SiouxSports.com Forum

Fenton new Summit Commish

nodakvindy

4 hours ago, FSSD said:

Interesting read today:

Between the Lines: Midseason Report : College Hockey News

If this happens, it may finally be the push for Miami and Western Michigan to go to the more geographically-centered CCHA. Miami has been the school more willing to do this over the years, but WMU has been reluctant. However, WMU will have a new athletic director soon, and has a new head coach, so this could change.

This article has hints of smoke around the Summit League.  Again, interesting stuff will it come true who knows.

It makes a hell of a lot of sense to me.  Interestingly, Omaha decided not to make a presentation to the MVC this past weekend.  Maybe Fenton called them and hinted at Summit hockey?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

It makes a hell of a lot of sense to me.  Interestingly, Omaha decided not to make a presentation to the MVC this past weekend.  Maybe Fenton called them and hinted at Summit hockey?

The Valley would want UNO to prioritize BB over hockey. I'm thinking that's a non-starter. 

Lots of moving parts in that scenario.  Still not sure why Miami and Western willingly go to to a weaker conference just for the sake of travel.  Adding Augie, St. Thomas and potentially UMKC goes against most of what the NCHC was established on. All indications are that USD and SDSU are not at all keen on admitting Augie to the Summit. And how would the other Dakota 4 feel about the conference putting priority on hockey.  In a vacuum in might make a little sense, but it goes against the interests and goals of a lot of entities.

The NCHC is having another banner year in terms of team success, not sure why their so many seem to want to shake up the membership.  Only foreseeable change that makes sense to me would be adding Arizona St.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

Lots of moving parts in that scenario.  Still not sure why Miami and Western willingly go to to a weaker conference just for the sake of travel.  Adding Augie, St. Thomas and potentially UMKC goes against most of what the NCHC was established on. All indications are that USD and SDSU are not at all keen on admitting Augie to the Summit. And how would the other Dakota 4 feel about the conference putting priority on hockey.  In a vacuum in might make a little sense, but it goes against the interests and goals of a lot of entities.

The NCHC is having another banner year in terms of team success, not sure why their so many seem to want to shake up the membership.  Only foreseeable change that makes sense to me would be adding Arizona St.

there is a reason why conferences like "conference usa" don't have loyal long standing members....especially up north like this having a tight regionally based conference instead of the alphabet conferences und is in makes sense....

give a quiz to the biggest sioux fan you know and have them name the 3 conferences that und is currently in and wait for it.....

3 minutes ago, FSSD said:

Is it "TSL, NCHC, MVFC" or is it "NCHC and Big Sky" or is it "NCHC and Great West" or is it "WCHA and Great West" or is it "WCHA and NCC".  Oh dang it - you said "3"!.  So, it has to be "TSL, NCHC, and MVFC".  Did I get it right?  :p

my best friend thinks we are in the Missouri Valley Southern Football Conference...and i think he's serious when he says it.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

my best friend thinks we are in the Missouri Valley Southern Football Conference...and i think he's serious when he says it.

Well the Missouri Valley Northern Football Conference has Winnipeg, Flin Flon, Winkler, Steinbach, Regina and Saskatoon, eh. ;) 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

there is a reason why conferences like "conference usa" don't have loyal long standing members....especially up north like this having a tight regionally based conference instead of the alphabet conferences und is in makes sense....

give a quiz to the biggest sioux fan you know and have them name the 3 conferences that und is currently in and wait for it.....

An actual fan would know would conference UND plays in, that's a marketing and promotions problem and I won't even touch that, as it goes at least as long as we have been in Division I.  College hockey exists of almost entirely single sport conferences.  UND is in what is by far the besct one, and I'm not sure why you want to ruin that.

Football is the best path to stability in the Summit.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

An actual fan would know would conference UND plays in, that's a marketing and promotions problem and I won't even touch that, as it goes at least as long as we have been in Division I.  College hockey exists of almost entirely single sport conferences.  UND is in what is by far the besct one, and I'm not sure why you want to ruin that.

Football is the best path to stability in the Summit.

who said ruin....fenton is trying to build off of it

1 hour ago, nodakvindy said:

Football is the best path to stability in the Summit.

So don't move hockey to the summit. Combine the summit and nchc and create the national collegiate conference, or NCC for short :wink:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

Because it has worked so well for the Big Ten teams to get out of the WCHA to be in the same league in every sport.  

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

Yep. Add ASU and either Bowling Green or Mankato.

