SiouxSports.com Forum

Gophers Week

The Sicatoka

9 hours ago, farce poobah said:

(For Gopher Week:  stick the dead gopher in the glove you took off, to hold your ID when getting searched upon entrance. )

My best ever game time smuggle in old REA? 
Two full turkey and taco meat grinders, one down each forearm of my jacket. 

The pros in my era pre-staged their items during Gopher or Badgers week. (I'm pure and innocent; I only served as technical advisor. ;) )  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The pros in my era pre-staged their items during Gopher or Badgers week. (I'm pure and innocent; I only served as technical advisor. ;) )  

A classmate of mine froze a badger flattened out in spread eagle position and duck taped it to his back under his winter parka.  Got in but got caught throwing it.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, shep said:

Loved how everyone got in lines at the old Ralph pregame, then when the doors were opened it was like a land rush in Oklahoma in the 1800s. NO RULES.

An afternoon at Buck Pitchers at the Spud made everyone happy.

It was the weekends when Hockey was out of town that were problematic.

Buck Pitchers at the Spud 11am-6pm

Buck Pitchers at The Bridge 3pm-7pm

Two for Ones at the Antique 7pm-8pm

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Pre-staged is a great word to describe…. Duct taping stuff under seats.   Or having the band smuggle in a 3-foot styrofoam puck.  In an instrument case.   “ Try to Stop this, sieve.”

6 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

Or having the band smuggle in a 3-foot styrofoam puck.  In an instrument case.   “ Try to Stop this, sieve.”

It is amazing what all can be ported down the bell of a sousaphone ... or so I've been told. 

• Upvote 2

Does anyone have memories of a Sioux/Gopher series at the old Ralph circa, late 70’s/early 80’s where, during warmups, every time the Gopher goalie got scored on, the student section would cheer loudly and then whenever he made a save, they’d boo loudly and heckle him. Eventually, it came to a head because the goalie charged and jumped the glass into the student section and all hell broke lose.

I was a little kid so my recollection of the specifics is fuzzy but I do remember witnessing this incident from my parents’ seats in section Q17. I’d love hearing from anyone who recalls this incident! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

You've narrowed it down to ... all of Walsh. 

Here's a Walsh story for ya.

A few years ago, I helped move my niece into her dorm. Not only was it Walsh but it was the same room I had my sophomore year. 

It was the same old and rather disgusting place I remembered.

Damn, I miss that place.

26 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I don’t recall godsmack story but I do recall an opponent goalie stirring about ten pucks in a row into our fans during warmups 

It was a Wisconsin goalie that did that, I believe Terry Kleisenger.   He would deflect shots in practice into the student section, and back then the glass was not as high.  Can't imagine what would happen to him today if he did that.  Would guess that some of their forwards had to be in on it as well.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Tbone said:

Welcome back.
The animate objects that you will witness this weekend in every seat at the Ralph are people. Real live people, actual fans.
You can remember what those were, eh?

LOL!!!

I am so cheap. I'll probably just listen to Wally & Frank on the audio stream. I need to make the road trip up there again. It has been so long. But I may not be treated well up there! 

• Upvote 1

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/7297086-Jake-Sanderson-expected-back-against-Minnesota-two-others-remain-out

Sanderson and Montgomery will both be available to play this weekend.
Kunz and Constantini both still going to be out of the lineup.

Gophers will have a full lineup.  Lucius and Cruikshank both recently came back from injuries and can play this weekend.

2 hours ago, Jupiter said:

LOL!!!

I am so cheap. I'll probably just listen to Wally & Frank on the audio stream. I need to make the road trip up there again. It has been so long. But I may not be treated well up there! 

Forgoing $100+ tickets isn’t necessarily being cheap.

Both UofM and UND sacrifice their best fans, the students, to maximize the profit of this series.

Don’t know, but I could easily guess that next years series of the Sioux in the John will be Thanksgiving weekend also.

I guess if I would look up the gopher football schedule for next year we could also figure out if the game will be Thursday/Friday like in 2019.

Edit: MN football at Camp Randall on Saturday, Nov 26. 

5 hours ago, shep said:

A few years ago, I helped move my niece into her dorm. Not only was it Walsh but it was the same room I had my sophomore year. 

Damn, I miss that place.

They got girls living in Walsh now or what?

5 hours ago, shep said:

Damn, I miss that place.

My dorm was the one literally closest to the C Store (assuming it’s all the same in there as it was when I was there)

6 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Never lived in Walsh - me was West - but from what I have heard there always have been girls living in Walsh

I lived in Walsh I’m pretty sure it was dudes only. Connected to Squires which was definitely girls only.