SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-2023 Season

SWSiouxMN

33 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

some people say that we don't play nsic schools bc we would lose........why aren't these two game bemidji and moorhead state????????/

Because if you're going to play a Non D1 you want it to be against a team that has close to 0% chance of beating you.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2022/7/27/womens-volleyball-und-volleyball-releases-full-schedule.aspx

but why is the only non d1 opponent an exh against moorhead...why/how can the volleyball team pull it off but bbal can't

Wonder if it is cheaper to do the MIAC/WIAC/NAIA/DAC schools than branch out to the NSIC schools when it comes to BB.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2022/7/27/womens-volleyball-und-volleyball-releases-full-schedule.aspx

but why is the only non d1 opponent an exh against moorhead...why/how can the volleyball team pull it off but bbal can't

It's not that they can't pull it off... It makes no sense for SD/ND schools to play the regional D2 schools... Why doesn't USD/SDSU play Northern or Augie? By playing those games you have a higher chance of losing and that isn't good for anyone, especially a team coming off one of their worst years ever. If you are going to play a NON D1, you play NAIA's or D3's because you schedule those games to get wins, not to sweat it out vs one of the top 50 D2 schools.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SD UND said:

It's not that they can't pull it off... It makes no sense for SD/ND schools to play the regional D2 schools... Why doesn't USD/SDSU play Northern or Augie? By playing those games you have a higher chance of losing and that isn't good for anyone, especially a team coming off one of their worst years ever. If you are going to play a NON D1, you play NAIA's or D3's because you schedule those games to get wins, not to sweat it out vs one of the top 50 D2 schools.

Yep, I remember when Saul was at NDSU they played a couple of Moorhead State's better teams and needed some help from the men in stripes to get through one of the games and might have lost the other and I heard Saul told the A.D. not to schedule them any more.

14 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Exhibition games are meant to work on a few things and get some of the end of the bench guys some extra minutes.
They are making sure that happens by scheduling how they are.

I’m sure it’s a lot easier on the budget to pay a North Central Presentation (insert here). As opposed to a Northern Sun team. Just like if Kentucky brings in a Mountain West team- that MWC team would probably demand more than UND could. Or even if Kentucky wanted to bring in a DII that Dll may not be able to get as much as UND could.

Also, because the NSIC has so many teams don’t start playing conference games by mid Nov.? They too want to have some non-conf games against the Presentation(s) and Crown Colleges of the world before fully diving in… so it might even be a little schedule related when it comes down to it.

6 minutes ago, the green team said:

I’m sure it’s a lot easier on the budget to pay a North Central Presentation (insert here). As opposed to a Northern Sun team. Just like if Kentucky brings in a Mountain West team- that MWC team would probably demand more than UND could. Or even if Kentucky wanted to bring in a DII that Dll may not be able to get as much as UND could.

Also, because the NSIC has so many teams don’t start playing conference games by mid Nov.? They too want to have some non-conf games against the Presentation(s) and Crown Colleges of the world before fully diving in… so it might even be a little schedule related when it comes down to it.

or go to a P5 school to get a bigger payday (U of M usually schedules 1 NSIC school as an exhibition)

Remember when we went to Minot state and lost

Don’t know who scheduled that game

the refs called everything a foul

i think Minot shot 50 free throws

i remember  seeing some of those refs calling high school games that year ,

think we were d2 then and they hadn’t moved up 

3 minutes ago, Kab said:

Remember when we went to Minot state and lost

Don’t know who scheduled that game

the refs called everything a foul

i think Minot shot 50 free throws

i remember  seeing some of those refs calling high school games that year ,

think we were d2 then and they hadn’t moved up 

Must have been in 2001 (I looked it up in the media guide)

2 hours ago, SD UND said:

Makes no sense for gophers to play us does it 

24 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i still remember "the shot"

und v mayville i think (so electric i can't remember)...but und's guard from minny banked in a 35 footer to beat em the buzzer....

jones jumping up and down like they won a championship or something.........

Yup remember that

big time d-1 basketball shot he said in radio interview after

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Makes no sense for gophers to play us does it 

Not @UND. 

I'm just pointing out that UND will probably never play a non league or exhibition against MSUM, Bemidji, Northern, Minot, Mary, Crookston, or any other NSIC team again..

So you might as well get over that or you are just going to be whining about the same thing every year.

19 minutes ago, SD UND said:

Not @UND. 

I'm just pointing out that UND will probably never play a non league or exhibition against MSUM, Bemidji, Northern, Minot, Mary, Crookston, or any other NSIC team again..

So you might as well get over that or you are just going to be whining about the same thing every year.

maybe dumb for und to go to minot that year but let's put this nsic>summit crap to rest and start scheduling them at home....

would love to see bemidji come here for basketball...mens and womens.....old fashioned double header anyone?

2 hours ago, SD UND said:

Not @UND. 

I’m not whining? Someone else was.  I just said it’s the equivalent of gophers and und

or Nebraska football and und football. 

On 8/16/2022 at 1:27 PM, SWSiouxMN said:

North Dakota Tournament Nov 26th-27th

UND plays Cal State Fullerton on Nov 27th

Not sure who they are going to play on the 26th. 

Correction, Nov 25th-27th

UND will play Utah Tech in the first game on Nov 25th, Utah Tech will play Cal State Fullerton on the 26th.

UND will head out to Utah and California next year to complete the contract, per the D1docket.

Just a 3 team MTE. 

Must be getting close to the full schedule. Maybe one more game left out there?

On 7/31/2022 at 2:38 PM, UND Fan said:

I think decisions are still being made. He might be here for the second semester. 

It appears Ndoukou will join the team for the second semester (then redshirt, I assume).  Eligibility issues have now been addressed but not soon enough for this fall. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UND Fan said:

It appears Ndoukou will join the team for the second semester (then redshirt, I assume).  Eligibility issues have now been addressed but not soon enough for this fall. 

Good to know that they were able to figure something out so he can join the team.  It would make the most sense to get him to redshirt and not try and play just the conference schedule.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

That's a pretty good non-conference home schedule.

Two teams that went to the NCAAs last year (CS Fullerton and Montana State) and a team that won the regular season crown (Seattle)

Not bad.  I went looking back at some old non-conference schedules from previous seasons, they have come a long way. 

• Like 1