SiouxSports.com Forum

Gophers Week

The Sicatoka

16 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

holy crap....wtf

they really really need to add THE UND to their conference.......

Even bringing back the old WCHA wouldn't fix the issues they have at the U, and it isn't lack of talent. I still don't get how they recruit high end kids to play in front of empty seats like that. 

There are too many other events in town, and the ticket prices are way overpriced. If they lowered the prices they might actually sell more. Though people definitely don't care as much about Big Ten matchups as they did about the old WCHA rivalries.

Growing up as a huge huge gopher fan when I was a kid, and going to the games when it was just packed and rowdy (all the way back to Williams Arena), its pretty sad to see how bad it has gotten.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Ditto and it's honestly not that close. I'll never understand anyone who says the rivalry is gone. They clearly haven't watched/listened to/felt the crowd energy around these games recently. 

Just like the whiny NDSU fans that want to pretend we don't have a rivalry anymore.

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

they really really need to add THE UND to their conference.......

They can't afford us. 

Before you misunderstand, I mean UND would need to make some stern demands, and get them all, before becoming a BTHC affiliate, namely:

- full autonomy on home game start times
- full rights to television on home games (for Midco contract) 
- full share of hockey BTN television revenues (as if not affiliate but as full B1G member, but just for hockey TV revenues; no partial shares because "affiliate") 
- full share of other B1G Hockey generated revenues 
- guarantee that for first five seasons as affiliate, UND Hockey revenues (inflation adjusted) at par or exceed last non-BTHC season (B1G to make whole if shortfall) 
- guaranteed scheduling agreements in other sports (MBB, WBB, FB, etc) meaning X games every Y seasons against someone in the B1G, including 20% of X being in Grand Forks

Otherwise, let Mariucci and Kohl sit empty and collect dust. 

PS - The day that happens my office will be 300 Twamley and @PCMwill be my press secretary. :D 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

money

What makes you think the Little 7 would make it worth our while? They would want us for our fan base, arena and tradition. But they would offer us pennies on the dollar for revenue because we aren't a "full member" of their precious conference. That is when we would tell the Little 7 to go pound sand.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

They can't afford us. 

Before you misunderstand, I mean UND would need to make some stern demands, and get them all, before becoming a BTHC affiliate, namely:

- full autonomy on home game start times
- full rights to television on home games (for Midco contract) 
- full share of hockey BTN television revenues (as if not affiliate but as full B1G member, but just for hockey TV revenues; no partial shares because "affiliate") 
- full share of other B1G Hockey generated revenues 
- guarantee that for first five seasons as affiliate, UND Hockey revenues (inflation adjusted) at par or exceed last non-BTHC season (B1G to make whole if shortfall) 
- guaranteed scheduling agreements in other sports (MBB, WBB, FB, etc) meaning X games every Y seasons against someone in the B1G, including 20% of X being in Grand Forks

Otherwise, let Mariucci and Kohl sit empty and collect dust. 

PS - The day that happens my office will be 300 Twamley and @PCMwill be my press secretary. :D 

Can you just negotiate full membership while you are at it? Then we can beat the gopher, pound the badgers, take their money, and laugh at the Bison playing football at their little FCS level :D

As for hockey, that team is still loaded, but they just haven't put it all together yet.  They have three defensemen from last year's US WJC team and added a top freshman forward. Oddly enough the biggest weakness has been their returning stud goalie.  

UND should benefit from having just seen a quick, tight-checking team like Duluth.  They'll need to play like they did last Saturday.

Given each team's off-season losses and additions, this was supposed to be the year MN turned the tables on UND.  We'll see this weekend if that is the case, or if UND's recent diet of NCHC opponents has them prepared to put up a fight. 

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

What makes you think the Little 7 would make it worth our while? They would want us for our fan base, arena and tradition. But they would offer us pennies on the dollar for revenue because we aren't a "full member" of their precious conference. That is when we would tell the Little 7 to go pound sand.

The big10 brand name attached to und is a huge thing.  

22 hours ago, farce poobah said:

Two months ago, if you told me UND would be sitting #2 in Pairwise and Minnesota at #20, I'd have asked for a shot of whatever you're drinking.   

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ratings/pairwise/

Key this weekend will be keeping our heads.  If we play them 5x5 for 60 minutes, and don't take extra penalties or lose a key D or F,  I like our chances.  

Anything less than a sweep will be devistating for our pairwise assuming the gophers stay on their current trajectory.

7 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

Anything less than a sweep will be devistating for our pairwise assuming the gophers stay on their current trajectory.

Devastating might be a bit aggressive, but I do think the Penn State loss does put even more emphasis on this weekend. Given the unknown health situation of this team, I'd be satisfied with a split. 

1 minute ago, AJS said:

Devastating might be a bit aggressive, but I do think the Penn State loss does put even more emphasis on this weekend. Given the unknown health situation of this team, I'd be satisfied with a split. 

Exactly.  It is hard to judge who needs this series more.  If we would lose three to Big Ten teams it could really damage our pairwise.  Minnesota sure could use wins against the NCHC as well.  Bottom line for UND is to learn from their losses to Penn State and Duluth, and stay out of the box.  I believe Minnesota mustered the split with Penn State by converting on a 5 on 3.  UND has to treat this series as critical to their NCAA tourney hopes.  I don't want to be talking after Friday night that UND needs to learn another lesson as to staying out of the box.   

We know that all of the Minnesotans and North Dakotans on Minnesota and UND know the importance of this series, let's hope the UND coaches and leadership can show some clips to express to the rest of the guys what this series means to the season, pairwise importance notwithstanding. 

2 hours ago, tnt said:

Exactly.  It is hard to judge who needs this series more.  If we would lose three to Big Ten teams it could really damage our pairwise.  Minnesota sure could use wins against the NCHC as well.  Bottom line for UND is to learn from their losses to Penn State and Duluth, and stay out of the box.  I believe Minnesota mustered the split with Penn State by converting on a 5 on 3.  UND has to treat this series as critical to their NCAA tourney hopes.  I don't want to be talking after Friday night that UND needs to learn another lesson as to staying out of the box.   

Do you think the Gophers will take a page out of the Friday game against Duluth and try to bait us into taking dumb, ill-advised penalties as a strategy to beat us and minimize playing us five on five? -I can’t speak to the Penn State game as I didn’t watch it but it sounded like we took too many penalties in that game too.