SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Football Season

Dustin

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

With the Caden White injury, and the associated questions of depth at ILB, I kind of wish they'd have left Jack Ihry at ILB instead of moving him to TE. 

Maybe so.  But McNeal our highest recruit will do fine.  A great game to spread his hawk wings.  Damn did I tip interception.  Sorry.  Oh hell a sack as well.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

They can afford much more so maybe. Would be a fun matchup either way but why do they have cupcakes playing cupcakes?

Bus trips with the eastern teams in weak conferences.  I wouldn't mind Montana.  I think we could beat them home or away.  

Now if we win out the regular season we could switch places with NDSU and bring them to the Dome.  Now the makes want to griddy.

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

Bus trips with the eastern teams in weak conferences.  I wouldn't mind Montana.  I think we could beat them home or away.  

Now if we win out the regular season we could switch places with NDSU and bring them to the Dome.  Now the makes want to griddy.

Win out and UND might have a seed and could give the Bison their 3rd , 4th or even 5th loss if they destruct…..

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Not enough money to buy out Bubbas contract! Do some research……

Why would NDSU funding buy out Bubba’s contract? And UND does have money, just heavily situated in hockey.  

And Bubba has been extended twice now despite losing seasons; the notion that “it’s happened now so we have to deal with it” is certainly not a solution, but rather an excuse. 

You’re right in that UND definitely does need to raise more money for football, however. 

12 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

UND not competitive on and off football field … the attitude of “aww shucks, we’ll just go play them on the road” will be the cheap strategy that crushes UND. UND was awful at Washington-Griz Stadium under Bubba. Would be another blowout loss, most likely. 

Of course, this is all hypothetical. But UND needs to be aggressive with their bids, and really all things financially related to UND football. 

13 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

Maybe so.  But McNeal our highest recruit will do fine.  A great game to spread his hawk wings.  Damn did I tip interception.  Sorry.  Oh hell a sack as well.

Been wondering when we will see him a lot in a game. I know he's been on KO unit and a few plays here and there. 

I hope we see the really great recruit he's acclaimed to be.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND not competitive on and off football field … the attitude of “aww shucks, we’ll just go play them on the road” will be the cheap strategy that crushes UND. UND was awful at Washington-Griz Stadium under Bubba. Would be another blowout loss, most likely. 

Of course, this is all hypothetical. But UND needs to be aggressive with their bids, and really all things financially related to UND football. 

I will let you and the other folks who are beating this to death on some facts. First of all, you all have some valid points and valid concerns. Why you all seem to have a need to continue to throw these comments into most every thread says more about the people posting than it does about the coaches and programs. Positive change not only in sports but in successful organizations is not driven by those whose primary contributions are firing someone and complaining. There are a number of people working to move our programs forward but that group doesn’t include those with this attitude and it won’t. It is complicated because the discussions include not only FB but other sports and always what is best for UND and how it can be done successfully and to be able to sustain that success over time. It includes some who also want to bring back swimming, women’s hockey, baseball and so it’s complicated.So I guess if it makes you folks feel better, feel free to continue to the same negative rhetoric. The difference makers have no time for that nonsense, because seldom,  if ever, is there anything that would contribute to making the necessary positive change to move all programs forward.  Some of us had to learn that by experience and regret the time wasted with the shortsighted negative thinking. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

I will let you and the other folks who are beating this to death on some facts. First of all, you all have some valid points and valid concerns. Why you all seem to have a need to continue to throw these comments into most every thread says more about the people posting than it does about the coaches and programs. Positive change not only in sports but in successful organizations is not driven by those whose primary contributions are firing someone and complaining. There are a number of people working to move our programs forward but that group doesn’t include those with this attitude and it won’t. It is complicated because the discussions include not only FB but other sports and always what is best for UND and how it can be done successfully and to be able to sustain that success over time. It includes some who also want to bring back swimming, women’s hockey, baseball and so it’s complicated.So I guess if it makes you folks feel better, feel free to continue to the same negative rhetoric. The difference makers have no time for that nonsense, because seldom,  if ever, is there anything that would contribute to making the necessary positive change to move all programs forward.  Some of us had to learn that by experience and regret the time wasted with the shortsighted negative thinking. 

As always, wisdom from Ira.

cue the “its fans like you that keep UND football from being great…” in 4-3-2-1

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Positive change not only in sports but in successful organizations is not driven by those whose primary contributions are firing someone and complaining

Understood. Positive change can come with a positive new hire at head coach, though, which could actuate a positive culture shift for UND football. Just so happens that you have to terminate the head coach, though, before you can move forward with that positive change. Extending the head coach after losing seasons prevents such positive change, however. I get you’re trying to be constructive and comprehensive without considering folks having to lose their job, but sometimes, realistically, position-change is by far the most efficient way to actuate large scale positive change. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that, but at some point, whether after 3 years or 30 years, the job turns over.

