SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Bracketology

farce poobah

Some years, by the start of February's games, things have settled.  Not this year:  the rankings by RPI (which drives Pairwise to a great degree) are thinly sliced between teams, a bunch of top talent is heading to the Olympic Games (but not evenly spread among top teams - some top teams are hit while others aren't), and there's still a pandemic threatening to cancel games and wreak havoc with schedules (take a look at how difficult St Cloud's February is - well at least on paper and if they actually play 10 games in 23 days that's as tough as I've seen).

So ... let's start with the PWR, Sunday morning 1/30/22, using CHN as a data source:

1. Michigan (betcha money they don't stay there)

2. MSU Mankato (no head coach and no top scorer for the Olympic duration)

3. Denver

4. Western Michigan  (can't believe Ronnie Attard wasn't picked to represent Team USA)

5. St Cloud St (no head coach and down two players)

6. Quinnipiac  (still only one loss in regulation ... to #12 below)

7. Michigan Tech 

8. UMD  (one player to the Olympics)

9. UMass

10. Ohio St

11. Minnesota (down three players to the Olympics)

12. North Dakota  (down one key player)

13. UMass- Lowell

14.  Providence

15. Notre Dame

16.  American International

Since American International makes the top 16, let's assume they get the Atlantic Hockey autobid, and let's assume Quinnipiace gets the ECAC autobid too.  And, let's assume there's no upsets in conference tournaments that get someone else in.

Worcester Regional:

1. Michigan  vs. 16. American International 

8.  UMD vs 9.  U Mass  

Comment:  Holy Cross is hosting, so putting their conference mates there makes some sense.  So does putting U Mass as a way to sell tickets.

Allentown Regional:

2.  MSU - Mankato vs 15. Notre Dame

7. Michigan Tech vs 10. Ohio State   

Comment: two Big Ten teams may help attendance there, and the top seed Mankato doesn't have to face a lower-seeded home team.

Loveland Regional:

3. Denver vs 14. Providence

5.  St Cloud State vs 11. Minnesota

Comment:  Denver as host gets to stay at home.  Swapped #6 Quinnipiac into Albany regional below since ECAC hosting there, and to avoid a first round matchup of #5 St Cloud and #12 North Dakota.

Albany Regional

4. Western Michigan vs 13. U Mass Lowell

6.  Quinnipiac vs 12 North Dakota

Comment:  ECAC hosting, so I'd expect Quinnipiac to be sent here.  

I'd bet lots of money the final brackets look nothing like this, but for now ... its a hint of how things might shake out.  Flame away!  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, farce poobah said:

Some years, by the start of February's games, things have settled.  Not this year:  the rankings by RPI (which drives Pairwise to a great degree) are thinly sliced between teams, a bunch of top talent is heading to the Olympic Games (but not evenly spread among top teams - some top teams are hit while others aren't), and there's still a pandemic threatening to cancel games and wreak havoc with schedules (take a look at how difficult St Cloud's February is - well at least on paper and if they actually play 10 games in 23 days that's as tough as I've seen).

So ... let's start with the PWR, Sunday morning 1/30/22, using CHN as a data source:

1. Michigan (betcha money they don't stay there)

2. MSU Mankato (no head coach and no top scorer for the Olympic duration)

3. Denver

4. Western Michigan  (can't believe Ronnie Attard wasn't picked to represent Team USA)

5. St Cloud St (no head coach and down two players)

6. Quinnipiac  (still only one loss in regulation ... to #12 below)

7. Michigan Tech 

8. UMD  (one player to the Olympics)

9. UMass

10. Ohio St

11. Minnesota (down three players to the Olympics)

12. North Dakota  (down one key player)

13. UMass- Lowell

14.  Providence

15. Notre Dame

16.  American International

Since American International makes the top 16, let's assume they get the Atlantic Hockey autobid, and let's assume Quinnipiace gets the ECAC autobid too.  And, let's assume there's no upsets in conference tournaments that get someone else in.

Worcester Regional:

1. Michigan  vs. 16. American International 

8.  UMD vs 9.  U Mass  

Comment:  Holy Cross is hosting, so putting their conference mates there makes some sense.  So does putting U Mass as a way to sell tickets.

Allentown Regional:

2.  MSU - Mankato vs 15. Notre Dame

7. Michigan Tech vs 10. Ohio State   

Comment: two Big Ten teams may help attendance there, and the top seed Mankato doesn't have to face a lower-seeded home team.

Loveland Regional:

3. Denver vs 14. Providence

5.  St Cloud State vs 11. Minnesota

Comment:  Denver as host gets to stay at home.  Swapped #6 Quinnipiac into Albany regional below since ECAC hosting there, and to avoid a first round matchup of #5 St Cloud and #12 North Dakota.

