy, playmaker type while Costo is more of a right place, right time kind of dude. Gonna be fun to watch him develop. 

yep. that's about all i was trying to say. I'll Go Find Youtube now, as Oxbow suggested I should.

6 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

I assume the break up of the Ness- Poirtz - Albrecht line has been discussed?   I have heard Albrecht pronounced as All bright....  carry on.

From what I could tell pregame in Berry's interview with TH Kunz was a healthy scratch. Insert Montgomery in 4th line. Portz moves up a line. Thought both guys played well. Portz has 4 year upside.

Sanderson was the best player on the ice. Didn't miss a beat during his absence with his injury.

Kleven was my 2nd star. Played physical yet smart. Would have liked to have had the radar gun on his goal.

My 3rd star and I'll agree with @N of GF was Caggiula..........I mean Constantini. (I get those two confused) Played a very solid 200 foot game. 

Gaber was good as well. Just has a non stop motor. He'll score tonight.

Two guys that will be much better tonight....Moore and Caulfield. Both had been playing extremely well the last few weeks.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think something that gets overlooked by our fanbase is how lucky we've been in the faceoff circle.  Our best draw guy is out last night and we still end up slightly ahead in that category going 31-28.

Maybe puck possession wasn't the best thing last night though since both teams weren't great when they did have possession. 

CC played like their season was on the line last night. Hard on every single puck and gave UND zero time and space.  They played their best possible game and still couldn't pull it out.  My guess is with CC facing the prospect of winning 2 straight games in REA, UND scores early and wins going away by a score of 5-1.

Puck possession matters: Not having Ford last night shows it because draws were almost even (31-28 UND). Ford wins a crazy fraction and when he does that possession and you dictate from that point, and the other side is left to chase and try to regain.

Here's hoping Ford is off the rack and back at full speed tonight. I feel much better when he's taking draws, especially in the defensive zone.