SiouxSports.com Forum

Fenton new Summit Commish

nodakvindy

24 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

could probably leverage this thinking into summit football too.....

Agreed.  You want to pull football in another conference as “football only”.  Have fun finding a conference for all your non revenue sports. 

Just now, homer said:

Agreed.  You want to pull football in another conference as “football only”.  Have fun finding a conference for all your non revenue sports. 

plus this messes with anyone want to move their football team only to the mwc...cough cough...sdsu.......

If UMKC goes to MVC, then I think you try to make the bold play and help Western Illinois go to the OVC and ORU back to the Southland (better geographic fit).  Then you invite 5 from the Big Sky (Montanas, Idaho, EWU and Weber).  That gives you 12 schools, 9 football (10 if St. Thomas moves up).  You also have divisons to cut travel for olympic sports.  This would be the new elite football conference in FCS and a pretty decent mid-major basketball league that could in short order rival the diminished MVC.  I'd also like to see an academic/research consortium set up similar to how the Big 10 has, that would likely have more financial benefit that the sports element would.

Summit East

UND-NDSU

USD-SDSU

Omaha-St. Thomas

Summit West

Montana-Montana St

Idaho-EWU

Weber St.-Denver

3 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

If UMKC goes to MVC, then I think you try to make the bold play and help Western Illinois go to the OVC and ORU back to the Southland (better geographic fit).  Then you invite 5 from the Big Sky (Montanas, Idaho, EWU and Weber).  That gives you 12 schools, 9 football (10 if St. Thomas moves up).  You also have divisons to cut travel for olympic sports.  This would be the new elite football conference in FCS and a pretty decent mid-major basketball league that could in short order rival the diminished MVC.  I'd also like to see an academic/research consortium set up similar to how the Big 10 has, that would likely have more financial benefit that the sports element would.

Summit East

UND-NDSU

USD-SDSU

Omaha-St. Thomas

Summit West

Montana-Montana St

Idaho-EWU

Weber St.-Denver

nope...fenton is gonna try to lockup the midwest....as much as i loved the big sky that's over.

32 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

To me, Fenton going NCHC --> Summit says the first step is the Summit takes over administration (merge of staff and work) of the NCHC. Next would probably be to bring St Thomas into the NCHC. After that ... 

I think St. Thomas has a little to prove before they join the NCHC.  They got into the Summit because the Summit was desparate.  That isn't the case with the NCHC.  The NCHC current setup is ideal, and at this point St. Thomas adds very little if anything to the league.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

I think St. Thomas has a little to prove before they join the NCHC.  They got into the Summit because the Summit was desparate.  That isn't the case with the NCHC.  The NCHC current setup is ideal, and at this point St. Thomas adds very little if anything to the league.

Not presently.  But when the MVC comes calling in a few years Summit hockey could anchor them here long term - same goes for UNO with MVC/Horizon, and DU with western conferences.  The Summit could also add hockey and allow them to play in the CCHA for a couple years - this ain't the Big10.  This could make a huge difference in stabilizing Summit membership, and combining the leagues would likely give the combined league a better hand to negotiate with for rights packages and for marketing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

To me, Fenton going NCHC --> Summit says the first step is the Summit takes over administration (merge of staff and work) of the NCHC. Next would probably be to bring St Thomas into the NCHC. After that ... 

Or......being the commissioner of an all-sports conference gives someone both higher pay and a lot more future career opportunities.

Would the NCHC falling under the Summit umbrella actually be an overall net positive for them? Sure you can reduce administrative costs and your safety net is much broader, but they are already profitable and have a rainy day fund built up. Now those funds are used instead to help non-revenue sports.

4 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I got laughed off Bisonville for that take.  But if NDSU/SDSU are smart, they need to try to leverage football to improve the Summit league as a whole.  If the Summit League could poach UNI and, say, Illinois State or Missouri State, the Summit league could legitimately surpass the MVC if that conference is stupid enough to add schools like UMKC and UTA, imo.  UNI should even push for this, IMO.  UNI would be super close to the basketball tournament in Sioux Falls, travel would be pretty good with St. Thomas, the South Dakota Schools, and UNO nearby, and they would probably have better access to the NCAA tournament, as they would immediately become the best or one of the best programs in the league, and have they ever even been selected as an at-large in the valley?  Maybe once?   

