SiouxSports.com Forum

Fenton new Summit Commish

nodakvindy

Interesting that Fenton is leaving NCHC for the Summit. He's proven a pretty capable administrator and the NCHC has been an innovator. What will he bring to the Summit?  I think it's a positive move and he will be a good guy to have in charge in this changing college sports landscape. 

It will be interesting, as I am convinced, anyone really with some admin experience would have done a decent job running the NCHC given the institutions that make up the conference. They alone make it successful. Josh has done a good job steering the ship. I do believe there is room for improvement however. 

just thinking off the top of my head, others can add. 

1. Better streaming across the board-requiring a standard from schools. 

2. Better television deal. CBS is alright but I think it could be better

3. Moving the frozen Faceoff back to the Xcel was the right move. Glad that happened. Although, I kind of liked it in GF, ala last year. 

4. Possibly adding more teams?

5. Refs- This will probably always be an issue. :)

What do others think? Any replacement names come to mind?

My dark horse would be Erik Martinson. 

58 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Close, NCHC and Summit are merging 

CCHA teams leaving 

St Cloud and UMD are moving to D1

agreed...could be a possibility....this has been talked about before to solidify the summit

but it is weird he would leave the comfy nchc for a summit which is continually on life support....

3 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I'd say more the going than the coming but that is a solid start.

I would say getting all of the Summit teams to stream on ESPN+ for ALL sports. 

depends on who is coming and i say no to augie!!!!!!!!!

st thomas is short term...they will move up quick

kansas city, oral bob, and denver can and could leave at any time

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

didn't read the article but the headline mentions fenton saying something about "immediate active role in conference matters"....interesting.

Looks like there's a good chance that UMKC joins the MVC, along with Murray and UTA.  MVC may get up to 14th teams and if they decide to do that, the 14th school could potentially be ORU if they don't go the UIC route.  It was previously announced that the MVC was looking at ORU but those rumors seem to have died down, but then again, ORU is private so information is harder to come by, as they aren't subject to open records requests.  ORU announcing their huge basketball facility expansion recently could potentially have something to do with the MVC, and we just don't know it yet.  If UMKC isn't selected, UNO is on their radar as well.

https://www.extrapointsmb.com/tag/conference-realignment/ Paywall but worth it.  If you sign up for his newsletter I think you get an article for free in your email each week.

7 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Looks like there's a good chance that UMKC joins the MVC, along with Murray and UTA.  MVC may get up to 14th teams and if they decide to do that, the 14th school could potentially be ORU if they don't go the UIC route.  It was previously announced that the MVC was looking at ORU but those rumors seem to have died down, but then again, ORU is private so information is harder to come by, as they aren't subject to open records requests.  ORU announcing their huge basketball facility expansion recently could potentially have something to do with the MVC, and we just don't know it yet.  If UMKC isn't selected, UNO is on their radar as well.

https://www.extrapointsmb.com/tag/conference-realignment/ Paywall but worth it.  If you sign up for his newsletter I think you get an article for free in your email each week.

if all that crap is true or could be happening why would he leave the nchc for that pile of crap?  

josh was hired for a reason...not sure of that reason right now but this will be fun to watch

bring back the old NCC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Murray, UTA & UMKC were the 3 schools mentioned prior to Loyola leaving the MVC for the A10.  Now that Loyola has left, I believe UIC is #1 on the list of replacements.  If UIC departs the Horizon League, it leaves Milwaukee & Green Bay on an island from the rest of the Horizon and as potential additions to the Summit.

• Like 1

if all that crap is true or could be happening why would he leave the nchc for that pile of crap?  