6 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Isn't your wet dream to join the Little 7 Hockey Conference because you think there will be a big pot of gold at the end of the rainbow? #simplequestion

i'm all for growing ALL UND sports so if joining the big10 in hockey helps not only the hockey side but all the other sports that some people on here have never heard of (basketball...volleyball)...i'm all for.

On 12/21/2021 at 11:01 AM, nodakvindy said:

What scenerio are you referring to?  Is anyone advocating for Augie to be added to either the Summit or anything hockey related?  If the answer is no, then I don't see what your worry is?  They provide zero strategic value to either conference.  I don't really see how St. Thomas getting involved in a hypothetical Summit Hockey conference "would go against most of what the NCHC was founded on".  UST has money, will build a new hockey venue within the next couple years, and they have a passionate fan base that could greatly improve the conference tournament in terms of both ticket sales and atmosphere.  UST strives for excellence in everything they do, and I fail to see how they are anything like the small-minded leach schools that we left behind in the WCHA, they sure as heck provide more value than a school like ASU would.  What's in it for non-Summit hockey schools?  Well, having a presence in the single best hockey recruiting hotbed in the country doesn't hurt, and UST would become, by far, the second closest road trip for Miami and WMU.

If moves aren't made now, UST could very well be gone within 5 years, which would be a shame given that their presence in the Twin Cities is of paramount importance to anyone who cares about improving the perception, profile, and desirability of the Summit league, long term (think other Dakota schools).  

In addition to the benefits of UST that I already mentioned, a bonus for DU and CC is that a Twin Cities presence would also help with recruiting to the overall student body - see the decision making process behind why the MVC is targeting for expansion the schools that they are, for reference.  SCSU and UMD would benefit in this regard as well, as they wouldn't otherwise be playing games in the Twin Cities for any other sport.

Most importantly, nothing HAS to be done, especially until funding is in place or shovels are in the ground, but know this, If nothing is done in an effort to "lock" UST or a school like Omaha into the Summit league, and we fail to improve the stability and desirability of the conference soon, please accept that there is nobody standing in line to replace the schools that leave, and we sure as heck will be guaranteed to end up with additions like Augi or worse.  

Regarding UMKC, one rumor doesn't mean they are adding hockey... we have all seen how unreliable reports of new hockey programs are, and it would be even more unlikely that they add the sport without support from conference members and investment in a new arena.  Even then, they would at least have a new arena in a former NHL city.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, nodak651 said:

If moves aren't made now, UST could very well be gone within 5 years, which would be a shame given that their presence in the Twin Cities is of paramount importance to anyone who cares about improving the perception, profile, and desirability of the Summit league, long term (think other Dakota schools).  

To where? Are you talking hockey only or all sports?

MVC, which is losing it's luster, would be the only other realistic option at this point. Unless a conference from further away decides they wants a MSP/StP presence.

Like pretty much anyone else, I don't think they will let their hockey affiliation be the sole determiner to dictate the home for their Olympic sports, especially since the majority of their hockey options are single sport conferences or will allow affiliates. 

4 hours ago, jdub27 said:

To where? Are you talking hockey only or all sports?

MVC, which is losing it's luster, would be the only other realistic option at this point. Unless a conference from further away decides they wants a MSP/StP presence.

Like pretty much anyone else, I don't think they will let their hockey affiliation be the sole determiner to dictate the home for their Olympic sports, especially since the majority of their hockey options are single sport conferences or will allow affiliates. 

All sports to the MVC.  It doesn't matter if that conference is losing it's luster - it would still be a no brainer move for them and they would accept an MVC offer without a second thought, especially if such a move can be made without any detriment to their CCHA hockey program.

Now, lets say UST hockey is presented with that same MVC offer, with the only difference being that their hockey program plays in the best hockey conference in the country, the Summit League, rather than the CCHA.  Accepting that MVC offer now becomes incredibly difficult, because in doing so, they would simultaneously be required to make a conscious decision that actively damages their hockey program, as the Summit isn't offering hockey affiliation to a school that's exiting the conference.  Now they would also have to deal with pissed off donors and the bad pr among a bunch of other headaches that would result, and at a time when by which they should also have a new arena with seats to fill. 

We both agree that the MVC isn't what it used to be, and I think the situation I described above would easily be enough to tip the scales, especially if it allowed administrators to just stick with the status quo.  Also, to be clear, there aren't really enough hockey conference options for there to be a majority of anything, as it's literally only the single sport CCHA and whatever conference UND/SCSU/Duluth is in.