SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-2023 Season

SWSiouxMN

I'm no BB much less WBB follower, but I know something worth acknowledging when I see it:

You threw a shutout, a zero, the goose egg, at WIU for a whole quarter of a game! Nice. That's team defense.

And that was after giving up just 11 in the first. 

Eleven points in a half ... WIU got ... scrooged! 

Thoughts after the two games

-The Defense is legit, they are making it very hard for teams to score.  They held UST to 29% shooting and WIU to 23% shooting.   They are also continuing to turn teams over.  This is helping to negate their turnovers that they might have on the other end.  The turnover battles have been pretty even on both nights. It didn't used to be like that, so credit the staff for working hard with these girls to ramp up their defense.  Won the rebounding battle both nights, hope they can keep that part up.

-UND was dominate in the 2nd quarter both nights.  Against UST, it was their offense.  Against WIU, it was their defense.  

-Kacie is a very strong contender to win Summit League Player of the Year. She is putting up big numbers and last night 25-8-5.  Only played 30 and 32 minutes in those games.  Keep saving those minutes.

-The offense was very good against UST and was okay against WIU, the WIU game there were some bunnies missed that really could have buried this game early.

-3 point shooting has looked good and not so good, needs to get more consistent.

-Orth was solid in both games

-Hurst had her best two games in a UND uniform, steps in the right direction.  I would love to see her bang more down low with her strength and size.  Wonder if she gets more minutes if Hoskin is going to be out with an injury.  Her growth in the conference season is going to go a long way in UND reaching their ceiling this year.  

Now the tests for the next two weeks: In Fargo, In Verm, and In Brookings.   Dakota School are all 2-0 (3 games are in progress but they are going to win) in conference.  

If they want to get to the top of the conference?  Steal 1 or 2 of these on the road.  

This opening week for the Dakota schools pretty much held  serve and only close game was SDSU vs ORU. I was impressed with ORU after SDSU game then they played USD and this was the team I had seen in the preseason so what team is closer to their level of play. It will be interesting  see Dakota schools  how will they fair as they go on the road in the Summit conference. Und continues to look good but I still have reservations how they will fair as the season advances and reason is how they will match up against Sdsu and Oru  which have tall front courts and quick guards. The real positive right now I think they are playing the best defense in the conference roight now.  Defense wins championships and that is my hope for this team. I also think this break will be good for the team gives them break to heal pre conference season bumps and bruises and still will have number days practice for the game next week.

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Big game today in Fargo.

Chance to make a big statement with a win.

Time to end the streak

Will be an uphill battle today but a win could draw them a ton of fan support in the back half of this season.  After last night UND basketball fans are looking for something.  

1 hour ago, homer said:

Will be an uphill battle today but a win could draw them a ton of fan support in the back half of this season.  After last night UND basketball fans are looking for something.  

They can play well enough defensively but the question will be can they get the secondary scoring behind Kacie today.  If they can get that, they have a great chance to win.