Albany Regional

4. Western Michigan vs 13. U Mass Lowell

6.  Quinnipiac vs 12 North Dakota

Comment:  ECAC hosting, so I'd expect Quinnipiac to be sent here.  

I'd bet lots of money the final brackets look nothing like this, but for now ... its a hint of how things might shake out.  Flame away!  

Hopefully the NCHC will get 5 teams at the show, Omaha, CC or Miami would likely need to win the NCHC tourney to advance.

So much to factor in with Olympic temporary departures and Covid, but I, like most of you, like our chances better now than a week ago:

The remaining schedule favors UND To maintain a top 3 spot in the league. No game is easy but we play Duluth, Western (only 2 top five) and then Omaha twice(4 games) and CC.

Denver plays 3 of their remaining series against the top five (SC, Western and Duluth) and then Omaha and CC.

Western also plays 3 of their remaining against top five (SC, Denver and UND) and then CC and Miami.

Duluth plays 4 of their remaining series agains top five (SC twice, Denver and UND) and then Miami. 

St Cloud (need to make up 2 games) also play 4 of their remaining agains top five (Denver, Western, and Duluth twice) and Omaha and CC. Plus 12 games in 28 days.   

Omaha, CC and Miami are not mathematically out of it, but they would have to step on the gas big time to improve their bottom 3 spots.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mattim said:

Hopefully the NCHC will get 5 teams at the show, Omaha, CC or Miami would likely need to win the NCHC tourney to advance.

So much to factor in with Olympic temporary departures and Covid, but I, like most of you, like our chances better now than a week ago:

The remaining schedule favors UND To maintain a top 3 spot in the league. No game is easy but we play Duluth, Western (only 2 top five) and then Omaha twice(4 games) and CC.

Denver plays 3 of their remaining series against the top five (SC, Western and Duluth) and then Omaha and CC.

Western also plays 3 of their remaining against top five (SC, Denver and UND) and then CC and Miami.

Duluth plays 4 of their remaining series agains top five (SC twice, Denver and UND) and then Miami. 

St Cloud (need to make up 2 games) also play 4 of their remaining agains top five (Denver, Western, and Duluth twice) and Omaha and CC. Plus 12 games in 28 days.   

Omaha, CC and Miami are not mathematically out of it, but they would have to step on the gas big time to improve their bottom 3 spots.

This a year where finishing #1 or #2 really helps your odds of getting to St Paul.  Finishing 4th gives you a real nightmare opponent.

Omaha as the 6th best NCHC in the Pairwise is also a tough out.  They have beaten some good teams already. 

DU seems to be sitting pretty at this point. They didn’t lose anyone to the Olympics and while they have to face Duluth and St. Cloud in the coming weeks, both SCSU and UMD will be missing a few key players in those series. Plus, DU wraps up their schedule with 4 games against Omaha and CC, respectfully. I expect DU to win all 4 of those with relative ease. 

32 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

DU seems to be sitting pretty at this point. They didn’t lose anyone to the Olympics and while they have to face Duluth and St. Cloud in the coming weeks, both SCSU and UMD will be missing a few key players in those series. Plus, DU wraps up their schedule with 4 games against Omaha and CC, respectfully. I expect DU to win all 4 of those with relative ease. 

I agree that DU is in the drivers seat. The Clowns (they still have plenty of firepower) are hurt more by the Olympics than the Dogs, and playing either team is more difficult than playing Miami, CC or Opieha. Miami (I watched part of their games last weekend waiting for the Sioux) gave DU a battle and came within a whisker of stealing game one! You failed to mention Western who has the skill and ability to sweep DU, I may be wrong but I think that series is at the ZOO.

No question about it, DU should win the first seed in the NCHC.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Clark17 said:

How I have it if today was the day:

thumbnail_IMG_2192.thumb.jpg.9000475acf2e048d34e9b4e9941aae82.jpg

So … it’s not that St Cloud is losing, they are tanking so they don’t get sent to Colorado.  

and … what’s the over/under on how many minutes of game time would be required for MSU vs Quinnipiac in the Albany Final?  I’ll start the betting line at 110 minutes.  First goal wins! 

maybe we could talk Western Michigan into tanking so they get that Michigan matchup we all want to see. 

Predicting the final Brackets:

Worcester:   

1. Michigan v 16. AIC

8. U Mass V 9. Duluth

Allentown:

2. Mankato v 15. U Conn

7. Western v 10. Michigan Tech.  (UND will pick up points vs Western but not enough to become a #1 seed)

Loveland:

3. Denver v 14. BU

5. Sioux v 11. Norte Dame

Albany:

4. Gophers v 12. St Cloud

6. Quinn v 13. Ohio St.

Not sure if i did this correct but had to move St. Cloud, Norte Dame and Ohio St around so that teams did not meet conference foe in the first game. 