Last time UND made a change to football leadership, in 2013, it just didn’t represent firing and hiring, but it also represented an increased emphasis on UND football spending and expectations. The UND coaching salary pool increased with that move in 2013. In some ways, hoping for another move towards new leadership is not a strike against Bubba, but rather a hope that UND will again up the ante for football. 

10 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

There are a number of people working to move our programs forward but that group doesn’t include those with this attitude and it won’t. It is complicated because the discussions include not only FB but other sports and always what is best for UND and how it can be done successfully and to be able to sustain that success over time. It includes some who also want to bring back swimming, women’s hockey, baseball and so it’s complicated.

I can appreciate its complicated. But if sustained success is truthfully the goal, I’m definitely in the camp that emphasizing hockey and belittling all other clubs is not the correct strategy. The Ralph Engelstad Arena agreement complicates the picture, unfortunately. Additionally, there’s definitely a huge camp that is traditional and not forward thinking: “UND is a hockey school” crowd does not believe there can be nor should there be a different alignment for UND athletics. UND’s regional competitors have been ascending to new heights while UND stays behind the times. 

11 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Extending the head coach after losing seasons prevents such positive change, however.

Even as a person who's been trying to stay positive on all things football, this was an egregious error that sends a bad message short term.  His former contract was not expiring at the end of the season, so that decision should have been held back at least one year.  However, whether that was a poor decision can't be known yet, as much as some people wish that it would have manifested already.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

The agreement you are so fond of referencing applies to not only football, but also volleyball, men's basketball, women's basketball, and hockey. (I have the document courtesy of @nodak651.) 

Yes, it allows another entity (not solely UND athletics) to manage UND ticket revenue along with how a major facility (REA) functions (or fails to function) for the purpose of UND athletics. 

8 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Yes, it allows another entity (not solely UND athletics) to manage UND ticket revenue along with how a major facility (REA) functions for UND athletics. 

Yes, an entity which by its very existence, and by its public tax filings (Form 990), that exists "for the benefit of UND Athletics" (from Form 990). 

That entity can do things for UND Athletics that (State entity) UND Athletics can not do. As a private entity it can war chest monies for future endeavors, it can contract without public bid process, it can quickly add and reduce staff as needed without going through state hiring processes. And as a non-profit for the benefit of a university it remains tax exempt. And as a non-profit should they be shown to not be living up to their charter the IRS crashes in upon them. 

If you're saying it was set up all wrong by Ralph, and Earl Strinden, do tell how you'd do it better. 

PS - If you don't like 990 filers benefitting UND you must also hate the UND Alumni Foundation and the UND Aerospace Foundation.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

if we couldn't/can't outbid a juco in louisana how the hell are we gonna outbid the griz?

2 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

We need to win, including that last game of the season, so this scenario doesn't happen.

I doubt They would have us in a potential second round game at NDSU when we were jsut there 2 weeks prior.  I would say butting then in a bracket to play Sac St. if we win is more likely.  

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Yes, an entity which by its very existence, and by its public tax filings (Form 990), that exists "for the benefit of UND Athletics" (from Form 990). 

That entity can do things for UND Athletics that (State entity) UND Athletics can not do. As a private entity it can war chest monies for future endeavors, it can contract without public bid process, it can quickly add and reduce staff as needed without going through state hiring processes. And as a non-profit for the benefit of a university it remains tax exempt. And as a non-profit should they be shown to not be living up to their charter the IRS crashes in upon them. 

If you're saying it was set up all wrong by Ralph, and Earl Strinden, do tell how you'd do it better. 

PS - If you don't like 990 filers benefitting UND you must also hate the UND Alumni Foundation and the UND Aerospace Foundation.

Stating to the IRS that REA, inc. exists for the “benefit of UND athletics” doesn’t obligate REA, inc. to do anything specific. What “benefits” UND athletics is completely open to interpretation. Would you like to explain what IRS Form 990 legally obligates REA, inc. to do? I appreciate your comments on being able to “war chest monies”, make swift staffing adjustments, and be tax exempt.

Certainly doesn’t require REA, inc. to give UND athletics the majority of ticket revenue, or require REA, inc. to use the current logo of said UND athletics. In other words, IRS form 990 filed by REA, inc. sounds like it contains a bunch of superficial nonsense. 

I do not hate the UND Alumni Association or UND Aerospace Foundation because I do not limit by opinion of organizations to whether or not they’ve filed using a 990. 

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Stating to the IRS that REA, inc. exists for the “benefit of UND athletics” doesn’t obligate REA, inc. to do anything specific.  

But it opens them wide to audit and loss of tax exempt status. So they best live to the words in such a manner that a reasonable person could recognize it. 

Again, if there's a better way, please do define it.