SiouxSports.com Forum

Gophers Week

The Sicatoka

1 hour ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Lots of fond memories in college back in the late 70s and early 80s playing the gophers. Wisconsin was a thing back then also. Fun - enjoyed it. 

The visiting Badgers fans always seemed cool and ready and willing to party at the bars with Sioux fans, win or lose.Is that a pretty accurate description?

• Upvote 4

Kind of surprising they continue to have games that have that poor of interest with the size of city and recent success. You’d think, even with other events in town, it would still be a big draw for those who want to watch good non-NHL hockey. But if you have to pay NHL prices you may as well go to the Wild and if you want to take kids I’m sure there’s junior leagues that are cheaper. 

1 hour ago, Langster019 said:

Kind of surprising they continue to have games that have that poor of interest with the size of city and recent success. You’d think, even with other events in town, it would still be a big draw for those who want to watch good non-NHL hockey. But if you have to pay NHL prices you may as well go to the Wild and if you want to take kids I’m sure there’s junior leagues that are cheaper. 

Still think for the “State of Hockey” and the simple tradition and history that Gophers Hockey has behind it that it would be more full

• Upvote 1

On 11/22/2021 at 9:08 AM, siouxfan512 said:

Just wanted to share some pre-covid Thankgiving weekend memories. Anything less than a sweep is unacceptable!

This could be be a big pairwise helper for us by the end of the season.

image.png.4361c61f42ce3d9fd647e246c526d74a.png

I remember watching that Thursday game, I wish they got to 10

2 minutes ago, shep said:

Loved how everyone got in lines at the old Ralph pregame, then when the doors were opened it was like a land rush in Oklahoma in the 1800s. NO RULES.

An afternoon at Buck Pitchers at the Spud made everyone happy.

Sounds familiar 

oh yea - the Spud.   Godsend for this financially challenged college student- thank god o didn’t have any classes Friday after 10:00 am

33 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Sounds familiar 

oh yea - the Spud.   Godsend for this financially challenged college student- thank god o didn’t have any classes Friday after 10:00 am

Soph year at Walsh, I and some buddies had Friday classes only until noon. It was off to the Spud after lunch.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, shep said:

Loved how everyone got in lines at the old Ralph pregame, then when the doors were opened it was like a land rush in Oklahoma in the 1800s. NO RULES.

An afternoon at Buck Pitchers at the Spud made everyone happy.

Land Rush indeed.   Fortunately, the front of the line was usually the same people, and wanted to capture the same seats each night.  (At least in the late 70's and early 80's.)

I remember only a couple nights where some of the smart people in the Farce asked people not to drink in line, or before getting in line. Those were the exceptionally cold - 35 with 35 mph winds - and it would have been dangerous.   But most nights, people wanted either see the snow snakes, or seek protection from the snow snakes.  Memory is somehow hazy on that point.

(For Gopher Week:  stick the dead gopher in the glove you took off, to hold your ID when getting searched upon entrance. )

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I remember one time kinda losing our bearings trying to get back to campus after an afternoon at the Spud and ended up 10 - 15 miles north of grand forks. To this day I don’t know what happened.

Why'd I hear banjo music in the background when I read that? 

• Upvote 2