SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-2023 Season

SWSiouxMN

Lack of height is going to be downfall this year.  NDSU is loaded with height this year and I think they jumped ahead us.  Kacie didnt look like she was looking for her shot. She needs to be the focal point of our offense.   Hurst had a good game on the offensive end, but is going to be a big liability on the defensive side.  She looked winded and saved her energy for the offensive side only.  I looked at the Northern State roster and they beat us with kids almost all from South Dakota and a few Minnesota kids.  We scour the U.S to give out scholarships and the ones in our backyard are forgotten.   I was looking forward to the womens season but last nights game was not even fun to watch.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewUndFan said:

Lack of height is going to be downfall this year.  NDSU is loaded with height this year and I think they jumped ahead us.  Kacie didnt look like she was looking for her shot. She needs to be the focal point of our offense.   Hurst had a good game on the offensive end, but is going to be a big liability on the defensive side.  She looked winded and saved her energy for the offensive side only.  I looked at the Northern State roster and they beat us with kids almost all from South Dakota and a few Minnesota kids.  We scour the U.S to give out scholarships and the ones in our backyard are forgotten.   I was looking forward to the womens season but last nights game was not even fun to watch.  

I would argue that kids from SD would rather go play at NSU than UND.... Plus UND is basically recruiting Michigan and that's it.. for the most part.

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

There has to be some "moneyball" stats wonk out there that has the stat that if you are X inches shorter than the other team you must shoot at least Y% from three to win. 

I'll go out on a limb: It's not 20% (3 of 15). 

Kacie was 0-3 in 33 minutes.

Maggie played 14 minutes and was 0-4.

Aren't those 2 arguably the team's two best outside threats??

The point is why are we forced to play small? Our team is unbalanced height wise and historically have had too many turnovers and not shot well from the three.

now, I like to think our coaches know what they are doing. Don’t give them the excuse that someone left. Every team has that. We have to adapt.

I  have said I thought we overachieved last year. Hopefully we can again. 

To shoot the three you still need to have inside game and without that it becomes easier to defend against the three. We don’t have more than couple of threats to shoot the three on floor at a time.  If we have injuries to all tall players this does become immediate concern fort how long are they injured and how much playing time will they get. This is not how I thought the season would begin. Mallory and staff are going to need to figure how they are going to develop inside game in next few games. Without inside game we loose our advantages of quick and offensive guards because we can’t control the game on inside without help from these guards to help defend and rebound. I am still optimistic we can do this if our tall inside players are healthy and can play

I don't think it was our tall girls that were hurt.  I just don't think they are ready or good enough to play now.  It was two guards that were sitting on the bench in street clothes.  The tall girls were dressed and looked ready to play.  Without a inside game it doesn't free our guards for open 3 point shots.  With a pass inside and then out opens them up for a better shot.   

As far as SD girls wanting to play here wasn't my point.  My point was that sometimes looking in your own back yard for players isnt a bad thing.  Going to metro areas to find "better" players because they are from bigger cities doesn't mean they have better talent.   Proven last night from a D2 team beating us.  

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Kacie was 0-3 in 33 minutes.

Maggie played 14 minutes and was 0-4.

Aren't those 2 arguably the team's two best outside threats??

Now this is D3, but Bieniewicz shot 41% from 3 last year and didn't play last night, so I would expect her to be in the mix for an outside threat

Getting our inside game will certainly help with the 3 ball, given an inside out potential and more defensive focus down low.  However, faster ball movement needs to be a focus if you want open looks outside.  When each player stops and holds it, it is way too easy for the defense to reset.  The ball stopped at the point against northern and never made the weak side swing.  Not a recipe for open looks at 3.  Fix that and kick outside off penetration and we will get some of those looks.  Whether we can bury them is another open question at this point.  Hurst may be able to generate some looks driving as she will draw some help side.  She will be tough to stop one on one.  She is strong, handles the ball well, and creates her own space to finish.  Will be interesting to see how she handles more size but she was impressive in her debut…

4 hours ago, Hans8891 said:

Getting our inside game will certainly help with the 3 ball, given an inside out potential and more defensive focus down low.  However, faster ball movement needs to be a focus if you want open looks outside.  When each player stops and holds it, it is way too easy for the defense to reset.  The ball stopped at the point against northern and never made the weak side swing.  Not a recipe for open looks at 3.  Fix that and kick outside off penetration and we will get some of those looks.  Whether we can bury them is another open question at this point.  Hurst may be able to generate some looks driving as she will draw some help side.  She will be tough to stop one on one.  She is strong, handles the ball well, and creates her own space to finish.  Will be interesting to see how she handles more size but she was impressive in her debut…

There are many ways to get an open three and you hit on both things that UND needs to do.   They can't be going 3-15 from outside.  Otherwise, teams are just going to sit in a zone and go:  We dare you to shoot it from outside. 

I will be very interested to see how they respond on Monday against Detroit Mercy and on Friday against Wyoming at home.  If they can get 2 wins and get off to a great start in the non-conference season, then this is something we look back on and chuckle.  

I can't wait to watch Hurst on Monday. 

Bernhard showed that she could become a good coach last year but If I had complaint or criticism is she has hard time playing young players and I believe she has not a lot patience with mistakes these players make. I look at SDSU where coach Johnson plays his talented freshmen each year and by the end of year they become factor for them giving them quality time. This years recruiting class having high end talent so i am hoping we see a change in her coaching. McCarthy didn’t get alot of playing time last year when she was called upon she showed potential of being good player and now this year with loss of Lane she is behind on playing and learning time. I see this happening again with other players again this coming year.  We may not have these players for there full college careers so faster you develop them and getting them playing them quality time the better it is and maybe keeping them. I agree with other people on the board we are short on number of taller players especially experienced players. I am still looking forward to the season but am concerned if our taller players are not ready to play at this level then we should have been looking to the portal to shore up this weakness.

9 hours ago, ND-fan said:

Bernhard showed that she could become a good coach last year but If I had complaint or criticism is she has hard time playing young players and I believe she has not a lot patience with mistakes these players make. I look at SDSU where coach Johnson plays his talented freshmen each year and by the end of year they become factor for them giving them quality time. This years recruiting class having high end talent so i am hoping we see a change in her coaching. McCarthy didn’t get alot of playing time last year when she was called upon she showed potential of being good player and now this year with loss of Lane she is behind on playing and learning time. I see this happening again with other players again this coming year.  We may not have these players for there full college careers so faster you develop them and getting them playing them quality time the better it is and maybe keeping them. I agree with other people on the board we are short on number of taller players especially experienced players. I am still looking forward to the season but am concerned if our taller players are not ready to play at this level then we should have been looking to the portal to shore up this weakness.

I also agree with this.  I dont see why she is playing Gordon so much.  To me she doesnt bring as much potential as our talented freshman.  Let them play and make mistakes.  Gordon missed all of last year and will be gone next year.  I dont see that she is as talented as the freshman we have.  I thought McCarthy had some potential last year as well but just never got a chance.