josh was hired for a reason...not sure of that reason right now but this will be fun to watch

bring back the old NCC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps NCHC commissioner  Fenton's move to the Summit league is a foreshadowing to the Summit League starting hockey, which is plausible, as DU and UND are both Summit Members and they are also the two schools that kicked off the discussion that later developed into the creation of the NCHC.  With St. Thomas having so much potential, which makes them a huge flight risk after their transition, could Fenton be planning to bring them on board in a new Summit hockey conference?  St. Thomas cares a lot about their hockey program, so if the Summit can bring the NCHC under it's wing, St. Thomas would have to pull their hockey team out of what would be the best hockey conference in the nation if they want to join a league like the MVC down the road, and that decision would become extremely difficult, instead of a no-brainer.  If the Summit needed additional members, Minnesota State also has a legit hockey program in addition to their legit basketball facilities and nearly perfect geographical proximity to other Summit League schools.  MN State would likely be on the Summit Leagues short list if they need to add anyone, and in regard to SCSU, they would just be along for the ride in hockey only I think.  If the Summit league added hockey and if it were to disallow full members from becoming hockey affiliates upon departure, it would also lock Denver into the summit league long term, as there would be no place to put their hockey program and they wouldn't want to jeopardize it.  Remember - the new Summit commissioner is well liked among everyone in the NCHC...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goyotes said:

Murray, UTA & UMKC were the 3 schools mentioned prior to Loyola leaving the MVC for the A10.  Now that Loyola has left, I believe UIC is #1 on the list of replacements.  If UIC departs the Horizon League, it leaves Milwaukee & Green Bay on an island from the rest of the Horizon and as potential additions to the Summit.

Milwaukee would be a perfect add IMO.  There's a lot to like about that school for the Summit.

UIC makes the most sense to me as well.  

2 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Perhaps NCHC commissioner  Fenton's move to the Summit league is a foreshadowing to the Summit League starting hockey, which is plausible, as DU and UND are both Summit Members and they are also the two schools that kicked off the discussion that later developed into the creation of the NCHC.  With St. Thomas having so much potential, which makes them a huge flight risk after their transition, could Fenton be planning to bring them on board in a new Summit hockey conference?  St. Thomas cares a lot about their hockey program, so if the Summit can bring the NCHC under it's wing, St. Thomas would have to pull their hockey team out of what would be the best hockey conference in the nation if they want to join a league like the MVC down the road, and that decision would become extremely difficult, instead of a no-brainer.  If the Summit needed additional members, Minnesota State also has a legit hockey program in addition to their legit basketball facilities and nearly perfect geographical proximity to other Summit League schools.  MN State would likely be on the Summit Leagues short list if they need to add anyone, and in regard to SCSU, they would just be along for the ride in hockey only I think.  If the Summit league added hockey and if it were to disallow full members from becoming hockey affiliates upon departure, it would also lock Denver into the summit league long term, as there would be no place to put their hockey program and they wouldn't want to jeopardize it.  Remember - the new Summit commissioner is well liked among everyone in the NCHC...

100% this could be why....lock em in or lock em out.....no more revolving doors!

don't forget about bemidji state!!!!!!!!!

5 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

could probably leverage this thinking into summit football too.....

could probably leverage this thinking into summit football too.....

I got laughed off Bisonville for that take.  But if NDSU/SDSU are smart, they need to try to leverage football to improve the Summit league as a whole.  If the Summit League could poach UNI and, say, Illinois State or Missouri State, the Summit league could legitimately surpass the MVC if that conference is stupid enough to add schools like UMKC and UTA, imo.  UNI should even push for this, IMO.  UNI would be super close to the basketball tournament in Sioux Falls, travel would be pretty good with St. Thomas, the South Dakota Schools, and UNO nearby, and they would probably have better access to the NCAA tournament, as they would immediately become the best or one of the best programs in the league, and have they ever even been selected as an at-large in the valley?  Maybe once?   

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I got laughed off Bisonville for that take.  But if NDSU/SDSU are smart, they need to try to leverage football to improve the Summit league as a whole.  If the Summit League could poach UNI and, say, Illinois State or Missouri State, the Summit league could legitimately surpass the MVC if that conference is stupid enough to add schools like UMKC and UTA, imo.  UNI should even push for this, IMO.  UNI would be super close to the basketball tournament in Sioux Falls, travel would be pretty good with St. Thomas, the South Dakota Schools, and UNO nearby, and they would probably have better access to the NCAA tournament, as they would immediately become the best or one of the best programs in the league, and have they ever even been selected as an at-large in the valley?  Maybe once?   

uni would be great get but that is a tough sell...BUT hockey is a big ticket around there....so you want into the best hockey conference do ya!!!!!! well it's all or nothing mr northern iowa ad...!!!!

i like this thinking...making more and more sense.