15 hours ago, farce poobah said:

So … it’s not that St Cloud is losing, they are tanking so they don’t get sent to Colorado.  

and … what’s the over/under on how many minutes of game time would be required for MSU vs Quinnipiac in the Albany Final?  I’ll start the betting line at 110 minutes.  First goal wins! 

maybe we could talk Western Michigan into tanking so they get that Michigan matchup we all want to see. 

You do realize MSU is the second highest scoring team in the country, right?

7 minutes ago, bale31 said:

You do realize MSU is the second highest scoring team in the country, right?

Yes, and they are playing the only team with a better Goals-Against per game than MSU has.  Dryden McKay at 1.25 GAA is superb, and then I see Yaniv Perets at 0.85.  (Granted MSU has played a much stronger schedule ... but still.)

PS Congrats on the 5th straight conference title.  Guys walking around with five rings is rare indeed.

13 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

Yes, and they are playing the only team with a better Goals-Against per game than MSU has.  Dryden McKay at 1.25 GAA is superb, and then I see Yaniv Perets at 0.85.  (Granted MSU has played a much stronger schedule ... but still.)

PS Congrats on the 5th straight conference title.  Guys walking around with five rings is rare indeed.

Touche.

Honestly, I'm gonna do to qu what everyone has historically done to msu. Qu has been awful against anyone that has been good and feasted on everyone else. I think they are going to end up getting beat up in the ncaas.

If bemidji wouldn't have played out of their ass in the conference and awful against everyone else in 2017, it would have been 8 in a row.

QU's losses: UND, Cornell, Clarkson, Harvard <-- the UND and Cornell losses tell me what kind of game to play to beat QU ;) 

MSU-M losses: SCSU, Michigan, Ferris State, Lake Superior State, NMU <-- the SCSU and Mich losses tell me you can out-offense if you have the horses

10 minutes ago, bale31 said:

Touche.

Honestly, I'm gonna do to qu what everyone has historically done to msu. Qu has been awful against anyone that has been good and feasted on everyone else. I think they are going to end up getting beat up in the ncaas.

If bemidji wouldn't have played out of their ass in the conference and awful against everyone else in 2017, it would have been 8 in a row.

I think all the #1 seeds (and #3 seeds) would love to see Quinnipiac in their bracket instead of MSU or the other top teams out west.  The only challenge is getting goal #1.

On 1/31/2022 at 6:25 PM, Godsmack said:

I could see Denver split with Omaha if Omaha can limit trips to the penalty box and get Denver frustrated into taking penalties.  Starman says Denver has the best D corps in league but I disagree and say we do.  I will stay with my hunch that says Denver has peaked and teams are starting to figure out how to slow them down.  Denver's could get swept at Omaha possibly.

• Upvote 1

Throwing my guesses into the mix. Going on straight 1-16 current pairwise make the tourney (Putting in AIC as Atlantic Hockey auto bid). 

Allentown

1. MN State 16. AIC

8. Quinny 9. SCSU

Worcester

2. Michigan 15. UMass Lowell

7. Notre Dame 10. UMass

Loveland

3. Denver 13. Ohio St

6. W Mich 11. UMD 

Albany

4. Minnesota 14. Northeastern

5. UND 12. Michigan Tech 

2 minutes ago, Nashvegas said:

Throwing my guesses into the mix. Going on straight 1-16 current pairwise make the tourney (Putting in AIC as Atlantic Hockey auto bid). 

Allentown

1. MN State 16. AIC

8. Quinny 9. SCSU

Worcester

2. Michigan 15. UMass Lowell

7. Notre Dame 10. UMass

Loveland

3. Denver 13. Ohio St

6. W Mich 11. UMD 

Albany

4. Minnesota 14. Northeastern

5. UND 12. Michigan Tech

Couldn't have 6 vs 11 in round 1, as they are both NCHC teams.
In that scenario, it'd be easy to flip 10/11 and put UMass vs WMU in Loveland and UMD vs ND in Worcester.
Or flip 6/7 to keep two UMass schools in Worcester for attendance.

2 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Couldn't have 6 vs 11 in round 1, as they are both NCHC teams.
In that scenario, it'd be easy to flip 10/11 and put UMass vs WMU in Loveland and UMD vs ND in Worcester.
Or flip 6/7 to keep two UMass schools in Worcester for attendance.

You can if a conference has (5) teams in the tourney. If less than 5 they avoid first round matchups as much as possible.