This honestly what could be coming. The Summit teams dominate the MVFC so why not bring football underneath the Summit? If a hockey shake up happens again I can see Summit hickey forming too.

If they really get ambitious maybe they will talk to the CUSA about a merger. Kick the football schools out that don’t want to move to FBS and maybe lure UNI and MoSt and release western ill.

this could be interesting ! Something is going to happen!

• Like 2

Dear Comish:

Drop mirror schedule - Bring back the double headers with Thursday/Saturday or Friday/Saturday games (with travel partners we should be able to do this).

Work with NCHC to prevent overlap with DU, UNO, STU, UND on scheduling.

Start a preseason tournament with conference teams - Again more money for teams

This will maximize revenue for the programs which helps build the programs.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, FSSD said:

Dear Comish:

Drop mirror schedule - Bring back the double headers with Thursday/Saturday or Friday/Saturday games (with travel partners we should be able to do this).

think the friday/sat games (doulbe headers or not) will ever come back? those were awesome....

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

think the friday/sat games (doulbe headers or not) will ever come back? those were awesome....

I don't understand why not?  It would get more fans in the stands improve gameday atmosphere, students would miss less school, big attendance boost for both mens and womens, minimize game day expenses.  I don't care if the rest of DI doesn't do it..  Make the TSL unique.  Make this happen.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FSSD said:

Dear Comish:

Doubleheaders means fewer tickets, and probably less game day revenue with fewer overall days.

Rather than a preseason tournament maybe Summit League showcase events at the Target Center, Ball Center and Sprint Center, that would bring together three or four Summit teams and three or four non-conference teams for a Friday and Saturday or Saturday and Sunday, so each school gets a couple of quality non-conference games, fans can make it a hoops weekend and you get a little presence in big recruiting and media markets.

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Or conversely, could it save costs by not having to staff up two events (if you have poor attendance). 

I briefly considered that, but attendance would have to be very poor (I'm pretty sure at least the South Dakota schools would vigorously oppose this).  I'm sure local restaurants and bars also appreciate the additional game nights and it's an additional opportunity to get out for a night, even if for a shorter time.  Double headers are probably preferable for the hoops junkies, but single games for the casual fan. 

It will be interesting to see his response to the possibility of Kansas City leaving.  Missouri Valley is meeting next week I believe to decide on expansion.  Kolpack has tweeted out that UMKC basically has one foot out the door.  

Going back to 9 teams is really going to stink for league play in basketball.  It would be nice if Fenton has a plan to stop the Summit from being a transient stop-gap league. That is probably unlikely given that none of his predecessors could keep the revolving door of the conference closed since its inception.

Here's my guess on the new Fenton NCC 2.1 (merging of Summit, NCHC, and MVFC)

UND - 3 (FB, Oly, Hockey)

NDSU - 2 (FB and Oly)

USD - 2 (FB and Oly)

SDSU - 2 (FB and Oly)

Omaha - 2 (Oly and Hockey)

Denver - 2 (Oly and Hockey)

Saint Thomas - 3 (FB, Oly, Hockey)

Western Illinois -2 (FB and Oly)

Saint Cloud - 2 (Oly and Hockey)

Minnesota State - 3 (FB, Oly, and Hockey)

Duluth - 2 or 3 (FB?, Oly, and Hockey)

Colorado College - 1 or 2 (Oly? and Hockey)

8 for Football

8 for Hockey

12 for Olympic

+poach UNI and sub for CC but with the new arena can/would CC go D1?

On 12/8/2021 at 12:46 PM, nodakvindy said:

Summit East

UND-NDSU
USD-SDSU
Omaha-St. Thomas

Summit West

Montana-Montana St
Idaho-EWU
Weber St.-Denver

I'd like to see Fenton make a power play like this (even if it means "inviting" or "encouraging" UMKC and WIU and Oral Bob to find new homes). The group would be positioned to become the "Western MAC". 

The conference would own the high plains from MSP to DEN to SEA. 

It makes sense ... so it'll never happen. 

And I could start listing reasons why this can't happen, but I'm not sure the internet could hold them all.